Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Your Thought on the Commentaries

Whole Bible Biblical Studies

17 replies to this topic

#11 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

I am curious whatyour thoughts on the commentaries are. What are your favorite commentaries? What is it that you like about them? What perspective are they written from - historical, devotional, exegetical, dispensational, etc? How do you use them - do you only refer to them when studying a specific text of scripture to see what the commentators have said, or do you read them from cover to cover? Thanks for your thoughts.

My favourite commentary is the Dakes Study Bible (notes)
then E.W. Bullinger's Cmt with Dict.

I prefer Cross Reference Cmt. That is why I like the Dakes.

I am making my own cmt from my study notes along with my own personal study bible and maybe a dict.

If you want to make a cmt using your study notes open the module using Tool TIp Tool. Add this to the top of your notes

#define description=Sample entry
#define abbreviation=CGEN
#define comments=Comments are entered here:
Can be multiple lines
#define version=1

÷Gen_1:1. In the beginning. These words remind us of the fact that everything human has a beginning.
÷Gen_1:2. Without form, and void. More exactly, “waste and void,” tohu wabohu. This signifies a state of wasteness and emptiness, but without implying that the earth was once perfect and then was made waste or desolate.
÷Gen_1:3. And God said. The record of each of the six creation days opens with this announcement.
Let there be light. Without light there could be no life;

thanks
Patchworkid

Edited by patchworkid, 20 December 2011 - 04:49 PM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#12 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

My favourite commentary is the Dakes Study Bible (notes)

How soon before permission to distribute the e-Sword commentary is obtained?

I am making my own cmt from my study notes along with my own personal study bible and maybe a dict.

That is one of the things I like about e-Sword. The ability to transcribe one's notes to a commentary resource for redistribution with others.

###

Anybody else notice that eStudySource is offering Commentaries for 25% off?
If you have the appropriate coupon code. ( I don't know what the coupon code is. The email didn't display that in the plain text email I read.)

I did think it odd that the Twelve days of Christmas sale ends before the first day of Christmas.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 21 December 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

I don't as such have a "favorite" commentary. I use commentaries as an aid to interpretation irrespective to the genre as I tend to think that they all have a role to play in exegeses. Also I use commentaries as a source of information in where it aids in giving a particular explanation to a passage of Scripture.

The type of commentaries I use are:
  • For exegeses in particular
    • PNT
    • RWP
    • VWS (sometimes)
  • HIstorical/Cultural
    • JNTC
Theological Dictionaries are also a good source of information, and the WordStudy Dictionary would have to be the best that e-Sword has at the moment. I'm waiting patiently for the TWOT and the TDNT.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#14 StandingFirm

StandingFirm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. I came across the idea when I was reading an article in Bible Study Magazine on Chuck Smith. In the article he is quoted "I have read practically every major commentary that has been written. Every time I go through the Bible, I try to read a new commentary." I was curious if anyone here had followed a similar plan. I have done something similar with the Preachers Commentary but not through the entire bible. For the most part I have used the commentaries in a similar fashion to those who have commented. When I start a study on a Bible book I will choose a couple of commentaries to aid me in my study. My first step is to read the book several times if possible. With books like Genesis, this is more difficult. As I read through the bible book I list what I think is the major theme of each chapter. Then I go through chapter by chapter and verse by verse. When I have completed a chapter then I will consult the commentaries for a fuller understanding. I have some fresh ideas for the use of commentaries from your comments that will aid in my studies and personal growth. May God richly bless each one here as we study the Word and serve our Master, Jesus Christ.

#15 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

A lot of my commentary use depends on what direction I am wanting to go in with my sermons. Sometimes I want a more narrative approach (like when I did the book of Job), other times, I want to focus on specific word meanings (like with the qualification of elders in Timothy and Titus). On occasion, I want to take a doctrinal/theological approach, and with that there are other commentaries that are better suited for that.

I don't know if that helps at all, but there it is.

Brad

#16 DWray

DWray

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

In 4 days I will leave for the Philippines where I grew up, to teach and preach several pastors and lay-workers training venues. I will enthusiastically recommend eSword and its voluminous reference resources. I use it daily in preparation and systematizing of my own notes for teaching and preaching, and recommend it to everyone I can. I use Dispensational resources and am convinved that Scripture -- interpreted literally, with appropriate recognition of the normal literary devices -- supports the conclusion that God has historically dealt with humanity throughout a succession of ages and according to distinct and identifiable economies. The ESword users site, www.biblesupport.com, is a veritable treasure trove of reference material, not only of a Dispensational variety -- thanks to DoctorDaveT and others, but also history and Biblical languages. What a find! Shameless plug of the "preachin-to-the-choir" variety I realize, but timely, I thought. I hope to eventually contribute some modules of my own for the availability and use of those likeminded.

Dan

#17 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

I like to compare the different commentaries I have against each other and my own after I have read a Bible book, chapter or verse (depends on what I am able to fit in to my devotional time). I also pull out my other hard copies and start to go through them as I like someof those as well. If two or three commentaries line up with what I have read and think then I'm good. If not then I reconsider what I read. And trust me with 273 commentaries to compare (yes some are in foreign languages) I have plenty to refer to.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#18 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 09 July 2022 - 04:15 PM

Like the moderator I certainly like the Bible Believer's Commentary (William MacDonald), Chuck Smith's Commentary, Kings Comments & Jon Courson's NT Commentary.  I have asked & asked for Courson's OT commentaries, but keep being told ESS await Nelsons!  Why would Nelsons not want them available to e-sword?  Makes no sense to me?

Like many I assume, I am endeavouring to hear the inspirer & interpreter, Holy Spirit speaking to me personally (revelation, encouragement, correction etc.) and seeking understanding & harmony/agreement with other related passages in scripture (especially with Jesus) for obedience. Commentaries & Dictionaries are helpful when they align with those criteria for me. But, if they are 'denominationally doctrinal' (i.e. of man rather than the Spirit) instead, then I tend to ignore them!  I have not yet read any 'cover to cover'!

Edited by Brian Mallalieu, 07 November 2022 - 10:25 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users