Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Totally "lost at sea" with new download of e-Sword...throw me a line?

49 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

DoctorDaveT,
I am running Windows 7 64 bit and I have both the Program Files & the Program Files (x86) folders on mine.

64 bit operating system always has both folders. x86 is for 32-bit programs. Program Files (with no x86) is for 64-bit programs. e-Sword is a 32-bit program, so it goes in program files (x86)\e-sword on a 64-bit operating system.

A 32 bit operating system should only have program files\e-sword. e-Sword should be in that folder on a 32-bit version of Windows.

I've never seen the e-Sword installer get this wrong. It's always properly detected the 32 vs 64 bit and installed accordingly. But this could arise if someone attempted to copy the files from one PC to another and did not understand 32-bit vs 64-bit.

#22 bbacle

bbacle

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

64 bit operating system always has both folders. x86 is for 32-bit programs. Program Files (with no x86) is for 64-bit programs. e-Sword is a 32-bit program, so it goes in program files (x86)\e-sword on a 64-bit operating system.

A 32 bit operating system should only have program files\e-sword. e-Sword should be in that folder on a 32-bit version of Windows.

I've never seen the e-Sword installer get this wrong. It's always properly detected the 32 vs 64 bit and installed accordingly. But this could arise if someone attempted to copy the files from one PC to another and did not understand 32-bit vs 64-bit.

You are right about that.
Thanks.

#23 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

This may be a little offtopic, but you might want to try theWord.

It's a great free Bible software.

If you can not get e-Sword working then I would suggest the Word. Personally use both software-they are free beside spending a lot of money (if you really don't have the money for logos).

but check your resource location.
What was your old version of e-Sword?

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#24 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I was about 3/4 down with my back last night and somehow missed the first of the thread, so I wasn't much help to you. I apologize. It sounds like a possible permissions problem. You got e-Sword to install and work, but the download function isn't working for additional modules. You could try the download again after logging in as the Administrator or changing the permissions to give your current user full access. I chose to give my current user full access.

Highlight the e-sword exe file - click properties - click users - mark "full control". This is on Vista, so it may look differently on Windows 7. I hope this helps you.

Edited by Tom Rightmer, 21 April 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#25 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Looking at your screenshots. I see the screenshot of your program files\e-sword folder. And I see the screenshot of your e-Sword resources. They match. Every module in program files\e-sword is showing in your e-Sword resources screenshot. So what's the issue?

I guess Strong's isn't showing? That's the point of those 2 screenshots? Trying to understand... It seems your complaint was you copied modules to program files\e-Sword and they do not appear inside e-Sword even after you restart e-Sword. You mentioned using the e-Sword downloader? Where are the modules the e-Sword downloader downloaded? Other than Strongs and the KJV stuff, I don't see any modules in program fles\e-sword

Did you install this from the e-Sword setup.exe file on this computer? Or did you copy the exe and dll files from another computer? Clearly, you're missing some registry entries. That's fixable by installing from the official e-Sword setup file at e-sword.net. The only other thing I can think of is your computer is locked down so tight with permissions that e-Sword cannot properly write to the registry and the e-Sword internal downloader lacks permissions to write to program files\e-sword?

OK, I cannot respond to everyone's recent comments but I'll try to give you details to all your questions here:

"Every module in program files\e-sword is showing in your e-Sword resources screenshot. So what's the issue"

This is lined out...does that mean ignore it? Sorry I'm not too hip on all this......
First, I cannot see what you see. In my folder x86 I see the ESV, the KJV, the KJV+, Strongs......
In the e-Sword Resources, I see none of those.
That is precisely the issue. Those elements were downloaded but do not appear in the eSword program.

****About the downloader, I did try it. It made no difference, so I deleted everything again, including the downloader and started over. The screen shots are from the current configuration.

***"Did you install this from the e-Sword setup.exe file on this computer?"

This was installed from a download yesterday directly onto this computer. Sorry to have clouded the water by saying I copied most everything (successfully) from my previous computer but DID NOT attempt to copy e-Sword...a) because I thought programs could not be copied and B) I had an older version and needed to update anyway......and c) I thought it would be EASY!......joke's on me

****"...computer is locked down so tight with permissions that e-Sword cannot properly write to the registry..." Over my head.....could be. If so, it came that way; I did not do any such "locking down" (deliberately) That sounds plausible to a computer-illiterate like me because I cannot imagine that's it's something simple......simple stuff is right up my alley.

IN CONCLUSION:

I am grateful to all who have tried to help.
I am still reading this thread in case someone has an idea.
I have also downloaded "the Word" and it looks great. I don't need much.....just an ESV text and some classic commentaries and Robertson and K&D and I'm happy.....

Thank you one and all!

#26 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I was about 3/4 down with my back last night ....

Highlight the e-sword exe file - click properties - click users - mark "full control". This is on Vista, so it may look differently on Windows 7. I hope this helps you.

First, my sympathy re your back.....am there, doing that, also.

Just checked the .exe file: full control for "everyone"

Thanks for the idea!

#27 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

You posted a screenshot earlier of your c:\program files (x86)\e-Sword folder. Close e-Sword. And this time, run e-Sword by double clicking the e-Sword application in that folder. I want to make sure the instance of e-Sword you are running is indeed the application in that e-Sword folder.

Attached Files

• Attached File  shot.jpg   58.35K   12 downloads

#28 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

yep......that's it. and all that's on it is KJV1611 (!) and TSK

#29 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have also downloaded "the Word" and it looks great. I don't need much.....just an ESV text and some classic commentaries and Robertson and K&D and I'm happy.....

You can find modules for theword here:
http://www.theword.n...dules&l=english (you will find categories at the top: bibles, dictionaries, ...)
http://www.wordmodules.com/
And here is k&d:
http://www.twmodules...-old-testament/

Edited by Raymond Barone, 21 April 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#30 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

You posted a screenshot earlier of your c:\program files (x86)\e-Sword folder. Close e-Sword. And this time, run e-Sword by double clicking the e-Sword application in that folder. I want to make sure the instance of e-Sword you are running is indeed the application in that e-Sword folder.

Check this: this is a shot of the "location" of files on e-Sword. Note that there is NO e-Sword folder listed here.....compared to what is listed on the screen shot of my actual x86 files.

Does this mean anything to you, Josh?

oh, great!....can't get the screen shot to display here......argh!

Edited by Ed Franklin, 21 April 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users