Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 P.R.E.Z.

P.R.E.Z.

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Frankly, I'm surprised that this was not more populated. This seems to a subject which many teachers, theologians, and preachers like to discuss. Maybe no one caught this since it's buried near the bottom of the forum. 

That being said, let me be the first to suggest some Bible study tools for those either looking to add to their current toolbox or just starting out and don't know where to start. 

I think it goes without saying that if you are here then you are probably using e-Sword or MySword as your Bible software of choice. Smart move. There are plenty others out there like Logos, Accordance, PC Study Bible, and Word Search (formerly Bible Explorer). However, e-Sword is free (can't beat that with a stick), has a great interface, is just as powerful as the pricey versions, and has plenty of add-ons that you can download and install to customize your Bible study experience with preferential precision. I have been using it exclusively for years and like we say in the slang vernacular, Rick Meyers killed it when he created it. God bless that man.

The first and most basic is a Strong's Concordance. This is a good way get a basic grasp on Greek and Hebrew word meanings. 

Next to that is Vine's Expository Dictionary. This goes much more in depth to the meaning of the Greek in the New Testament and is a staple reference for the serious student of the New Testament. W.E. Vines attempted to create a similar reference for the Old Testament as well but it wasn't as in depth and he went to be with the Lord before he could finish it if memory serves right.

There are two Bible dictionaries I use. Either of these is fine. The first is Holman's Bible Dictionary. This comes complete with illustrations and photos of ancient sites as well as in depth definitions of particular people, places, and things throughout the scripture. A plethora of contemporary biblical scholars and professors have contributed to it. This is a top notch dictionary and I highly recommend it.

The other which is every bit as good as the Holman's Bible dictionary is the updated Unger's Bible Dictionary. This is the dictionary I began with early in my walk with the Lord and I keep a copy just to compare the two and have a full understanding of a particular subject I'm studying.

Maps are the next thing and the maps that come with e-Sword works just fine. Gotta be honest here. This is where Logos and Accordance shine. They have some impressive graphic packages, interactive maps (Logos), analytics and more. 

Next are commentaries which are optional but helpful. It's like having your own personal Bible teacher which is why I recommend them. When I prepare to teach, I may consult anywhere from seven to ten commentaries after I've written my full notes on a verse. This is totally optional and you don't have to be anywhere near where I am in terms of number and two or three good ones are just fine. Matthew Henry (awesome but my boy writes a lot), JFB (just the opposite. Too short on many verses), and John Gill (just wordy for no good reason at times but still some good, solid material), which come with e-Sword, are just fine. I use all of them along with Adam Clarke, J.P. Lange, John Calvin, John MacArthur, William MacDonald, Warren Wiersbe, and John Wesley.

Commentaries may help you in comprehending a text. The only thing I suggest when utilizing them is to use them after you have extrapolated all that you can from the text. This ensures that you are actually doing the work and studying “to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth”.

One thing that you can do is sign up for Logos account and get their free offerings every month. It's a free library of some classic, orthodox teaching and is a great adjunct to have at your fingertips. 

These are the basics with just some extras thrown in. There's more but this is plenty and will keep you very busy in your research and understanding of the Lord's Word.

There's my list. Who's next?

David Washington

Berean Home Fellowship

Pastor/Teacher/Elder

www.bereanhomechurch.org

"In a word, where there is no sanctification, there is no regeneration and where there is no holy life, there is no new birth." - J.C. Ryle

#2 satch73467@yahoo.com

satch73467@yahoo.com

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hi there, thanks for your post.  I was just curious, I am considering going to finish a degree through Louisana Baptist University, and they are now requiring purchasing Logos Bible software, you sound like you are a little familiar with this and wondered what you thought of the program.  Also any info you might know about LBU would be appreciated as well,

Thanks,

Doug 

#3 davidedmorn

davidedmorn

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

To have faith in Jesus means to trust Him, without reservation. When a person has faith in Jesus, it means that he or she believes who Jesus is and trusts what Jesus has done

http://spiritandtruthrevival.org/

Edited by davidedmorn, 29 March 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#4 P.R.E.Z.

P.R.E.Z.

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

Hey Doug. Not sure how I missed your post but I'll go ahead and answer your post though it's a day late and a dollar short. My hope is that it helps someone else.

