Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT

• Please log in to reply
882 replies to this topic

#561 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

It's me again.

I have been playing with this View mode thing a bit more and found this.

Have some text in the text window.

View > View RTF

View > View RTF

View > View RTF

View > View RTF

See how it keeps adding something (some kind of RTF header??) to the document?

Now back out to "View Text" mode.

View > View Text

View > View Text

View > View Text

View > View Text

You seem to have to repeat the "View Text" the same number of times that you choose "View RTF". (normal behavour?)

Now, why someone would do this (in normal use) is beyond me, but I suppose that it is possible.

So consider this:

If you are in "View Text" there is no reason to be able to choose it again, so Gray it out.

Likewise, if you are in "View RTF" there is no reason (is there? I really don't know.) to be able to choose that option again so Gray it out.

When you choose one option Gray it out and toggle the other related option back on.

View RTF

View Text

View RTF

View Text

The same thing could be done with Standard and Page views.

Standard View

Page View

Standard View

Page View

The only issue I can see is if you were to follow my Suggestion from my last post concerning disabling both "View RTF" & "View Text" menu choices while in "Page View" mode.

I suppose you would have to save their current state (enabled/disabled) prior to disabling both when in "Page View" mode, so that those states can be re-instated when going back to "Standard View".

Sorry if I am rambling, but I tend to try and follow (think) things out to their conclusion.

Again, just a suggestion

Roy

#562 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Roy - this happens in Standard View too.  The error code is coming from the underlying text display engine.  The error you see it the sum total of the information given back to my code.  Not very informative is it.  Which characters are causing the error?  The error does not happen EVERY time.  It is only certain text combinations, and I have not taken the time to figure out exactly which ones.

This "feature" is a legacy from my former program (T3) and worked fine there, but the display engine was different.  Here is the issue:  RTF is just marked up text.  When I put the text into the display engine for editing, and take it back out, having done nothing else, the text changes and I do not know why.  Some quirk of the underlying engine. 

I guess I have to ask if this feature even needs to remain in the program?   Why would you ever want to edit the RTF directly as an end user?  I know why I would!!!  :-)  This is one reason I supplied macros to edit the RTF to change the font size. But for most people, do I need to leave this in?  

#563 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I guess I have to ask if this feature even needs to remain in the program?   Why would you ever want to edit the RTF directly as an end user?  I know why I would!!!  :-)  This is one reason I supplied macros to edit the RTF to change the font size. But for most people, do I need to leave this in?  

Humm, I believe I would leave it in. I should think that an end user of e-sword (only) and an end user of ToolTip Tool NT are slightly different critters.

Thank you by the way for responding. (Now I know it wasn't just me :) and I know now how to avoid the error (at least I think I do).

Roy

#564 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

========================================
Version 2.04 7/11/2013
-- Fixed - scripture references for verse comments in iOS CMTI files were not displaying as tooltips.
-- Changed - TXT/RTF view now remembered for multiple documents and the method used to switch between them has been completely re-written.  Only edit RTF if you understand the risks to your document.  

#565 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hey,

Those of you who use ToolTip Tool NT  AND another word processor. If you go back and forth between the two editors, how do you save the file for moving between the two?

For example if you were in MS WORD and you move to TT, do you save the file in a DOC format and open it that way in TT.

(Do you then save in TT as RTF for later editing in TT?)

To move from TT to WORD do you save as RTF or as a DOC format?

Do you ever save in WORD as RTF before moving to TT?

I am not using WORD right now but OpenOffice Writer. I seem to be having some issues if I try to open in TT, a file saved as RTF in OpenOffice.

However (in one test so far) it seems that, if I save the file in OpenOffice as a MS WORD format file, I have fewer issues.

Concerning WORD. Is there an age limit (how old a version) on the version of WORD that I can/should use?

The last version of Office that I purchased was Office XP Developer (2002). (I wanted to play with developing some stand-alone ACCESS apps)

Thanks

Roy

#566 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hey,

Those of you who use ToolTip Tool NT  AND another word processor. If you go back and forth between the two editors, how do you save the file for moving between the two?

For example if you were in MS WORD and you move to TT, do you save the file in a DOC format and open it that way in TT.

(Do you then save in TT as RTF for later editing in TT?)

