Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Want to share list files but HOW?

17 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I probably never exempted the .lstx extension. By default, all extensions are blocked on IPBoard and only those you specifically designate are permitted. The existing .lstx files were probably uploaded by the Module Robot, which is exempt from all restrictions.

Hi Josh,
I somewhat sort of vaguely remembering that there was a list of file types (that's those with extensions) that one could and could not upload. Is that list of file types still there? If its not might be an idea to bang it up somewhere of all and sundry to see before proceeding to upload. What do ya reckon???

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#12 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

A list does popup AFTER you are denied the uploading of the lstx extension showing you the VALID extensions you can upload. I see a lot of folks convert the lstx extensions into exe files but since the LOCATION for those files is different on everyone's computers, I chose to go the zip route and let folks place the files in the correct directory themselves.
Your Portion Of Light

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

I chose to go the zip route and let folks place the files in the correct directory themselves.

Hi Clint,
That is what I generally do, but in creating the Zip file I use either 7Zip or ZipGenius as both have amazing compression ratios. The algorithm they use to achieve the compression ratio is quite complex. That said, both 7Zip and ZipGenius gives an average 80% to 90%+ compression. I don't use Windows' Zipping capability as the compression ratio is close to 0 (zero) and a waste of time.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#14 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi Clint,
That is what I generally do, but in creating the Zip file I use either 7Zip or ZipGenius as both have amazing compression ratios. The algorithm they use to achieve the compression ratio is quite complex. That said, both 7Zip and ZipGenius gives an average 80% to 90%+ compression. I don't use Windows' Zipping capability as the compression ratio is close to 0 (zero) and a waste of time.

Blessings,

But most people with Windows can't open 7zip or ZipGenius archives with only the default Windows zip functionality. That leads to tremendous problems with inexperienced users. So I recommend not using any specialty zip formats or other "off the beaten path" compression formats like rar.

#15 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

A list does popup AFTER you are denied the uploading of the lstx extension showing you the VALID extensions you can upload. I see a lot of folks convert the lstx extensions into exe files but since the LOCATION for those files is different on everyone's computers, I chose to go the zip route and let folks place the files in the correct directory themselves.

The downsize to exe's is they do assume a specific e-Sword installation folder. The upside is, if your novice enough to need the installer, then its likely you were also too novice to change the default install folder for e-Sword. :)

My module installer automatically detects the location of e-Sword's resource folder (no matter where you installed e-Sword or configured afterwards) based on the e-Sword registry settings. I usually upload the same module as an exe self installing and a zip file. If the exe install fails because of the install location, then the user is usually competent enough to manually install from the zip file, or use the module installer.

I exempted the .lstx extension.

#16 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

My module installer automatically detects the location of e-Sword's resource folder (no matter where you installed e-Sword or configured afterwards) based on the e-Sword registry settings. I usually upload the same module as an exe self installing and a zip file.

Hi Josh,
Hmmm, that is what I would like to do when I create SFX (Self executing zip files) in where it can detect the Users e-Sword folder irrespective of the Windows version, especially those after Windows XP (which I use), more in particular the My Documents\e-Sword folder or Documents\e-Sword for Windows Vista and above.

Maybe I need to get my head around how to use that Installer program you use to create the installers for resources. I have a copy of one installed, but its the learning bit to use it is what is stumping me at the moment.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#17 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

I use winzip because I find that most folks have it. You can adjust the compression ratio in winzip to make the files smaller if you like but with lstx files they are already very small to start with. There is ANOTHER FREE zip utility called IZARC which supports MULTIPLE formats too and including rar but unless you know it's around most folks won't have it.
Your Portion Of Light

#18 clint45

clint45

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

The downsize to exe's is they do assume a specific e-Sword installation folder. The upside is, if your novice enough to need the installer, then its likely you were also too novice to change the default install folder for e-Sword. :)

My module installer automatically detects the location of e-Sword's resource folder (no matter where you installed e-Sword or configured afterwards) based on the e-Sword registry settings. I usually upload the same module as an exe self installing and a zip file. If the exe install fails because of the install location, then the user is usually competent enough to manually install from the zip file, or use the module installer.

I exempted the .lstx extension.

Thanks Josh.......I'll have to checkout your module installer.
Your Portion Of Light

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users