Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Using Microsoft Word to Make Modules

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

So, would doing a "find/replace" of ([1-9]) with 1:/1 place the chapter number in front of every verse for that chapter at once?

It would probably give you unexpected results because 33 would become 1:31:3, where "1:" was placed in front of each digit, not the group of digits as a whole.

search for: ([0-9]{1,2})
replace with: 1:\1

That should do the trick as long as the chapter number is 1. If you have a full verse reference (like matthew 3:1), then that would invalidate this search replace because it would put 1: in front of the 3 and probably the 1 too.

You would need to change it for different chapters. The [0-9] means any digit from 0-9. The {1,2} means find that digit at least 1 time and no more than 2 times. Again, this is without seeing your source text which makes this a guesstimate. You can learn a lot with the security of the UNDO button. Or copy a selection of text to a test document to experiment with.

#32 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

What did Med do that you liked? Was it a word processor that let you edit the contents of an access database (the then standard for e-Sword)? That would be the holy grail of module making for e-Sword--to be able to edit a resource like you're typing into a word processor.

Hi Josh
Med was/is a tool for both creating (from scratch) and editing existing Bible, Commentary, and Dictionary (and perhaps Devotional [can't quite remember]) Modules and it had/has (considering its still in use by some) tooltip making ability. Although it had a bit of word processing power (bold, italic, underline, and color text) it was more for generating new bbl, cmt, dct, and dev files. Whether it could handle Topic Note files, I don't remember.

There was another little tool written used to create resources by some Sth American bloke that was quite grunty and perhaps one of the best tools at that time, but I don't remember what it was called (a real pity).

The bloke who initially wrote Med (Craig Whitehead, or something like that, going from memory) was going to update for the 9x series of e-Sword, but I don't know what happened to that project. I guess he shelved it.

A few years ago I had written a review of the various resource tools that were about during that time and rated them. Med was perhaps one of the best and ranked very close to the one I can't remember the name of by that Sth American bloke.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#33 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

Looks like there's a number of verses there and then footnotes mixed in. Not sure what you mean by "make a single verse out of this". If the footnotes are in blue each time, then you can put each verse on a new line: search for: ([0-9]{1,2}) --be sure to specify black font color for the search option so only black text is found replace with: ^p1:\1 (The replace inserts a new paragraph/line and inserts a "1:". The "\1" inserts the verse number found above in parenthesis in the search. If you want a space after the verse reference and the start of the verse, add one to the replace text before the closing parenthesis.)

Josh

Tested the above search and replace example using the text from patchworkid but with MS Word 2002. The find shows nothing found. :( Using the replace example but with different find text "18" gives "1:\1" with out the parenthesis. :wacko:

Wondering how many users have the updated version of Word compared to those that don't?

BTW, I like your idea

What else do I like about Word? I should post one of these everyday. I think I have enough for almost a year's worth.

just wished I had the update version.

Thanks for all you are doing with the site.
Scribe

#34 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Scribe,

Did you have Wildcard expressions (option) enabled? Word 2003 supported regular expressions well, just not on large files. Not sure about 2002.

Despite liking Word, I'm not a huge Microsoft fan. I think they're over priced and they rarely innovate--they just copy. But good copiers they are. So it pains me to "advertise" for them. I bought Office 2010 (Word, excel, access, powerpoint) through this place. I have no affiliation with them but they do have great prices. You can get Word 2010 retail (2 installs) for less than $100. And as far as I can tell, they are legitimate. My product key validated with the Microsoft validation servers fine.

Josh

#35 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

Scribe,

Did you have Wildcard expressions (option) enabled? Word 2003 supported regular expressions well, just not on large files. Not sure about 2002.

Despite liking Word, I'm not a huge Microsoft fan. I think they're over priced and they rarely innovate--they just copy. But good copiers they are. So it pains me to "advertise" for them. I bought Office 2010 (Word, excel, access, powerpoint) through this place. I have no affiliation with them but they do have great prices. You can get Word 2010 retail (2 installs) for less than $100. And as far as I can tell, they are legitimate. My product key validated with the Microsoft validation servers fine.

Josh

With the Wildcard expressions (option) enabled it worked this time. I thought I tried it, guess I thought wrong. Thank you :D

Also thanks for the link to purchase Word 2010 I'll keep it handy (on my want list) so that when some extra $ becomes available I'd be able to update my version. Until then 2002 and Open office will have to suffice.

Thanks again for your excellent help.
Scribe

#36 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

hi all,

I am working on a bible that all the verses is in one paragraph so with the help of Josh this is what I did:

Find (search) -> ([0-9]{1,2}) Replace ^p4:\1 now ^p2:\1 - the number after the p is the chapter I am working on. use wild cards.

I open the module in T3 cut from T3 to office and do my work on that chapter once done then I cut and paste to T3.

Now josh if you know a better way to do different chapters in one file. instead of cut and paste each chapter - let me know.

thanks for now I am working it.
Patchworkid

Edited by patchworkid, 16 November 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#37 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Patchworkid, are you working on the same Bible I'm working on????

BCobb

#38 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

If you've ever tried making an e-Sword module, you know what a time consuming task this can be. Today I want so share with you a huge shortcut you can use when you have clean, consistently formatted text. I need to get into the habit of sharing more information like this (it just takes time to make screenshots and write the article).