To move from TT to WORD do you save as RTF or as a DOC format?

Do you ever save in WORD as RTF before moving to TT?

I am not using WORD right now but OpenOffice Writer. I seem to be having some issues if I try to open in TT, a file saved as RTF in OpenOffice.

However (in one test so far) it seems that, if I save the file in OpenOffice as a MS WORD format file, I have fewer issues.

Concerning WORD. Is there an age limit (how old a version) on the version of WORD that I can/should use?

The last version of Office that I purchased was Office XP Developer (2002). (I wanted to play with developing some stand-alone ACCESS apps)

Thanks

Roy

I use MS-Word the majority of the time for text development--I like the Visual Basic macro environment for writing scripts. When I'm done in MS-Word, I save it as RTF. And then open in T4. If I need access to MS-Word's regular expressions again, I return the document to MS-Word. I keep the document in RTF format the whole time because that's the destination format.

I imagine 2002 MS-Word's RTF format is compatible with T4's Text Control. I don't think the RTF standard has changed any in the last decade.

#567 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

FWIW I keep documents in RTF as well.  If it was originally in DOC(X) or ODT (I use LibreOffice on my laptop) I save as RTF before using it in ToolTip.

#568 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

MikeCindi,

I had not considered the Libre option, as I already had OpenOffice (OOo) on my Windows system. ( I do have LibreOffice on my PPC Mac).

So, I downloaded it, installed it, and so far it has not manifested the issues that I had with OOo. I know that they started with the same base code but they have obviously made some changes. (Unless I have changed something in OOo's configuration that I don't know about :unsure: )

Therefore, I am off and running for now. Hey, Thanks for the suggestion!

Roy

P.S. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free, open source, full fledged replacements (work-a-like) for MS Office. They are worth a look if you simply do not have the mean$ of purchasing MS-Office, or, like some of us, you just like to play around with software.

One last note: Your main/sole resource for support with either of the office software packages is GooooGLE. There is a much larger support knowledge base out there (and here) for Microsoft products.

Edited by Roy, 13 July 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#569 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

... I keep the document in RTF format the whole time because that's the destination format.

I imagine 2002 MS-Word's RTF format is compatible with T4's Text Control. I don't think the RTF standard has changed any in the last decade.

Josh,

Thanks for the reply.

I kind of figured it would be best to keep everything in one format the whole time and this just confirms it. Thanks

I installed Office-XP, then took it back off. I didn't care for how Win7 handles displaying the program. I can most likely tweak it so I'll re-investigate the XP route in a few days. ( I may hit e-bay to see if I can get a newer version reasonably $$). The other gripe I have with WORD, is that I can not seem to get regex working as easily as I was able to do while in OOo. Most of the more complex searches I tried would either, not give me the results I wanted/expected, or it would beep at me... :angry: and give me nothing at all (and it beeped a whole bunch!).

I know that it is most likely the fact that I do not know Office/regex and simply need to learn it. well that's another "need to learn" thing to add to my list.

Thanks again for BibleSupport, all your hard work, and your willingness to help out by answering our questions.

God bless you!

Roy

#570 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Version 2.08 8/19/2013
-- New - X9 now fully integrated into the program; VerseList, Edit fields, etc.

Version 2.07 8/9/2013 not publically released
-- New - Tools+Cyrillic Unicode Fixup
-- Changed - EXE file to APL+Win v13.2 - fixed catenation bug
-- Fixed - Edit+Undo/Redo menu to support X9.

Version 2.06 8/4/2013 not publically released
-- New - Right Click on a table gives the option to delete the entire table
-- New - Print Dialog
-- Fixed - things broken by X9,  Ctrl+C, Clipboard Copy, Right-click menus
-- Fixed - X9 has fixed the memory leak in v17 when creating iOS modules!
-- Secret - hidden right-click menu.  Activated by Ctrl+Shift+Right Click (so it is not totally secret). NOTE - Ctrl+Shift+Right Click is position sensitive.

Version 2.05 - not publically released - major internal restructuring
-- New - updated APL+Win Interpreter to v13.1 - complete overhaul of data file creation via new catenation routine.
-- New - updated text edit control to version X9 to be compatible with e-Sword 10.2
-- New - ModuleHD+Combine Files - similar to Modules+Combine Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users