Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

How to install modules with eSword for Mac

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 chadadams17

chadadams17

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

Maybe I'm missing something...I'm trying to download modules using my mac to use on eSword X on my mac. Is there a way to download, convert, and install these modules just using a mac? I tried downloading the converter from the eSword website and it is a .exe file just like the modules, I can't open it either. I'm just so confused as to why there isn't a "Download for Mac" button on the biblesupport website...

#42 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

Maybe I'm missing something...I'm trying to download modules using my mac to use on eSword X on my mac. Is there a way to download, convert, and install these modules just using a mac? I tried downloading the converter from the eSword website and it is a .exe file just like the modules, I can't open it either. I'm just so confused as to why there isn't a "Download for Mac" button on the biblesupport website...

Modules for use on the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword have a different file format than those for use on the windows versions of e-Sword. Modules for the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword have a file extension that ends in the letter "i" while modules for windows versions of e-Sword have a file extension that ends in the letter "x" 

The Apple/Mac modules file extensions are as follows:

Bible modules for Apple/Mac have the extension "bbli"
Commentary modules have the extension "cmti"
Reference modules have the extension "refi"
Dictionary modules have the extension "dcti" 

Modules on this site that are .exe file are self installing modules for use with Windows versions of e-Sword only.

Unfortunately there is no conversion tool that runs on Apple/Mac computers (although in my opinion it is needed)

As for a button that says "Download for Mac" here on biblesupport it is due to the fact that the majority of modules on this site are for the Windows versions of e-Sword. Each module available on this site has a page with a description of the module along with information indicating which version of e-Sword the module is for. All modules that run on e-Sword version 11 for Windows will also run on the Mac version of Windows  

#43 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Unfortunately there is no conversion tool that runs on Apple/Mac computers (although in my opinion it is needed)

OK, on that note, there is now a fully blown version of Visual Studio for Macs. If you are a hobbyist or professional software developer/programmer and are a Mac user, and want to be able to contribute to the support e-Sword users by developing tools similar to those created for e-Sword on Windows, then you now have the best opportunity. Click here to download Visual Studio for Mac.

Screenshot of VS for Mac in Coding Mode

Screen-Shot-2017-04-26-at-3.46.30-PM.png

Screenshot of Visual Studio For Mac in Debug Mode

Screen-Shot-2017-04-25-at-2.05.30-PM.png

Development iOS and Android mobile devices (using Xamerin) is also included. As to whether or not one can take VS Studio project created for Windows, and convert on the Mac edition of VS, I don't know. But if one can, then this will open the possibilities of what one can do far and wide with this program.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#44 abhilashjoel

abhilashjoel

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

You guys have done a good job by creating this amazing resource and distributing it freely. But why aren't you distributing a PDF version that is much more easier to use across all platforms.

You guys need to get your aspirations correct. If your aim is to reach more people then distribute a PDF or other versions that are easier to use.
Ideally, people would prefer to have things work with as few number of clicks as possible.
I would like to encourage you to make things more accessible to people.

PS: Having more number of downloads does not mean more people are using them. Even I downloaded this version, but I got frustrated because of the confusing steps required to get it to work.

#45 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

You guys need to get your aspirations correct. If your aim is to reach more people then distribute a PDF or other versions that are easier to use.

Ideally, people would prefer to have things work with as few number of clicks as possible.

The resources that are created are for e-Sword, and that is what its really about. A great deal of them (I assume, and can  be corrected if wrong) are created from pdf files, and therefore already exits. So all it takes is to do a search for a particular resource in a pdf format and download it themselves. Moreover, the reason for having them as e-Sword resources is because every resource is interacts with the rest of the program, including Maps and STEP library resources.

The ability to paste directly from Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, Devotional, and Harmony of the Gospel resources into any of the editors is where they come into there own. Then also add the fact one can actually read Scripture references via popup tooltips also makes these resources as there own. These things cannot be done from a pdf or a word processor  file.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#46 tmanwell

tmanwell

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:28 AM

Product looks like it COULD be good, but having severe difficulties trying to get downloaded module for MAC working. I've tried following the pinned tutorial, but cannot seem to get my Barclay's module to load in e-sword. That was the primary reason why I was willing to spend the $9.99 in the first place.  :-(

#47 kerbyrials

kerbyrials

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLansing, Michigan, USA

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

It would be great if Mac versions of the software were available without having to jump through all the hoops required above with CrossOver, etc.

#48 swampland

swampland

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:55 AM

I have the Mac version of e-Sword, so how do I install modules?

Do I still need to install CrossOver?

I tried it but didn't find e-Sword in the bottle? I think it is for e-Sword also a Windows version?  So if I have bought a e-Sword Mac version, how does that work?

Edited by swampland, 03 June 2020 - 03:59 AM.

#49 swampland

swampland

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:01 PM

Modules for use on the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword have a different file format than those for use on the windows versions of e-Sword. Modules for the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword have a file extension that ends in the letter "i" while modules for windows versions of e-Sword have a file extension that ends in the letter "x" 

The Apple/Mac modules file extensions are as follows:

Bible modules for Apple/Mac have the extension "bbli"
Commentary modules have the extension "cmti"
Reference modules have the extension "refi"
Dictionary modules have the extension "dcti" 

Modules on this site that are .exe file are self installing modules for use with Windows versions of e-Sword only.

As for a button that says "Download for Mac" here on biblesupport it is due to the fact that the majority of modules on this site are for the Windows versions of e-Sword. Each module available on this site has a page with a description of the module along with information indicating which version of e-Sword the module is for. All modules that run on e-Sword version 11 for Windows will also run on the Mac version of Windows  

I have contacted e-Sword and they suggest me to ask someone here to convert the file into the "i" format.  Who can I ask for help for this? Thanks!

#50 bobkehn

bobkehn

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

Hi y'all; I have macOS Big Sur version 11.4. I cannot open any modules. I tried installing and opening e-sword module installer (won't open). .zip files won't open. I get the feeling all this is not compatable with mac unless I want to spend money for Crossover, which I don't. So I paid $10 for a simple KJV word search program? What am I missing? thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users