Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#341 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

Josh and others

I have checked the eSword directory properties, as well as the modules' properties, and they all show their respective Permissions as "Everyone".
I've even tried opening the eSword program by right-clicking on the application icon and selecting "Run as adminstrator", but that doesn't help either.

I think that if this issue cannot be resolved, I should delete the whole lot from my system and download eSword from scratch. That way I can get not only the latest upgrade version 10.0.03, but also the most recent modules.
What you say about that brilliant idea? Haha!

Let me know please.
Take care and God bless!
Mark

Hi,
Every file in the "program files\e-sword folder" should look like the image below. And the program files\e-sword folder itself should also have the same permissions.

You can try upgrading to 10.0.4, but if the permissions aren't properly set, you will get the same "cannot open" error on every resource.
Attached File  permissions.png   64.34K   29 downloads

#342 ShaneMohammed7

ShaneMohammed7

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

So Josh, I take it the E-Sword 10 manual will be released soon?

#343 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

So Josh, I take it the E-Sword 10 manual will be released soon?

The goal for the developer is to have 10.0.5 final release out on Friday. There's no guarantee there, that's just his unofficial goal.

We went over the manual today and I'm making corrections and additions based on some tips he had. The manual is as done as I can get it, right now. I'm waiting on an unofficial 10.0.5, which I should have today, so I can account for and confirm my understanding of changes in the Editors area.

I'm a lot more comfortable with this manual than the previous versions. I've had time to look at every page now to correct grammar, rewrite, tweak, and clarify as necessary. There's a still a few stylistic discrepancies here and there. From my years as a technical writer, I'm a big fan of "steps". I don't like paragraphs when I can have step-by-step narratives because readers don't like reading paragraphs.

I also made a number of aesthetic changes, like color headings, a chapter tagline at the top of each page (to avoid readers becoming disoriented or "lost"), and title page, etc.

#344 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Also confirmed today: Bible modules cannot have RTF headers. There's a few Bible modules on our site that do have RTF headers and we will have to fix those. The vast majority do not.

If your a module maker, please do not add RTF headers to Bible modules. They will not work in e-Sword 10 forward.

#345 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hey Josh,
Make a cover for the manual too. Sorta something similar to the original one only with the 10x interface. Just a suggestion. Hey, and use your screenshot of it in the cover, as I reckon its looks pretty cool.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#346 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

I think my title page is the cover page?
Attached File  titlepage.png   38.17K   30 downloads

#347 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi Josh

Also confirmed today: Bible modules cannot have RTF headers. There's a few Bible modules on our site that do have RTF headers and we will have to fix those. The vast majority do not.

If your a module maker, please do not add RTF headers to Bible modules. They will not work in e-Sword 10 forward.

Yes, I wrote Rick today about that. That's a real problem. :-(

We have prepared around two hundred aboriginal language bibles that use very specific fonts to display some of the special characters they have, and the only way to add those fonts is by means of RTF headers in every verse. With the change to the new RTF specification, there is no way to use two of them at the same time, unless you change the default font every time you click on one of them. That's a big step backwards. New specifications should make things easier and better, not the other way around.

Rick is very nice and willing to help, but in this case I simply don't know what the solution could be. The best option is to use a huge font such as Arial Unicode, but it doesn't look very good, and some characters are not included. Hmmm. r:-/

Carlos

#348 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hi Josh

Yes, I wrote Rick today about that. That's a real problem. :-(

We have prepared around two hundred aboriginal language bibles that use very specific fonts to display some of the special characters they have, and the only way to add those fonts is by means of RTF headers in every verse. With the change to the new RTF specification, there is no way to use two of them at the same time, unless you change the default font every time you click on one of them. That's a big step backwards. New specifications should make things easier and better, not the other way around.

Rick is very nice and willing to help, but in this case I simply don't know what the solution could be. The best option is to use a huge font such as Arial Unicode, but it doesn't look very good, and some characters are not included. Hmmm. r:-/

Carlos

The best long term solution for e-Sword would be to use a flat file to store Bibles. Then you could wrap the whole Bible text in a RTF wrapper and have your special fonts. And then your Bible could be formatted with paragraphs like printed versions have. Then if you had a Bible in a flat file, without paragraph breaks, you could apply the KJV paragraph breaks to that text. It opens the door to much more flexibility with Bibles and would be the right technical direction, in my view.

#349 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

hi sorry, but what is exactly rtf heading? i need to know what it is ?

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#350 emilzalez

emilzalez

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

All this is like Greek to me. But any way, I'm waiting for the final release to make the change.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users