Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

How to install modules with eSword for Mac

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 MikeRebich

MikeRebich

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

POPULAR

Hello all. I recently found this website and first want to say what a wonderful resource and blessing...

My question is how to install the modules on a Mac? I am running eSword on my iMac using the Crossover software.

#2 grams

grams

PrayerRequest.com Admin

• Members (T)
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the helpful information. To summarize what got E-Sword for Mac working for me :

1. I installed CrossOver on my Mac (OSX 10.8.2) and used their defaults for the e-Sword program.

2. Then, to install modules from BibleSupport.com, I just download the module installer file ending in .exe normally from the web browser on my Mac.

3. When I click to open the .exe module installer file from my downloads, it directly opens CrossOver.

4. From there I just select the e-Sword bottle as follows, click Install, follow the default module installer prompts, and it works.

Screenshot below: Installing an .exe module from BibleSupport.com on e-Sword for Mac
Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 12.54.45 PM.png   90.49K   313 downloads

5. To install other BibleSupport.com modules on a Mac that are not in .exe format, such as .cmtx, .bblx, .topx, and those contained in .zip files, I also installed the e-Sword Module Installer within CrossOver. This allows you to download these modules still within your Mac browser (Chrome in my case). Then when you click to open the downloaded file, it will open in the e-Sword Module Installer. To do this, we need to do a few extra things as follows:
  • b. Open CrossOver. From the top menu bar, Select Configure, Install Software from the top menu.
  • c. For the program installation options select the following - Window 1: select Other Application (near bottom of list); Window 2: Select an Installer - Edit - Choose Installer File, Select the ModuleInstallerSetup.exe file just downloaded in step (a) above, then Click Use This Installer Button. Window 3: Will install into the bottle...Select Edit, then choose the e-Sword bottle. Then click install. (Screen shot of this step is below)
Screenshot below: Installing the e-Sword Module Installer on a Mac
Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 5.16.58 AM.png   90.91K   297 downloads
  • d. Now you can just download these other file types in your Mac browser normally from biblesupport.com. After downloading, just click on them. The non .exe modules will then open in the e-Sword Module Installer. The .exe modules will still open as standalone installers just as they did before. For .zip files, just open the .zip first then click on the files inside.
Screenshot below: Opening a non .exe module from BibleSupport.com on e-Sword for Mac using the Module Installer.
Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 5.23.56 AM.png   226.99K   389 downloads

End result shown below: e-Sword for Mac with BibleSupport.com modules.
Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 1.24.36 PM.png   192.2K   361 downloads

Should you want to access the actual module files such as to remove modules or copy them manually: Open e-Sword then select the Open C Drive in Finder button, and navigate down to the Program Files/e-Sword directory as shown in the screenshot below:
Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 6.57.44 AM.png   257.69K   282 downloads

Greg

Edited by grams, 13 November 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hey Greg,
Looks good mate. Well done.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#4 grams

grams

PrayerRequest.com Admin

• Members (T)
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Thanks. I hope this was helpful. I also just added a step to use the e-Sword Module Installer on a Mac as well for the other module types other than .exe. See Step 5 in the revised post above on how to get E-Sword for Mac to use the modules here.

Edited by grams, 13 November 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#5 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Note to Josh:

A post this good should be given prominence somewhere.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#6 MikeRebich

MikeRebich

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Ah wonderful... I was wondering if I could use the module installer also... thank you for the help!

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Removed the clutter. Moved to Tutorials. Left a link in the original forum to this Tutorial. And Pinned it for future Mac users. :)

#8 Jeff sombody

Jeff sombody

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

this did not work for me... why?

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

this did not work for me... why?

To be able to help, we'll need more detail on what error you received? When? Tell us the steps you took and the specific errors or problems that arose.

#10 Wellman

Wellman

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm having trouble finding the Bible modules (ex ESV) within the Mac/Crossover setup? When I go into downloads > Bibles tab, its appearing blank. 

Is there something I need to do for them to refresh into the list?

Is there a webpage I can get the .exe files from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users