Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword on Windows 10?

69 replies to this topic

#61 chuatc

chuatc

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Consider the following:

• RAM
  • Hardware issues
  • Number of resources you're getting e-Sword to load
  • Ability of CPU to handle Data
  • Age of machine and etc.
  • What has changed from when it was running OK to when the problem began. And I think this is where the core issue really lies.

And from that basis you will find your answer.

Now, I realize that these may not come into play. That said, the one criterium that is common, is something has changed, of which you know but may not be aware of.

Blessings,

Thanks for your respond.

I have contacted e-Sword and the workaround to get this fix seems to be a quick and easy one..

Delete the following key from the Windows Registry, *then* start e-Sword:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\e-Sword

I run regedit from command prompt and have this registry key removed.

Then e-Sword is now working again. (I will have to thanks Rick for this workaround)

#62 dasadler

dasadler

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGarden Grove, California, 92844, USA

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

I just installed e-Sword and I find that it ALMOST works correctly... the only problem I have found is that when I click on HELP then click on Training Demos, Tech Support, or User Group, it does not launch any of those resources.  What does happen is that the entire menu across the top and in the HELP submenu will dim and remain dimmed as if something is working in the background but, alas, nothing happens - it is totally non-responsive.  When I click on a menu item, the normal coloring comes back (no longer dimmed).

The DOWNLOAD feature works just fine, though.

I do have a default browser that routinely handles all http calls (even the aforementioned Downloads).

Fortunately, I am told that all the resources that I would be access via the help menu are accessible from the website.

That is my experience... I just stalled it today and will report any further issues.

----- SOLUTION -----

It was as simple as finding the program folder c:\program Files (x86)\e-Sword and removing the 'Read Only' attribute.

I don't understand how that could possibly make a difference but it did.

----- CREDIT FOR SOLUTION -----

A friend on another forum (http://www.eileenslounge.com/) suggested I look at this thread for ideas...

http://www.biblesupp...ont-even-start/ posted by journey

Edited by dasadler, 13 April 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#63 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:31 PM

I just checked mine, and everything works. If you have firewall logs, check and see if e-Sword is mentioned. However, I can't understand why downloads works and nothing else does. By the way, this is the user group site - you're on it. The Technical Support and Training Demos are on the author's main site. Let me do some more thinking about this. In the meantime, maybe someone else has a quick answer.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#64 dasadler

dasadler

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGarden Grove, California, 92844, USA

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

LOL - Thanks journey... you already provided the answer - see below:

----- SOLUTION -----

It was as simple as finding the program folder c:\program Files (x86)\e-Sword and removing the 'Read Only' attribute.

I don't understand how that could possibly make a difference but it did.

----- CREDIT FOR SOLUTION -----

A friend on another forum (http://www.eileenslounge.com/) suggested I look at this thread for ideas...

http://www.biblesupp...ont-even-start/ posted by journey

#65 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

dasadler,

You're most welcome. I'm glad that things are working for you now.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#66 Adventbible

Adventbible

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

I've been using e-Sword 10.4.0 on Windows 10 for a few months. The only issues I had was, the custom colors I used for highlighting words did not seem to transfer. I just copied and pasted everything from the Programs folder and Documents folder e-Sword is filed in on the old laptop to the new one. You should be able to pick up on the Bible extensions, Notes- notx, and other file extension used in e-Sword editors. That is all fairly simple.

If your copying the entire folders from an old PC to a new one, just copy and rename the existing e-Sword in the Programs folder, and whatever Documents folder your personal set up info is in. Name it something like e-Sword Programs SAVE and e-Sword Docs SAVE for example. When you copy those folders to the new PC and install the new version of e-Sword, you can copy and paste your original Bibles and files to the installed folders so e-Sword will appear just like it did before.

#67 Samuel Reynolds

Samuel Reynolds

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:46 AM

Installing on Windows 10 under an administrative account and trying to run under a non administrative account does not seem to work. I've also tried giving the intended account admin rights to install and then taking them away afterwards. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue and have a work around? Giving admin rights to the account is not an option

#68 Mark N Lina Mager

Mark N Lina Mager

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:32 AM

Greetings,

Along these lines, I've done a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit (not an upgrade) and have installed e-sword. But when the opening logo appears, after about 20 seconds, a dialog box appears with a "0" in it. I've tried what the other suggestions have been in this post and nothing's worked -- removing read only permissions on the program folder, deleting registry entries, running e-sword as administrator, even setting the program's compatibility settings back to Windows XP Service Pack 3. On a previous PC I had (upgraded from XP then to 8 then to 10) E-Sword worked fine. But I'm surprised that I'm having so much trouble with E-Sword on a clean install. I don't know if anyone is able to give me some guidance or if every avenue's been explored before.

#69 Mark N Lina Mager

Mark N Lina Mager

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:33 AM

I should also mention that when the dialog box appears with "0", I click OK and it comes back again until I use Task Manager to close E-Sword entirely.

#70 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

Try installing e-Sword as the Administrator. Right click on the install file and click run as administrator. I hope this helps.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users