As far as Logos is concerned, I do have some familiarity with it for some time now. The first thing I will say is that it is pricey. In my opinion, for no good reason. It's like in music - Pro Tools is the defacto software of the pros though there are others that perform just as well and sometimes better: Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, and Sonar. Called the Big Five. Serious music producers use at least one of these.

Now, I make that comparison because it's the same with Bible software. Logos is the defacto standard. But there are others that are good like I mentioned before: Accordance, PC Study Bible and Word Search. Logos, however, has some features that are pretty impressive which is why it's the standard when it comes to intuitiveness, interactivity, and depth. It's not that you can't get deep with the other software - you most certainly can. Logos just makes it user-friendly with a couple clicks. Plus their library that comes with the software, no matter what package you get, is extensive. What am I saying - it's downright ridiculous.

So, it is a great program but there are some things you have watch out for.

One is whether you can afford it. Base packages start at $200.00 and go up from there. However, I did the math and comparison - eSword has has a vast majority of the same resources for free. Not lying. Do a comparison to Bronze base package. However, to be fair, the resources for Logos are compiled and edited professionally. The look good and work with you Logos package.

Second is whether you are going to invest in your studies beyond the base package. Logos has a massive, and I do mean massive resource library and they don't come cheap though you can get some good deals sometimes with community pricing.

Third is whether you're going to be serious about your studies. This is not for the fly-by-night, feel good talker on Sunday morning. This is for the serious student looking to get some meat for themselves and to share it with others. That means laboring in the word, wrestling with the text to get a full meaning, being willing to spend 40 minutes to an hour on a verse (not lying here. It's that serious.)

Having taken inventory of all of that, you then must make sure you have the hardware to handle it. It's resource heavy and so you need a decent computer to handle it. Check your specs beforehand. If you have the hardware, then make your life easier by getting dual monitors. Like my favorite detective Monk used to say, "You'll thank me later."

Logos is a great program but you can get as in depth with some of the other Bible programs. Easily. I'm old school. I like books and software. The geek and the nerd in me meeting. However, if you can get it for free or a discount as a student, get it. Also, you can download it for free, try it out and see if you like it.

Edited by P.R.E.Z., 30 May 2015 - 06:21 PM.

David Washington

Berean Home Fellowship

Pastor/Teacher/Elder

www.bereanhomechurch.org

"In a word, where there is no sanctification, there is no regeneration and where there is no holy life, there is no new birth." - J.C. Ryle

#5 Jarem08

Jarem08

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Another set of resources that I found is priceless is the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament and the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. The TWOT (Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament) is great in its simplicity. It does not go super deep but it is easily understandable. Plus it is connected to the BDB in the E-Sword.

The TDNT (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament) is a little bit bulkier. It is ten books in the set and it covers in great detail the word under discussion. When I say detail, I mean detail! The word grace by itself is about fifteen pages (give or take). It is a little pricy, but there is a great website that I like to use. It is biblio.com. Sometimes they are cheaper than Amazon and there is a good selection of Christian bookstores that we can support! Another great resource that I have used consistently is James Ussher.

As I have asked several Jewish Messianic Rabbis and they say that he is accurate. He gives a lot of behind the scene information. Hope this helps!

#6 Jarem08

Jarem08

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Forgot to add about your comment on Commentaries.

I appreciate your thought that we need to use commentaries only after we have dug into the verse ourselves. I used to go straight to them and realized early enough the danger of that! Barnes I have found has misused the idea of Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God.

With that being said, a couple of other commentaries that I do like is Jamieson, Faussett and Brown; Keil Delitzsch; and Pulpit commentary. I can only speak to them to the degree that I have used them and so far they seem to be fairly accurate. JFB is mainly N.T. and K&D is mainly O.T.

Pulpit is a big series with many different authors covering the entire Bible.

All three are free on E-Sword!

#7 Charles Coker_221306

Charles Coker_221306

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Forgot to add about your comment on Commentaries.

I appreciate your thought that we need to use commentaries only after we have dug into the verse ourselves. I used to go straight to them and realized early enough the danger of that! Barnes I have found has misused the idea of Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God.

With that being said, a couple of other commentaries that I do like is Jamieson, Faussett and Brown; Keil Delitzsch; and Pulpit commentary. I can only speak to them to the degree that I have used them and so far they seem to be fairly accurate. JFB is mainly N.T. and K&D is mainly O.T.

Pulpit is a big series with many different authors covering the entire Bible.

All three are free on E-Sword!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users