Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword on Windows 10?

69 replies to this topic

#31 RandR

RandR

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

I've installed Windows 10 and my E-Sword is working okay but it doesn't retain any highlighting on any verse.  I will highlight as long as I don't change versions but when I change bible versions and return to the original version, the highlighting is gone. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  I've gone through every setting in E-Sword to no avail.  So frustrating!

#32 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

I've installed Windows 10 and my E-Sword is working okay but it doesn't retain any highlighting on any verse.  I will highlight as long as I don't change versions but when I change bible versions and return to the original version, the highlighting is gone. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  I've gone through every setting in E-Sword to no avail.  So frustrating!

The highlighting and underlining part of e-Sword is loaded into a file, of which accessed by opening a Markup file by clicking on the Open... in the Markup submenu. See screenshot below

Opening a Markup File

Attached File  Opening a Markup file.jpg   57.05K   16 downloads

More importantly, you can also create your own markup files of which can be used for various types of topics you want to highlighted in your Bible. For more information and how tos, refer to your e-Sword User Guide, Chapter 4, and read pages 74 - 79.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#33 Robert K Lewis

Robert K Lewis

New to Bible Support

• Members (T)
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBranson, Missouri, USA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

Many software developers have wanted to keep their software on the server and sell access subscriptions. That solves a lot of piracy. It is the future. So, if that is not satisfactory to some folks, there is always Linux Mint to consider, with my favorite Mint desktop, which even runs nicely on old XP machines. As for Windows 10 and e-Sword, I have seen no problems at all. Mine works perfectly as far as I can see, with no font problems.

#34 pastorama

pastorama

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Maybe the Lord will return and they can keep all my computers

#35 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

More importantly, you can also create your own markup files of which can be used for various types of topics you want to highlighted in your Bible. For more information and how tos, refer to your e-Sword User Guide, Chapter 4, and read pages 74 - 79.

Since writing this, I had another thought, and one which I get the impression that many, if not most, are in the bad habit of doing, of which results in problems similar to this:

I will highlight as long as I don't change versions but when I change bible versions and return to the original version, the highlighting is gone. 

Now the problem that is seen above is not just with the markups, but also where data has been lost in Topic, Study, and Journal notes. And all this loss of data and information can be traced to one (or maybe two) real bad habit(s), which is ... wait for it ... Taa Daa ... Using the default machine generated filename, and putting all their work in them. So what am I talking about?!

These are are main Default Machine Generated File names:

• Default Study Note filename - study.notx
  • Default Topic Note filename - topic.topx
  • Default Journal Note filename - journal.jnlx
  • Default Markup filename - markup.ovlx

There are others as well, and these can be included with the above four.

When doing any kind of study, sermon preparation, and etc, you do not use the default files. Its been my experience with e-Sword these file can become corrupt, and data can be lost from them. Not only has it been my experience, it also has been the experience of may others on this board. You just need to go through the posts and read them to see just how many have gone through this problem.

The best practice and method for not losing data are:

1. For each area of Study create a new file
  2. Backup, backup, backup, and backup

Things do happen with e-Sword, just the same with many other Bible Software, including TheWord. Ask Josh Bond, and he will tell you the same. And because these kind of things do happen, like what we are talking about here, you should take every precaution to minimize the risk of data loss.

I don't use the default machine generated filenames, but rather create a new files and giving each of them a unique name.

I back up my data regularly (at least once a week).

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#36 ReneS

ReneS

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

I upgraded to Windows 10 PRO July 29th, I usually wait about a year, but took the plunge.  I had Windows 8.1, and I run a good number of apps, but I was having a few problems with 8.1 that I did not with Windows 7 or XP, so I listened to Microsoft's sales pitch and since it was supposed to be free (unusual for Microsoft), I went ahead and did it.  Within 2 days I regretted doing it, because I began having all kind of problems.  At the end of the first week, I ordered a new internal hard drive, and backed up everything (I had backed up my System Drive before I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8.1, and backed up before I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10).  When the new drive came, I installed Windows 8.1 on it, and restored my 8.1 System Backup.  I still like Windows 7 better than 8.1, but 8.1 has a few things that 7 did not have.  For my part, Windows XP Pro was the best Operating System as far as stability.

#37 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

We upgraded a Windows 8.1 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 with very few problems. Those minor problems were solved with the first Windows updates we got for Windows 10. My wife and I both like Windows 10.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#38 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

We upgraded a Windows 8.1 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 with very few problems. Those minor problems were solved with the first Windows updates we got for Windows 10. My wife and I both like Windows 10.

Yeah, with a begrudging, so do I

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#39 Marvin

Marvin

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

I've not found any problems with E-Sword and Windows 10 yet.

Though on my lab-top it tends to freeze at times. Problly my computor itself is the problem.

Spell check does'nt work though.

I hav exactly the same problem with E-Sword. I must admit though, that I had the same problem when I had Windows 7 so it probably is my computer. Is anyone else experiencing this?

#40 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

e-Sword ran ok for me.

But one point to note. OneDrive does not sync files in the same way as W8.1 OneDrive, where you have 'placeholders' with the details, and could choose to have files offline to work with, or only online, on a file-by-file basis. Now with W10 you can only sync whole folders and there are no placeholders to show available online files. It is a disaster for some users that would like to sync mobile devices and have limited space. See here http://onedrive.user...ly-for-onedrive

Jon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users