Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Why "Son of man" not found in Mark (HCSB)?

9 replies to this topic

#1 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

I'm confoozed. I search for the exact phrase in HCSB and get a lot of hits but none in Mark. Search in HCSB Bible and get 241 verses, but the last one is Matthew 18:11 ā€“ none in Mark. Search in KJV and get 273 verses with 14 of them being in Mark's gospel. But guess what? With my Bible window set to the HCSB, I can click on 13 of those 14 verses and the phrase also appears! Why does it find none in Mark when I specify to search the HCSB? Am I doing something wrong here?

#2 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

hi

if you can find it int KJV, click on the verse and change the bible to HSCB.  I searched for son of man and found it  look at mark 8:38

thanks

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#3 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

I found 14 in the HCSB

(Mark 2:10 csb)  " But so you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins," He told the paralytic,

(Mark 2:28 csb)  " Therefore the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

(Mark 8:31 csb)  Then He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, be killed, and rise after three days.

(Mark 8:38 csb)  " For whoever is ashamed of Me and of My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."

(Mark 9:9 csb)  As they were coming down from the mountain, He ordered them to tell no one what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead.

(Mark 9:12 csb)  " "Elijah does come first and restores everything," He replied. "How then is it written about the Son of Man that He must suffer many things and be treated with contempt?

(Mark 9:17 csb)  Out of the crowd, one man answered Him, "Teacher, I brought my son to You. He has a spirit that makes him unable to speak.

(Mark 9:31 csb)  For He was teaching His disciples and telling them, "The Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of men. They will kill Him, and after He is killed, He will rise three days later."

(Mark 10:33 csb)  " "Listen! We are going up to Jerusalem. The Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn Him to death. Then they will hand Him over to the Gentiles,

(Mark 10:45 csb)  " For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life--a ransom for many."

(Mark 13:26 csb)   Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.

(Mark 14:21 csb)  " For the Son of Man will go just as it is written about Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born."

(Mark 14:41 csb)  " Then He came a third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The time has come. Look, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners.

(Mark 14:62 csb)  "I am," said Jesus, "and all of you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power and coming with the clouds of heaven."

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#4 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Interesting......

Limit the books to the gospels... and you get only matthew.

Start the search with Mark and you get the rest of the NT.

Also note, Searching Matt - John

The bottom of the search screen states that 81 verses were found.....

only 16 display ... and the summary for the search also does NOT display

Search just Matt and there should be 29 verses.... again only 16 display...

Strange indeed.....

#5 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

Yes, I know, Guys. I also found it 13 or 14 times in Mark's presentation of the gospel. But please do this: Select the HCSB tab in your Bible window. Now click on the binocular search icon above the Bible window. Type in the 3-word phrase. Change the default "Search for all of the words" to "Search for the exact phrase" and click the binocular search icon in the upper-right corner of the search window. Now scroll down to the last found search result. Is it Matthew 18:11? Mine is. It doesn't show *one single verse* in Mark! If you repeat the search in the KJV and click on any of the verse references, you will see the corresponding verse - with the phrase - displayed over in the Bible window in the HCSB.

'Splain Lucy, 'splain. I can't recall ever experiencing anything like this in any search before.

#6 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

Roy, you submitted your reply above while I was typing  mine and trying to get it to make sense. I'm, a slow typist! :-)

Edited to add: Gonna have to get back to studying my lesson for Sunday now. This just blew my mind. But then, this old mind gets easily blown these days.

Edited by EarlMelton, 10 June 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

You should report this to Rick. I have seen this sort of thing in the past, and it was due to an extra } in the code which makes it terminate. It looks like it will be at Matt 18:11, as you mention that was the last match....

Jon

#8 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

Thanks JPG,

Good suggestion! I did just now.

Edit: Sent him the URL of the page you're now reading.

Edited by EarlMelton, 12 June 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#9 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

Following is Rick's reply to the query I sent at JPG's suggestion:

======================================================

Earl,

It is apparently a formatting error within the module affecting the
results display, but it does locate all the verses.  If you click the
"Convert to Verse List" button you will see them all listed.

In His service,

Rick Meyers
rick@e-sword.net

#10 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

I tried out what you said,  lo and behold no "son of man" in Mark.  But if I do a search of Mark only then they show up????

Gal 2:20

Iā€™m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users