Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Problems with e-Sword 13 and Wine on Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 04 September 2021 - 02:49 AM

Rick Meyers, the developer of e-Sword, has an entry on https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html
In the FAQ webpage, (Frequently Asked Questions) one is:
QUESTION: E-SWORD 13 DOESN'T RUN ON LINUX! NOW WHAT?
ANSWER: If you are unable to get the Windows Media Player installed under WINE, then the last stable version of e-Sword on LINUX is version 12.2 which you can download here:
See the Link to e-Sword v12.2.0 Install 56.9 MB, UPDATED 08-28-2020.
TO DO: Click on the link, and download the File.
TO DO: Respond to questions asked by your download browser. What do you want to do with the e-sword_1220_setup.exe?
TO DO: Allow the file to save.
TO DO: Close e-Sword if it is open. Then run the downloaded file, replying to appropriate questions asked by your PC security applications.

TO DO: Also read the other questions and answers on the official e-Sword FAQ webpage.

#12 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:05 AM

I have e-Sword 13.0.0 working on Linux Mint 20.2, and Wine. I installed WMP from https://download.cne...4-10600284.html

I think I had to bypass an authentication check by opening the .exe file and running another .exe file in the package. Anyway got it running. However I cannot get e-Sword to connect to the internet, and as I am not a Linux/Wine expert but complete novice, I am at a loss how to get this working. (Added issue is I am using Linux on a Virtual Machine on Windows 10.)

So the takeaway is e-Sword 13 can be made to run on Linux using Wine, but the above needs to be installed.

P.S. e-Sword took a long time to start, so be patient. However that might have something to do with it trying to find an internet connection and failing.

Hmm rebooted and now nothing working in Wine. Does not seem worth the hassle....

Reinstalled Wine and working again....

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:57 AM

I have e-Sword 13.0.0 working on Linux Mint 20.2, and Wine. I installed WMP from https://download.cne...4-10600284.html

I think I had to bypass an authentication check by opening the .exe file and running another .exe file in the package. Anyway got it running. However I cannot get e-Sword to connect to the internet, and as I am not a Linux/Wine expert but complete novice, I am at a loss how to get this working. (Added issue is I am using Linux on a Virtual Machine on Windows 10.)

So the takeaway is e-Sword 13 can be made to run on Linux using Wine, but the above needs to be installed.

P.S. e-Sword took a long time to start, so be patient. However that might have something to do with it trying to find an internet connection and failing.

Hmm rebooted and now nothing working in Wine. Does not seem worth the hassle....

Reinstalled Wine and working again....

Hey Jon, looks like you've been having a bit of fun, mate. Anyhoo, glad everything seems to be working fine for you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 09 September 2021 - 12:58 AM.

#14 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 01:10 AM

Yes Stephen, it is always fun with Linux Mint 20.2 and WINE, which often ends in a whine, or a moan.

The Internet connection issue is frustrating because other programs I have been testing in WINE like theWord, do connect to the Internet without issue.

#15 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:53 AM

Yes Stephen, it is always fun with Linux Mint 20.2 and WINE, which often ends in a whine, or a moan.

ROFL.gif

The Internet connection issue is frustrating because other programs I have been testing in WINE like theWord, do connect to the Internet without issue.

On a more serious note, and not having to crack up; that is perhaps one of the major issues one has to contend with when running Windows programs on a totally different platform.

Rick won't develop a Linux version of e-Sword simply because of the huge number of distros running around, and as such, I guess that is one of the pitfalls with Linux. It's much simpler to develop for Mac OS and iOS simply because there are no other distros of those operating systems.

Well, I just am glad that it's worked out for you, and trust that it doesn't go bang on you again.

Blessings,

post-94-0-52125500-1325722973.png

Edited by APsit190, 09 September 2021 - 05:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users