Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Creating a bblx file for an older version of e-Sword

16 replies to this topic

#1 JerrySeville

JerrySeville

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 01:38 PM

Hi,

I use e-Sword version 10.4.0. I prefer it to the newer html versions.

Is there a way to create .bblx files for this older version? Or is there a way to convert a newer html-based bblx file so that it works properly in 10.4.0? When you import new bblx files into an older version of e-Sword, html tags appear along with the Bible text. Anyway to fix this so that just the Bible text appears?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 11 August 2023 - 02:48 PM

Yes there is. Simply download and install ToolTip Tool NT

This program will by default create e-Sword resources using RTF (Rich Text Format) code.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 JerrySeville

JerrySeville

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:10 PM

Thank you!

#4 JerrySeville

JerrySeville

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 07:51 PM

I prefer the older rtf-based versions of e-Sword for different reasons. Currently, I'm using version 10.4.0, which was the last version before the switch to html-based modules. I've converted a bblx html-based file to a bbl file with Simple Bible Reader 5.4.3 and then back to bblx with eSword 9 converter. I did this to create an rtf-based module that would work with the older versions on e-Sword. This has done a good job converting the html tags into corresponding italics, but red letter text in the New Testament is enclosed by <red> and </red>. For instance, John 1:38 appears as: Jesús se volvió, y viendo que lo seguían, les dijo*: <red>«¿Qué buscan?».</red> Y ellos le dijeron: «Rabí (que traducido quiere decir Maestro), ¿dónde te hospedas?». When I try to read this file with ToolTip, it crashes (?). Is there a way to get rid of these tags or to get the text to appear in red? I've attached the module in question.

#5 JerrySeville

JerrySeville

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 07:55 PM

OOPS. I'm not permitted to upload a bblx file.

#6 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:39 PM

One way to go about this would be to use the free DB Browser for SQLite application to read in your .bblx module and then use the "Replace text in cells" tool to find all of the <red> HTML tags and replace them with nothing.  Then do the same for the </red> HTML tags. Don't forget to "Write Changes" if you are happy with the result. You could also replace the HTML tags with the RTF codes for red color if you don't mind messing around with RTF codes.

ElderB

Edited by ElderB, 08 September 2023 - 09:43 PM.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 04:46 AM

One way to go about this would be to use the free DB Browser for SQLite application to read in your .bblx module and then use the "Replace text in cells" tool to find all of the <red> HTML tags and replace them with nothing.  Then do the same for the </red> HTML tags. Don't forget to "Write Changes" if you are happy with the result. You could also replace the HTML tags with the RTF codes for red color if you don't mind messing around with RTF codes.

ElderB

Just to add a bit of information which you might find helpful; is that after you have hit the "Write Changes" button, when checking the results of your edits in e-Sword, you do not (let me repeat with emphasis) you do not have to shut down SQLite. You can actually keep it running. That way, if you don't like your edit you can go straight back into SQLite and reverse the changes you initially made. Saves you a heap of work.

Aren't I a clever body :P B)

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 09 September 2023 - 04:47 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 05:14 AM

Just to clarify something about bblx files. They actually are done both in rtf and html. Reason for this is because the change from bbl to bblx was made in the days of e-Sword 9x when Rick Meyers ditched Microsoft Access Database System, and went for SQLite DBMS (Database Management System). e-Sword versions 9 and 10 resources were all in rtf code, and this was gradually changed when e-Sword version 11 came out. So, when it comes to bblx, cmtx and etc resources, it a mixed bag of rtf and html.

The main reason for the change from MS Access to SQLite was because the resources created in Access had a propensity of causing e-Sword to crash due to corruption of the files. I remember those days very well.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 JerrySeville

JerrySeville

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 06:45 AM

My thanks to you both for the detailed and informative responses! I am completely ignorant about RTF code. Would it be simply a matter of find (the HTML tags) and replace with SQLite?

Edited by Zahara_Sierra, 09 September 2023 - 06:46 AM.

#10 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 07:35 AM

(with a space after cf0)

<red>red</red>

\cf6 red\cf0

<i>italics</i>

In \cf15\i italics\i0\cf0  words added by the translation