Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

How to Make e-Sword Modules - ToolTip NT User's Guide - .94 / Revision 2/12/2012

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Josh
Great stuff, mate. Doing that will make it easier to learn how to use the program as well.

I tend to think that its great to have a "user guide," but if one can make a tutorial/manual as well, then that really becomes even more helpful, and that I think is the road you seem to be taking with this one (as well as have taken with the e-Sword one).

So, all in all, mate, nice one.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#12 SpreadTheWord

SpreadTheWord

Resource Builder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

--------Applying Comments to Multiple Verse References
--------Applying Comments to All References in the First Paragraph
--------Applying Comments Across Chapter Boundaries in a Singular Reference

--------Book References { }

--------Chapter ToolTipping Options

--------Automatically Numbering Topics: Advanced
--------Allowing for Front Matter When Automatically Numbering
--------Defining a Specific Prefix When Using Topic Numbering

--------e-Sword Modules are “Hot Swappable”

The stuff above I either didnt know or thought I knew but really did not understand completely. I feel more confident now because before some things would work and similar things would not work and I never knew exactly why. This is my new reference book for module making, thank you for it.

#13 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

The project I had planned has already been done by somebody else, so I have a delay that I plan to use in learning more about Tooltip. I have only used the most basic functions of Tooltip, so I give thanks for the manual. I also give thanks for all of the new functions that come out with each new version of Tooltip. Bluntly, Tooltip is a great tool with great documentation. I am more convinced now than ever that anyone can learn how to use Tooltip and contribute to the e-Sword community.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#14 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for everything you do, Tom. I've had several tell me how much they enjoyed your modules (lol, they ought to tell you!). I'm blown away by all the new features. Speaking of new features, the next version that's in testing has a feature to strip an existing module of it's font size formatting. That's enabled me to revise some of the commentaries on the site already. It speeds it up tremendously. Big shout out to Brent for that one.

But yeah, no more excuses! No one can say, oh I want to make modules but we don't have simple, clear instructions. Or the other one I heard was: it's "complicated". Tedious sometimes? yes. Complicated? No. It's like I say in the opening chapter, if you can use a word processor or even send an email, you can make a module. :)

#15 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Josh,

Thank you sincerely for your revisions of some of the commentaries. I'm already enjoying them a lot, as they are some of my favorites to use. Thanks to the modern tools we have now, the real work is preparing and formatting the source text prior to ever opening Tooltip. A good word processor makes preparation a lot easier and quicker. So, Tooltip is the easy part, and it does the rest of the work quickly with common sense commands.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#16 bbacle

bbacle

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hello...I have now downloaded your user guide and the ToolTip program for making modules.
I have some rtf files that I would like to transport over to eSword using this program.
I have opened several of them up in ToolTip and attempted to save them out as TOPX files, but without success.
When I save them, nothing happens.
What am I missing here?

Thanks for the great program.

Rev. Bob Bacle

#17 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hello...I have now downloaded your user guide and the ToolTip program for making modules.
I have some rtf files that I would like to transport over to eSword using this program.
I have opened several of them up in ToolTip and attempted to save them out as TOPX files, but without success.
When I save them, nothing happens.
What am I missing here?

Thanks for the great program.

Rev. Bob Bacle

Hi Bob,

Did you read the tutorial on creating a Topic file in Chapter 3, page 27? It's not as simple as just re-saving an RTF file. You must format the file properly before generating a TOPX file--that way, Tooltip NT knows which text is a chapter title and which is chapter text. If you have formatted it, upload a copy of the file here so we can see what went wrong.

josh

#18 bbacle

bbacle

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi Josh...Thanks for answering so quickly.
I had read chapter 3 several times and I have tried with several rtf files that I have,
but so far nothing seems to work.
I put the marker in at the beginning in front of the title,
and then I go to Module and try to save it as a topx file, but nothing.

I have even tried to save it as a notx file, but still nothing.
I have gone back and made sure I was running the program as administrator, and that didn't work either.
I am running Windows 7 64 bit OS.

#19 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Click the More Reply Options button so you can attach a file. Attach the file you're trying to create a module from.

There is a bug described here: http://www.biblesupp...ndpost__p__6533

It involves you creating a folder Tooltip expects to see: "c:\users\[user name]\documents\e-Sword ToolTip" where you use your user name instead of [user name]. A future update to Tooltip will resolve this.

#20 bbacle

bbacle

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Josh...
That worked great.
I had to create the new folder and then save the file into that folder.
And voila!!!
It worked beautifully.

I do hope that this will definitely be fixed in the next release, but for now it works.

Thanks again.

Rev. Bob Bacle

Edited by bbacle, 16 February 2012 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users