I spent less than 20 minutes making this e-Sword module because someone gave me clean, consistently formatted text. Granted, it wasn't a large module but it could have been 10x as large and the build time would basically have been the same. (The story here is: someone asked how long until you can make this module? I said, my queue is months deep but if you'll get me clean, consistently formatted text, I can give you a module in half an hour.)

Every document is different. Every module will be different. So all we can use are examples but you can learn to apply these concepts to your future projects. This example is from the Expositor's Bible Commentary (Acts, to be exact):

I started with text that looked like the screenshot below. Acts came in two volumes, so I just combined the files into one file. The text was consistent--the Chapter #, Name, and verse range was the same throughout the file. (Remember, I use Tooltip3 to make modules. So my goal is for my commentary verse reference to start with a "÷" sign followed by the verse reference. If I were making a Topic file, I would want my "÷" to be followed by the chapter name. The text of the verse comment (or chapter comment for a topic file) follows. That's our goal.)

The text started off looking like this:

Attached File  formatting_tut1.png   126.85K   61 downloads

Step 1) Notice my search box in Microsoft Word. I searched for: (Chapter [0-9]{1,2}*^13*^13*^13*^13)(*^13)
  • When searching in Microsoft Word: "*" is a wildcard representing any text.
  • "^13" is the end of the line. "[0-9]{1,2}" means any digit found once or twice.
  • Put that all together and the search will find a line beginning with "Chapter ##", followed by 5 line breaks (represented by ^13). The last line contains the scripture reference.
  • The parenthesis is what makes this possible. Parenthesis tell Word to treat the text found within the parenthesis separately. The first set of parenthesis can be referred to as "\1" and the second set as \2" and if other sets existed, they would be referred to sequentially as well. "\1" represents the first line (Chapter ##), the second line (blank), third line (chapter title), and fourth line (blank). "\2" represents the verse reference (Acts 1:2) we want to capture.
Our replacement text is: ÷\2^p\1\2
  • "÷" is simply a divide symbol that Tooltip3 needs before a verse comment. Who wants to manually insert those. I don't.
  • "\2" refers to the second set of paranthesis in our search statement. Text found in that set of paranthesis is placed where our "\2" variable is. In this example, "\2" represents the Acts 1:2 verse reference in the screenshot.
  • "^p" tells Word to make a new paragraph.
Step 2) When we click the Replace All button, we see the result of our search/replace:

Attached File  formatting_tut2.jpg   335.01K   53 downloads

Notice Acts 1:2 has been copied from beneath the chapter number and name and pasted to the top. A "÷" symbol has been inserted before the Acts 1:2 verse reference.

We could stop here. This is all Tooltip3 needs. We could then run this document through Tooltip 3 and generate our commentary! But sometimes our search/replacing needs a little review. Just a quick glance to make sure nothing crazy happened.

Step 3) Wouldn't it be nice to review all the verse references of our soon-to-be commentary (or chapter names if this were a topic file)?

Attached File  formatting_tut3.png   177.17K   34 downloads
  • Notice our search box again. This time we're searching for: "÷*^13" and replacing with nothing. If you just below our replacement box, you see "Style: Heading 1". I previously made a "style" (Georgia font, size 11, left aligned -- easy, took 1.5 seconds). Styles appear in the left Navigation column. Let's make our ÷ verse reference lines appear in that column.
  • "÷^13" searches for a line beginning with the divide symbol and ending with a line break. We can trust this formatting assumption because we just created it above.
  • The replacement field contains no text but will assign Style 1 to the text found (the entire ÷ line).
The result are the verse references in the Navigation column of the screenshot above. Notice we need to review our work. The second and third references have brackets {} around them because of formatting inconsistencies in our source document. We can quickly review the results of our work.

Now our document is ready for Tooltip3. After tooltipping the document (automatically in T3), we could convert to a commentary. Once our document is in the right format, we're just a minute or two from a completed commentary (or topic file if we were making a topic file)! Use MS Word's search/replace features to get the text right. Then, open the document in T3 and a few clicks later, you have a module...

You can apply these same principles to a document if it's cleanly and consistently formatted. Your search text will be slightly different depending on where the verse reference or chapter name you need to capture is located. But this should get you started!

By request, here is the text from the Acts example above. Scroll down until you see the Chapter 1 header, as shown in the example.

Attached Files

Edited by Josh Bond, 04 December 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#39 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

Hi Josh,
Perhaps another little handy tool, which Rick Meyers created, are the e-Sword Macros. Pity is there aren't any available for WordPerfect. But outside of that, I find that little add-on to utilize with MS Word very good to have.

Oh yeah... I sorta in a round kind of way forgot to mention that I do have MS Office Pro 2003 on my computer. I mostly use it in conjunction with e-Sword for doing News Letters and stuff like that. But WordPerfect is the main word processor I use.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21)
X (formerly Twitter)

#40 SpreadTheWord

SpreadTheWord

Resource Builder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:33 AM

If you've ever tried making an e-Sword module, you know what a time consuming task this can be. Today I want so share with you a huge shortcut you can use when you have clean, consistently formatted text. I need to get into the habit of sharing more information like this (it just takes time to make screenshots and write the article).

Game changingly powerful for me. I'll be asking you some followup questions today I imagine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users