I tried copying my backup top files in but that did not work, only when I moved all of the top files out, then copied the backups in did it work. I have a lot of resources for E-sword 7.1.0, I did upgrade once and it messed up everything, thank goodness I have back ups of everything including E-sword 7.5 installer. I have several bibles I got using the various import tools back when they worked as I recalled those bibles do not work with the newer versions of E-sword., I have like 61 bibles.
I praise God, and I'm glad you got things working again for you.
When it comes to Bibles (and probably commentaries and dictionaries as well) I'm much the same as you are on that score. When Rick Meyers changed over the Database systems from Access to SQLite files it was a huge amount of work converting the third party Access resources to make them compatible to the SQLite database system, but I got there in the end, and have never looked backwards.
The fact that Good ol' Clint produced a conversion tool (which I understand is still available for downloading from here) that did batch conversions saved a heap amount of work. The only resources I had to replace were the official e-Sword ones, but that proved to be no real drama to do.
I still recommend that you upgrade e-Sword to the latest version (10.4), and then in that way you can, at a 97% chance (as in reality there is no such glory in 100% when it comes to computers), that your resources will not be corrupted. Moreover, you will then be able to have the resources which are available for e-Sword 9 and 10+ that are not available for the version you are currently using.
If you wish, email me your Snail Mail address, I would be more than willing to send you the latest version of e-Sword with all the resources I have (1.67GB of compressed data) either on a DVD or a USB pendrive. By the way, when fully installed, you will have 4.11GB of data, and if you include the stuff you have that I don't have, you will even end up with more.