Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT

• Please log in to reply
882 replies to this topic

#1 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

With e-Sword v10, new features have been added to Topic and Notes files. These features are not supported in e-Sword ToolTip Tool. The editor in e-Sword v10 has been greatly improved. However, it still is a lot of work in create a large Topic file with multiple scripture references. Thus, this is the first public showing of a new tool for making Note and Topic files only, alas "NT". NT might stand for New Techology also prehaps? And if "ToolTip Tool" was aka T3, "ToolTip Tool NT" might be aka T4.

Note - it shares the same configuration files at T3 if you already have it installed. Topic files that worked in T3, should work in T4. It will not replace T3 for all other file types.

The user interface is all new. Some things work differently in T4 vs T3. The Tooltip "bar" has the settings for scripture tooltips. The color of the font, background color, underlining and whether to do Chapter tooltips and to search through line wraps.

You can add Images to T4 files. NOTE - Some of this stuff is still buggy. And it might be real buggy. I have found that if you have a character after an image in a Topic, it has the best chance of making it appear as expected in e-Sword.

Tables are supported. User the Insert Menu to insert a new Table. Right click a table to add or delete rows and columns.

Printing is supported in Page view. View+Mode+Page View.

T4 will open directly these file types, RTF, HTM/HTML, DOC and DOCX. It will also save in these file types, as well as export to PDF. When exporting to PDF, you may want to be in Page View for best results. Copying and Pasting Web pages works pretty well surprisingly.

Marking up a file for Topic notes, and the #define values are the same as T3.

Tooltipping will work within tables now. To tooltip a file, click the Scripture menu and select, Tooltip. You can now easily switch between the default (internal) and an external abbreviation file. You must preselect which external list you want, T4 will not ask you every time. When tooltipping, the optional "double pass" has been removed. T4 will actually run faster than T3 in tooltipping because the second pass does not do any tooltipping as T3 did. The second pass is the formatting pass. Said a little differently, the first pass is the tooltipping pass, the second is the formatting pass. In T3, tooltipping and formatting occurred on each pass. so T4 should be faster. My tests have show it to be half the time. (I'm thinking of back porting this to T3).

Where is the Documentation? What documentation? All the code has been written in the last 2 weeks in the rare spare time. things may greatly change. Any one want to volunteer to write documentation?

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Very impressive, Brent. I know you've spent a great deal of time working on T4. Your ministry makes our ministry possible!

#3 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thank You Brent

Josh said it all

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

What's the difference between Scripture > Tooltip and Scripture > Markup References?

I do like the Scripture > Validate References window. References with a 1 beside them are valid and 0 indicates invalid. You can then click a reference in that window and T4 will take you to that location in the text to review the reference.

Attached File  t4-2.png   171.23K   7 downloads

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

And for those who haven't seen T4 yet, Brent used the same RTF control as e-Sword. So all of your table, image, and paragraph settings are identical to the e-Sword app. How cool is that. You can right click an image for the same image settings available within the e-Sword editor.

Attached File  t4-1.png   257.81K   12 downloads

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

What's the difference between Scripture > Tooltip and Scripture > Markup References?

I do like the Scripture > Validate References window. References with a 1 beside them are valid and 0 indicates invalid. You can then click a reference in that window and T4 will take you to that location in the text to review the reference.

Attached File  t4-2.png   171.23K   7 downloads

The "Mark Up" is just coloring and underlining. No formatting as an e-Sword tooltip. This was equivalent to the "Find" function in T3, which is buried in a menu. In T4, it is the "second pass" equivalent to T3. Again, all it does it color and underline. OR - uncolor and un-underline! if you have that selected.

Edited by BH., 02 January 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

And for those who haven't seen T4 yet, Brent used the same RTF control as e-Sword. So all of your table, image, and paragraph settings are identical to the e-Sword app. How cool is that. You can right click an image for the same image settings available within the e-Sword editor.

Actually, I'm using version 17, and e-Sword is using 16. Only minor differences. Most things should work. But do note, I'm still learning how to use this control. There is a learning curve. Some things that are hard to impossible in T3 are simple in T4. But some things that were simple in T3 are still a challenge in T4. I'm speaking of the programming side of things.

Edited by BH., 02 January 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#8 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

HI BH,

Very good but I need the ability of the T3 - right click to select all, copy and paste. or edit to select all, copy and paste. So far that is one problem I have.

T4 is very nice.

thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#9 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

HI BH,

Very good but I need the ability of the T3 - right click to select all, copy and paste. or edit to select all, copy and paste. So far that is one problem I have.

T4 is very nice.

thanks
Patchworkid

There are lots of things to add. Note that standard keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl+A selects all. Ctrl+C Copies. Ctrl+X cuts. Ctrl+V pastes. Ctrl+Z undos, etc...

#10 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi,
Thank you for that info. So far it is very good.
thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users