Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#351 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hi Patchworkid

hi sorry, but what is exactly rtf heading? i need to know what it is ?

E-Sword modules are written in a format named RTF (Rich Text Format). This format is basically text, with some special tags for format. For instance, if you want to display a word in bold text, you use {\b I'm bold}. If you want to display it in italics, you use \i. Bible references have the format {\cf11\ul Gen_1:1} where \cf11 means green and \ul means underlined. And so on.

An RTF text always begins with a header where you estate the fonts you will be using, the character table, colors and some other details.

E-Sword supplies that header by default, so you don't need to put a header in every verse or in every entry in your module. However, some modules have a header of their own because they require a specific font. That used to work fine in e-Sword until v10.0.2, but in 10.0.3 a new specification was adopted that no longer allows this. So modules that contain their own RTF header didn't display any text. Most of them were commentaries, that's the reason why so many people complained their commentaries were no longer working.

Rick resolved this situation by instructing e-Sword not to apply its header if the module already had one. And this patch works fine with most modules, except with bibles.

And this is the point where we are now. :-) I'm sure Rick will come across with a solution.

I hope this was understandable. O:-)

Carlos

#352 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

About the RTF headers and Bible fonts:

so, all of the special characters that should be used must be found within the TITUS Cyberbit Basic?

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#353 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

About the RTF headers and Bible fonts:

so, all of the special characters that should be used must be found within the TITUS Cyberbit Basic?

Or change your default font to one that works with your project, understanding that that will affect everything else.

#354 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hey, BH,

I'm thinking about these guys on the front lines, translating their Bibles into languages that have characters not found in TITUS Cyberbit Basic. How should they proceed if eSword's rtf header system is going to block their work?

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#355 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

My understanding of Unicode is this

almost every font follows a standard called Unicode each character is assigned a number all the fonts that carry that character say an "A" will have an A so when you switch fonts the A stays an A even though they may look a little differently

But not every font carries every character if you want Greek You have to select a font that carries Greek when you use a font that does not carry that character you will get a box

If I'm understanding correctly the problem comes when special fonts that dont follow the standard are used that need to be sent with the module and have to have an RTF header to basically to tell eSword to use this font at these places in the text and with eSword now not allowing headers we get garbage

So TITUS cyberbit basic seems to be the one font that contains the most EXTRA characters and would be the font use for Greek Hebrew
but the other languages that TITUS does not carry there are language type selections in eSword but they to do not cover all languages

My knowledge on this is not 100% so please feel free to add or refute comments

I seem to be repeating myself But A published standard for eSword modules would be very Helpful

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#356 God's Prayer Warrior

God's Prayer Warrior

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Josh,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the pic to show me what the Permissions should look like.
As I said to you in my previous post, my Permissions already look like that. I even got my landlord, who is an IT expert to have a look at it to confirm that I am looking at the right thing, and he confirms it.
He also can't find the fault. He even downloaded eSword version 10.03 to see for himself.
The Lord bless you and keep you!

#357 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hi DoctorDaveT

I'm thinking about these guys on the front lines, translating their Bibles into languages that have characters not found in TITUS Cyberbit Basic. How should they proceed if eSword's rtf header system is going to block their work?

In the Options - Fonts menu you can select specific fonts for a good number of scripts.

In the case I was telling I needed some special characters that do not belong to any of those languages, and we even ordered a font from a font-maker in order to display them. I contacted Rick and he has just answered that Bibles will now have special unicode support. If I got it right, when a character is not present in your default font, it will display it using the best font available. I have seen Microsoft Word does something similar.

That improvement is not available yet, but I think it can work very well.

Carlos

#358 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi Do you think it will be in 10.05 version?

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#359 Michael Arnold

Michael Arnold

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationShelbyville, Tennessee

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

I'm new to e-Sword so I am just starting to get around in it and download some resources. I have 9.9.1. Can I install 10.0.4 without causing any problems? I mean with the modules that I have installed.

#360 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Biblesupport.

There won't be a problem with any modules after installing e-Sword ver. 10.0.4, but I would suggest you wait for e-Sword ver. 10.0.5, which is due for release today/tomorrow 11.11.2011.
It (most probably) is the final version.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users