Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What's a zip file?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ironside

Ironside

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Is this the same as an exe file? Is there anything I should do to view a zipped file?

Thanks

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hi,

Zip files: 1) Download a zip file. 2) Then open the zip file (or run it) like you would an exe file. 3) You should then see the contents of the zip file. Double click the e-Sword module and if you have the module installer on your computer, the installer installs the module for you.

http://www.biblesupp...ler-04-updated/

#3 Ironside

Ironside

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

Thanks Josh

I downloaded International Critical Commentary. It is a zipped file. I downloaded it and then downloaded the module installer like you told me. But then I found out that it is a cmtx file. I have problems viewing a cmtx file. The system will ask as to where should I view it (adobe, MS Word etc.)

I clicked MS Word and all I see are unreadable writings.

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

You need to install the installer program.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

A Zip file is a compressed archive file normally using a File Compression program such as Winzip, 7Zip, ZipGenius and etc. Programs such as these can reduce the size of a file quite considerably by approx., up to 80% +.

Using a such a program a person can also view the compressed file. Also (depending on the functionality of the program) such a program can also use Windows Explorer in where it will look like a file folder, and one can use Windows Explorer to view and open the file. Another thing about these file compression programs is that they can be made to work from Windows Explorer's context menu, and files can be either compressed or decompressed (unzipped) to wherever one wishes to place it.

Windows Explorer also has a file and disk compression management added to it, but the compression ratio is pretty weak.

Another feature these compression programs have is the ability for the user to create SFX (Self Extracting) Archive (zip) files. These files have an exe extension at the end of the filename, e.g., converts Bible.zip to Bible.exe.

Self Extracting files are much simpler and easier to use if they have been set up for the end user to extract the file in its default location on the Hardrive. I prefer to use SFX files over a zip file because it saves time in installing a resource file to e-Sword's default folder.

I trust this information has been helpful to you.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 01 May 2012 - 07:19 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 BibleTeacher

BibleTeacher

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Please explain, what's this got to do with it???

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users