Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Totally "lost at sea" with new download of e-Sword...throw me a line?

49 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Long time user of e-Sword.
Bought a new computer
Downloaded newest version and the update.
All it has is the Geneva Bible, KJV1611 and 3 commentaries (Gill, Geneva, TSK)
Numerous attempts to download other Bibles, e.g. ESV, KJV 1769
Downloads look good, complete, but after restart do not appear in the program template.
Now I see the downloads in my C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword folder

QUESTION: How do I get them from this folder into the e-Sword program? In the past, downloads just "automatically" appeared in the e-Sword program......

I have the feeling I am missing a step here or something....but have tried so many times, so many variations, I am just about to go get a mortgage loan and buy Logos.

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

hi,

have you try using Module Installation? http://www.biblesupp...ler-04-updated/

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#3 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

ok, just downloaded the Module Installation.....

Now, when I click on the downloaded modules, since as ESV bible, I get a pop up box which says: e-Sword Installation not detected. You cannot install e-Sword modules if e-Sword is not installed (duh!)

Of course, e-Sword IS installed and opens and functions with the few modules which came with the initial download........

Now what? :)

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Launch e-Sword. Click Help. Click About. What version does it say?

I created the module installer to help PC novices install modules from this site. It generates that error message when the registry entry is not present. That registry entry is created by e-Sword when it installs. If the registry entry is not there, then my logic in the program is to conclude e-Sword is not installed. e-Sword needs this registry entry in order to run.

The e-Sword Downloader that's built into e-Sword does not need the module installer. It downloads the module into your e-Sword folder.

Since neither the module installer is working or the e-Sword downloader, then I would suspect something "crazy" is going on on your computer? So let's talk "crazy" possibilities. :) What version of Windows are you using? It's not linux or any operating system that wasn't designed to run e-Sword, is it? I ask because that would account for my program's failure to read the registry.

Also, do you have 2 versions of e-Sword installed at the same time? I suspect this but can't tell without more information.

#5 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

to deal with the last question first, that is not impossible. I made an effort to copy all the old stuff off my replaced computer but was under the impression "programs" would not transfer...so I downloaded the newest version plus the update, several times, including today just before I posted my initial query here.

Running Windows 7

Now to double-check the version: 10.1.0

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't have any idea what issue would prevent the module installer from reading the registry and what would cause modules installed with the e-Sword downloader not to work.

Maybe try www.e-sword.net/feedback.html. Rick can help you troubleshoot his e-Sword Downloader.

#7 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I wrote to Rick about two weeks ago when this started and have never gotten a response.

I just deleted everything, including all the downloaded commentaries, Bibles, etc and started over.

Downloaded e-Sword again. This time I got only the KJ1611 and TSK. Had been getting a Geneva Bible and Geneva commentary and Gill commentary.

Tried to download ESV......it appeared to work but the file was not in the x86 program list. Searched out the file, moved it to the program folder, double clicked it, went through the "install" templates.....was lookin' good!.......restarted e-Sword........
nothing!

oh, and all the other downloads have re-appeared in the program file folder .....the ones I just deleted.

Well, I appreciate your efforts and patience. I am ready to give up........and save up.......and buy Logos. :)

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Logos is great software. If you go the paid route, I highly recommend it.

#9 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

This is just so frustrating...e-Sword worked just fine for me for years.....now BLAHHHHH! :)

I'm too old for this.........and too broke for Logos.......lol

Seriously appreciative of your efforts! Thanks very much

#10 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

This is just so frustrating...e-Sword worked just fine for me for years.....now BLAHHHHH! :)

I'm too old for this.........and too broke for Logos.......lol

Seriously appreciative of your efforts! Thanks very much

I've also been an e-Sword user for many years, and don't want any other Bible Study program. Tell us what's going wrong, and maybe many of the great folks here can help you. e-Sword still works great for me, so I'm hoping that it's something simple that can be fixed easily. Do you get any error messages?

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users