Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Transferring Note Files from Android to PC

15 replies to this topic

#11 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:59 AM

Not sure why e-Sword is not recongizing the note file as start with e-Sword version 11, the program can read both module formats Windows and Apple/MAC. Apparently that might not apply to Journal, Topic and Study note files. 

The Windows version of e-Sword is hard coded to look for the following file name study.notx, so the noti file needs to be named study.noti. The file also needed to placed in the e-Sword folder located in your Documents folder, this where your Journal, Study and Topic notes are stored. Also located in this folder are your markup and bookmark files.

#12 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:08 AM

Rick Meyers has clarified this to me in an email, as I noted in this post http://www.biblesupp...021/#entry44354

user notes etc in Android and Apple are html

PC uses rtf, but could make them html but the editor would not support so many functions.

#13 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:29 AM

The e-Sword module converter does in fact convert Study, Journal and Topic notes from Windows to Android/Apple/Mac format

#14 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:47 AM

The e-Sword module converter does in fact convert Study, Journal and Topic notes from Windows to Android/Apple/Mac format

Exactly.

Rick said that the PC version could be made to produce html, but at the time of making e-Sword only rtf was available with all the nice formatting features. Sounds like in the future there could be a change there.

#15 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:35 PM

Exactly.

Rick said that the PC version could be made to produce html, but at the time of making e-Sword only rtf was available with all the nice formatting features. Sounds like in the future there could be a change there.

I shot Rick an email, requesting a feature update to the conversion utility. One that would do noti->notx.

I also requested notx->cmti as an additional option in order to bring PC notes as commentaries to mobile.

Both can be done in ToolTip Tool, but a quick conversion would be nice.

Perhaps he will smile favorably upon us and add these features while we await.

Edited by turnsouth, 27 April 2023 - 02:35 PM.

#16 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:08 PM

A bit about assumptions.

When it comes to issues and problems with e-Sword some users are experiencing, or that of trying to figure out how to do this or do that with e-Sword; one of the things I notice is that some of the advice given is not based on fact, but rather the advice or answer is assumed. Another way to simply put it, it hasn't been tested. And perhaps the best example is the one relating to noti/topi files not working in the Windows version of e-Sword.

As a (currently retired) software developer, one of the most important (among the other important) principles I learned is, "Don't assume," and "Test, test, test!" If we all learn these principles there would be, well the best one is, less egg on the face (embarrassment). But more significantly, giving the user the correct resolution/help/answer he or she needs.

Moreover, when dealing with problems and issues with e-Sword, some might be universal, some might be just local, while others might just be a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), which is an Egg on the face thingy. Therefore a bit of discernment in resolving these issues is a requirement. And when it comes to dealing with a PEBKAC, do not ask, "WHAT DID YOU DO WRONG, DIPSTICK!!!" Well, you can if you want to risk a cast iron frying pan (skillet) in between your eyeballs and upset the person at the other end. So, sensitivity is really important, plus a mandatory requirement. You may be dealing with a complete novice who basically doesn't know anything about computers.

So, with that said, I trust some just might find this helpful. And if you do, click on the Like This button which will probably help the algorithms.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users