Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What happened to the old site?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Redeemed

Redeemed

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I went to the old eSword Users site and wound up here. Gosh what a surprise!! Looks like theres has been a change in management and well a change in everything! I have never seen so many wonderful modules in one place!! Did a company buy out eSword?

#2 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Yes, Josh Incorporated bought Rick Meyers out... :D Just Kidding.

No, just a new group who love e-Sword has taken over the job, and you can see the results of this endeavor here...

#3 Redeemed

Redeemed

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Why not just build on the old site rather than starting a new site? This site's better so it doesn't matter

I typed in the old site and it was like drinking one thing, when you expect another. Like you think you are picking up a glass of pepsi but its koolaid, and you are surprised while your tastebuds figure out your not getting what you expected. Yeah, well ok I will stop babbling. Thanks to everyone who made this possible!!

Edited by Redeemed, 08 November 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#4 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Haha! Yes, I could see the "surprise" effect! Well, Josh and company have done a good job with the site. The reason they didn't use the old site, from my understanding at least (outsider looking in), was due to some hosting issues with the web host for the old site, so Josh volunteered to host it and used a different Content Management System than what the old site went with.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Why not just build on the old site rather than starting a new site? This site's better so it doesn't matter

I typed in the old site and it was like drinking one thing, when you expect another. Like you think you are picking up a glass of pepsi but its koolaid, and you are surprised while your tastebuds figure out your not getting what you expected. Yeah, well ok I will stop babbling. Thanks to everyone who made this possible!!

Haha! Yes, I could see the "surprise" effect! Well, Josh and company have done a good job with the site. The reason they didn't use the old site, from my understanding at least (outsider looking in), was due to some hosting issues with the web host for the old site, so Josh volunteered to host it and used a different Content Management System than what the old site went with.

Moreover, this site is way more user friendly than the old one especially when it comes to uploading files. From my experience the old site had real issues with uploading of files (I dunno if anyone else had these experiences).

This site is by far way better than e-Sword Users, and one can actually converse with each other here.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

The reason they didn't use the old site, from my understanding at least (outsider looking in), was due to some hosting issues with the web host for the old site, so Josh volunteered to host it and used a different Content Management System than what the old site went with.

Why not just build on the old site rather than starting a new site?

I'm glad you like it!

It was unclear to me who actually owned the old site. And I couldn't gather enough information to find out why the old site was down. There was talk of committees, accountants, and incorporating in other countries. Seemed like a little much for a simple website, so I started BibleSupport.com

Later, Karen gave me access to the old website. All that was wrong with the old website was Godaddy wanted 2 directories deleted. 2 directories had many gigabytes worth lot of "reference material"--like old Step books, MS-Word files, pdf's, e-Sword 8 files, etc. Godaddy said: You can't have gigs worth of material stored here unless it's used by the website. Delete the material or integrate it with the website and we'll restore the hosting. So I deleted the gigs of material, GoDaddy restored the site, and I redirected the users here since I didn't want to run two sites.

The old site was the proof of concept and proof of success. Without that website, this one would have never existed. The Everest's pioneered a great idea. Most concepts from this website were merely copied from the old.

Josh

#7 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Still, it is hard to deny that you've done a fantastic job of integrating all of these resources into a user friendly website.

Three cheers for Josh, Hip..hip...Hurray!

:D :P :D

#8 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

In my opinion, this new site is light years ahead of the old one in every category. I want to mention one big item: training and encouragement for module makers. I must also mention friendly help on just about anything related to eSword. I want to add my three cheers for Josh, the moderators, and the friendly atmosphere established here. Lots of hard work went into this site, and God is using it. I give thanks that God is using the modules downloaded here around the world.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#9 JHL

JHL

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

OK Question for Josh..

It sure seems like a LOT of the older ver8 mods are kinda like missing...

Will you not be making them available...??
JHL
Jer 29:11

e-Sword v.8

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

All modules made within the past 18 months were made for e-Sword 9+, so they do not have an e-Sword 8 equivalent.

e-Sword 8 uses the Microsoft Access database, which is prone to corruption for study notes, topic notes, etc. Access was a terrible database for e-Sword.

You can use Windows 98, but Microsoft doesn't support it anymore. Similarly, I make no effort to support e-Sword 8 because of it's age and technological limitations. I do not make e-Sword 8 modules.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users