Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Using Microsoft Word to Make Modules

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hi Josh,
On macro programming (writing macros) I hate to tell you this (nah, tell you a lie, I actually get a big buzz in saying this) MS Word just doesn't cut the mustard. The problem is you can't program a macro in word at all. It doesn't give you that capability, and you need an external programming IDE (that if you don't have it, you gotta buy it, which means more expense) like VBA or something like that.

Huh? I record and edit and create macros all the time using the macro editor. I've written countless macros for people who need help with resource specific issues. You have control over logic, loops, way more advanced stuff than my linear code usually is. I usually just record then edit the sequence. Works great for me and Peter all the guys I've made macros for to help with their projects. David Cox has a whole suite of Word macros he coded with no IDE or advanced programming knowledge. (Now, if you want to create some Visual Basic application that "sits" on Word--I guess maybe you need an IDE, but none of us would ever need to do that--we just want to make modules). :D

The problem with using MS Word for the creation of Documentation for software such as pdf files, one has to have added software to convert it to another format such as pdf files. The programs you use are by no means free or cheap, and for some the cost of them would be quite an expensive exercise.

Double huh?? I use Save as/PDF to make PDF's in Word for the User Manual :) The first few versions of the manual I used Save-as. Now, some other software I use has "embedded" itself as add-ons in Word (nitro pdf, for example). But stock Word lets you File / Save as PDF. Works great, let's you control the image quality, compression, how/whether links are defined, etc. :)

Now, here I reckon Dr Dave will agree, WordPerfect

Even my good friend Dr. Dave conceded defeat on WP when he had to get a macro to do basic functionality built into MS Word. :)) Takin' a fun poke here at Dr. Dave, we've debated this a bit too.

WordPerfect is brilliant in the creation of pdf files because all hypertext and bookmark links are saved into the pdf file

Word puts the table of contents links, hypertext, bookmarks, etc in my e-Sword manual... File/Save as for a pdf. The Table of Contents links that take you to a chapter, the internal links within chapters, etc. I didn't do any of that manually. Word did via the config panel before exporting to PDF.

Moreover, you don't have to create multiple rtf files in order to have many "chapters". So I guess that in itself it makes work a lot easier.

I make all my resources (topics, commentaries, etc) with one RTF file. No need to split it up using a word processor unless you get over 10 megs and want to Tooltip it with T3. T3 is the "endpoint" for all my projects. It slices and dices topics into a topic module, commentaries into their respective database entries, etc. I can't imagine creating a resource without using a word processor (any more than I'd use a typewritter to write the e-Sword manual). That's one of the points of my post. Users have this idea that it's hard to make modules, that you have to manually edit databases etc. Nah, it's all easy with some simple tools.

Also too, with the new added features in the Topic Note editor, will make creating a topx file a far better experience, as as such, to some extent will cut out the need for using an external word processor.

Word Processors are still necessary because you take your text from Word or Word Perfect into Tooltip to automatically tooltip your document. Huge, huge, I mean huge (did I say huge?) timesaver. I couldn't live without T3! :) Even Rick's used T3. I can't imagine tooltipping a large resource by hand.

#22 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Josh,
Well things must have changed a great deal over the last few years with MS Word. And I guess MS must have taken some "tips/hints" from OpenOffice, and/or Corel in the creating/converting to pdf format. For what you say is definitely not in Word 2003 (that is the edition I have). So thanks for putting me up to speed on that. Much appreciated.

WordPerfect has a Macro which converts the wpd file to a pdf file, and OpenOffice uses the Save As to save/convert to a pdf file.

Anyway, Josh, again thanks for putting me up to speed with that bit of info.

With regards to editing existing commentary, dictionary, or Bible Modules, I prefer to use SQLite and manually type in the rtf code where needed. This said, I tend to think the best tool for editing already existing resources is MeD. The pity is there is no current version to handle SQLite database type files. For if it did that would make work a heap easier and quicker.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#23 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

With regards to editing existing commentary, dictionary, or Bible Modules, I prefer to use SQLite and manually type in the rtf code where needed. This said, I tend to think the best tool for editing already existing resources is MeD. The pity is there is no current version to handle SQLite database type files. For if it did that would make work a heap easier and quicker.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).

What did Med do that you liked? Was it a word processor that let you edit the contents of an access database (the then standard for e-Sword)? That would be the holy grail of module making for e-Sword--to be able to edit a resource like you're typing into a word processor.

#24 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

Wish there was a macro that would automatically add the chapters to the verses (making 1 into 1:1) without having to highlight each chapter and bulk find/replace. Just one keystroke to do it all flawlessly. I'd have modules made every couple minutes that way!

BCobb

#25 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hi Josh,
I would like to make single verse out of this:

Mat_1:18-25 (Luk_1:26-33)

18Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When1 as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away [by divorce] privily. 20But while he thought on these things, behold, the [an] angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins. 22Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us (Isa.7.). 24Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: 25And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn2 son: and he called His name Jesus.

And like Cobb78 ask to put 1:in front of verse 18...
there is foot note numbers example 25And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn2 son: and he called His name Jesus.

thanks for your help
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#26 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi Josh,
I would like to make single verse out of this:

Mat_1:18-25 (Luk_1:26-33)

18Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When1 as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away [by divorce] privily. 20But while he thought on these things, behold, the [an] angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins. 22Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us (Isa.7.). 24Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: 25And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn2 son: and he called His name Jesus.

And like Cobb78 ask to put 1:in front of verse 18...
there is foot note numbers example 25And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn2 son: and he called His name Jesus.

thanks for your help
Patchworkid

Looks like there's a number of verses there and then footnotes mixed in. Not sure what you mean by "make a single verse out of this". If the footnotes are in blue each time, then you can put each verse on a new line:

search for: ([0-9]{1,2}) --be sure to specify black font color for the search option so only black text is found

replace with: ^p1:\1

(The replace inserts a new paragraph/line and inserts a "1:". The "\1" inserts the verse number found above in parenthesis in the search. If you want a space after the verse reference and the start of the verse, add one to the replace text before the closing parenthesis.)

#27 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

hi thanks i mean one line verse 18 next line 19 ....
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#28 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

hi thanks i mean one line verse 18 next line 19 ....

The above should work as long as the footnote numbers are in blue. Otherwise, the footnote numbers will be treated as verses.

#29 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Cool Thanks again

#30 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

So, would doing a "find/replace" of ([1-9]) with 1:/1 place the chapter number in front of every verse for that chapter at once?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users