Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Modules for Tonga bible

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 allenjim01

allenjim01

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:21 AM

Needing Tonga bible in my studies in Zimbabwe and Zambia.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:13 AM

There is a Tongan bible available for download from e-Swords built in downloader

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:29 PM

The Tongan Bible that is available in the e-Sword Download Manager, is in the Tongan language (which is somewhat similar to Te Reo Maori). So, as to how helpful that would be to Allen in his Zimbabwean and Zambian studies is anyone's guess due to the fact that Tonga is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean and Zimbabwe and Zambia are countries in the African Continent.

Edited by APsit190, 24 April 2024 - 02:33 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted Today, 04:32 AM

I sent a Messenger reply to allenjim01. Realizing the answer would be useful to Bible Support readers, I now share the information with you, as I notice that this e-Sword Module is not linked to be followed by the originator, allenjim01.

There is a Xitsonga 1989 complete Bible, presently out of stock, by the Bible Society of South Africa. https://bibleshop.co.za/product/xitsonga-1989-complete-bible-medium-size-black-hardcover-red-edged/

Please contact that company for assistance. They have their own website where the Bible can be viewed online, and where you can login.

They also have provided their own app which is provided from Google Play, and Apple, for access with mobile devices.

Xitsonga is the home language of more than 2,2 million South Africans, who live mainly in Limpopo and Gauteng.

The pioneer translators of the Bible into Xitsonga were Paul Berthoud, his brother Henri, and Ernest Creux; missionaries of the Swiss-French Mission who came to South Africa in 1875.

In 1892, the first two books of the Bible – Gospel according to Luke and the Book of Acts – were translated into Xitsonga and published by the British and Foreign Bible Society. The first New Testament appeared in 1894 and the first complete Bible – printed in two volumes – in 1907. This translation was revised in 1929 and in 2012 it was published in a new orthography. A new translation in Xitsonga was published by the Bible Society of South Africa in 1989.

You may notice that, like many Bibles produced and translated currently by the United Bible Societies, the Bible Society of South Africa does not stay with the Received Text, such as was used by the King James Version (1611, 1769), and uses other texts.

See also https://www.biblesa.co.za/frequently-asked-questions

I hope this helps.

I recommend that you purchase the Bible as this has been already translated and published by different translators in Tsonga, preferably with large pages, so that you have a hard copy available with margins in which you can make annotations, as required.

However, you may find it useful to check which varieties of translations the local people in the area are using at present, and the orthography of the Xitsonga language, that used in schools in the areas you are interested in providing Bibles and Bible study materials to the people speaking Xitsonga (also known as the Tsonga language).

There is also the Contemporary Tsonga Bible 2024, by City Bible Foundations. You can access this from the following URL: https://www.bible.co...onga-bible-2024

Please be aware that the Jehovah's Witnesses also released a copy of the Bible in Tsonga, on June 28, 2020. see https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/global/Six-Bibles-Released-on-June-28-2020/

Edited by Olaf Bacon, Today, 04:44 AM.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted Today, 10:36 AM

Xitsonga 1989 complete Bible.

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for giving the correct name of that Bible, as at least everyone will know what the correct spelling is for that that Bible.

Bottom line is that one can see there's a huge difference between Tsonga/Xitsonga  and Tonga. Just not the same, hey mate.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, Today, 10:36 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users