Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

e-Sword on iPad

134 replies to this topic

#41 andrepeterhill

andrepeterhill

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

I wonder if a solution to the problem of getting 3rd party modules into e-Sword HD might be to allow them to be opened and saved into the App like a document? (i.e. go to a file link in Safari and utilize the 'Open In' feature of iOS to download and open the file in e-Sword HD, with some sort of file parsing/abstraction coding to ensure it can't crash the app)

---
Andre

Edited by andrepeterhill, 16 October 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#42 Ruben Gomez

Ruben Gomez

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

You might be interested in Rick Meyers' take on e-Sword HD for iPad: http://www.bsreview....e-sword-hd.html

Best,

Rubén Gómez
www.bsreview.org
www.bsreview.org/blog/

#43 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

That's cool.
Posted Image

#44 rictrician

rictrician

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMountain View Arkansas (USA)

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Just downloaded the IPad app!!!!!!!! Awesome, deleted all others. Was getting ready to sell IPad and buy laptop just to use Esword. It is the best bible program there is. All my modules I bought installed right away. Awesome thank The Lord for Esword on IPad. :)
Dead in Christ ricky j younger

#45 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Just downloaded the IPad app!!!!!!!! Awesome, deleted all others. Was getting ready to sell IPad and buy laptop just to use Esword. It is the best bible program there is. All my modules I bought installed right away. Awesome thank The Lord for Esword on IPad. :)

There's some enthusiasm!

One of the biggest draws to e-Sword (and consequently e-Sword HD) is the quality of the commercial theological library you can build for a very reasonable price at eStudySource.com. I think it's unrivaled in the Bible software world--quality and usefulness of the commercial titles for the price. That's an opinion of course, but it's what first drew me to e-Sword.

Josh

#46 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

There's some enthusiasm!

One of the biggest draws to e-Sword (and consequently e-Sword HD) is the quality of the commercial theological library you can build for a very reasonable price at eStudySource.com. I think it's unrivaled in the Bible software world--quality and usefulness of the commercial titles for the price. That's an opinion of course, but it's what first drew me to e-Sword.

Josh

Hi Rictrician,
Unusual name. Must be your nickname .

Anyway, congrats on your e-Sword HD. That said, I concur with with what Josh said, and in fact I would actually recommend you also download and use e-Sword on your Laptop. There is a great deal more you can do with e-Sword on a desktop because of the amount of resources one can have and use. I find that Bible software for mobile devices are good, they just aren't able to do what what Bible software for desktop computer can do, and the reason is that they aren't designed for that, and they're not expected to either.

On my Computer the disk space that all my e-Sword resources take up is over 3GB (Gigabytes), and although my computer is slightly struggling at loading all that data up into e-Sword on 1GB of RAM using Windows XP, its not quite chomping at the bit to load. However if I tried that on a mobile device, it would be severely struggling to load that amount of data up, simply because it isn't designed for that. Also, bear in mind that Desktop Computers are designed to be work horses, and therefore your e-Sword on a Desktop/Laptop computer is where your heavy duty work should take place. iPads, Galaxy Note tables and other forms of Mobile devices are built only for light work loads, and your e-Sword HD is good for taking around with you like you would with a hip-pocket Bible and Notebook.

Having said all of that, the only problem is you can't sync e-Sword with e-Sword HD as the file formats used are not compatible with each other. If it they were, then that would be a huge advantage.

Anyway, again congrats on your new e-Sword HD, and trust you will be immensely blesses by it.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#47 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

All,
Yesterday I went to an Apple Store (shop) at Riccarton Mall, Riccarton, Christchurch, good old Kiwi Land, and had me chat with a bloke there about downloading stuff for for e-Sword HD. Apparently it seems that you don't really have to have resources for e-Sword HD at Apples App Store, and you should be able to download it from here using the Web Browser that comes on iPad (can't remember the name of it).

If one wants to try it out and see what happens, and let me know, be great to hear about just how true that is.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#48 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

My kids play with our iPad a whole lot more than I do. For every 3 hours they play, I use it maybe 1 minute. :) So I'm far from an iPad expert.

However, I know of no way to download e-Sword HD or e-Sword HD modules purely through the browser of the iPad. If you visit iTunes through the browser, it launches the iTunes app. You download e-Sword HD through the iTunes app. And then you may download e-Sword HD modules through the e-Sword HD app.

Apple is fairly "tight" about routing downloads through iTunes.

FYI: I didn't downvote you! :)

#49 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi Josh,
Didn't think you did, mate. Its just frustrating when marked down if said something wrong and not corrected on it. Anyway, ta for your input the other topic.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#50 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

When I buy a book from Amazon, I locate the book I want, press the icon asking where I want it downloaded, chose my iPad from the choices presented and voila, my book downloads to my iPad almost instantly. It does not appear to be going through an Apple proprietary process. I would think that such a capability could be built into the e-Sword app for third-party modules. ... or am I missing something?
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users