Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Tablet Computers

24 replies to this topic

#11 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Would a tablet be suitable for esword and other bible software programs?

A couple of years ago I saw a demo of e-Sword on a tablet. It almost convinced me to buy a tablet on the spot.

Does anyone have esword on a tablet?

The hard part is finding a tablet that runs Windows.
Best bet is probably one of the stores in China that specializes in selling pirated goods, counterfeit goods, and goods that fell off of the back of the truck.

I'd recommend the Ginzo district, but Japan is on the brink of becoming a nuclear waste land, with all inhabitants being evacuated elsewhere. (I have no idea where, and how one relocates 128,000,000 people.)

better for taking to church services and workshops etc.

If you are set on using e-Sword, consider a netbook with a touch screen. (I am assuming that Microsoft allows manufacturers to include touchscreens on netbooks. Considering the things that Microsoft prohibits manufacturers from doing, that might be a false assumption on my part.)

I also want to use it much in the same way that I use my print bible.

I've posted a couple of essays on selecting Biblical Software on my blog:

Any info on tablet computers will be appreciated.

HP is ditching tablets for US$99 each. However, you'll probably need to write the software you want, yourself. If you can program, they are well worth the money. If you have dreams of being a programmer, they probably are worthwhile.

The major operating systems in the tablet world are:
  • iOS, which is developed by Apple. IT is a closed source, proprietary operating system;
  • Android, which is developed by Google, but controlled by patent trolls. This is an open source, non-libre operating system;
Historically, the way to buy computers has been to select the applications first, then select the operating system, and finally the hardware. That way the system will have the functionality and capabilities that one needs, and requires.

Make a list of _all_ of the functions that you might want to use the tablet for. This includes functionality that you might not have in existing hardware or software.

By way of example, I use my tablet for:
  • Reading eBooks;
  • GPS navigation;
  • Personal journaling;
I had intended to use it for Bible Study. Those that pay attention to the blog posts I listed above, will understand why I don't use a tablet for serious Bible Study.

###

In terms of Android tablets, the Nook Color probably offers the most bang for the buck. The Nook Simple Touch runs a close second. The Motorola Xoom probably offers the most hardware for user exploration.

Regardless of the tablet you buy, root it, and replace the kernel with something that doesn't send all your data to Google, and other third parties that promise to be malevolent, and serve nefarious purposes only.

###

If you buy a table, get one that is wifi only, and does not have a
monthly charge from a cell phone vendor. Generic tablets are expensive
enough, that paying an additional US$500+ for one, via the cell bill, is
a good way to waste your money.

If you really want to use a tablet as your cell phone, do so, after paying very close attention to the cost of the data plan, the voice plan, the text plan, and the other charges that the cell carriers tack on.

jonathon

#12 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

http://www.buy.com/p...llerid=34865150 hp win 7

http://www.bhphotovi...Q=&O=&A=details acer win 7

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004D6R9T2

I have a 1.6 processor in my win 7 netbook and you can do a lot of little tasks waiting for e-sword to come up on if you have too many resources :-) but it is well worth the wait and it runs quite decently after it is up - suspend or sleep is nice :-)

Edited by exscentric, 13 December 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#13 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

MySword does not replace the need for good Bible study software on a PC for most of us. MySword allows you to do serious Bible study on the go when you can't be in front of a PC or a netbook. I use MySword in church, for personal devotions in the morning, for reading at night ect...

With my busy lifestyle, I often get more time with MySword then with theWord.

#14 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Tablet Computers = Computers in a pill.

Prescription: Take two a day to prevent symptoms of withdrawal from your PC or iMac.

ROFL.gif

I just couldn't resist this one.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#15 Deb

Deb

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

what ise-sword live for? Please can someone help me.
I wanted to get a small alp top or tablet to put e-sword on for my hubby just to uses in church .

Can someone help me with what I need?

#16 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

what ise-sword live for? Please can someone help me.
I wanted to get a small alp top or tablet to put e-sword on for my hubby just to uses in church .

Can someone help me with what I need?

Deb,
E Sword live was supposed to be on online version of e sword. I am not even sure if it is supported anymore, the last few times I have tried to log in it did not work and when I tried to set up a new account, I never got an email. The downside of this is that you had to have internet access to use it.

Regular E Sword runs well on small lap tops or netbooks.

If you would prefer a tablet, you would have to use another software. There are many different Bible reading/ Bible study apps for android, but the interface for MySword (www.mysword.info) is by far the best.

I hope that is helpful.

Blessings,
Peter

#17 tonymq

tonymq

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Just as was the case with phones android is taking over with tablets i have been at best buys recently and most ppl were hanging out in the android tablet section. I am sure the ESPOW tablet PC sales will show how good it is.

Posted Image

Edited by tonymq, 13 March 2012 - 02:12 AM.

#18 GeorgeLHCC

GeorgeLHCC

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hi. I have a Mecer Xslate Tablet PC that runs Win 7. Being a Windows tablet means that eSword runs like a dream. There are some difficulty, however. The latest version of eSword removes the ability to "finger scroll" (panning) through your topic notes, but the Bible versions and modules work just fine. It does take a bit longer to start up (my machine has 2Gb Ram & a 1.66Gh processor), but an important hint is to switch off the A-Z Dictionary topic list (the little book symbol on the Dictionary toolbar). Doing that will improve a slow startup by at least 50%.

#19 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yes, a tad slow I'm sure. Have a Sony Netbook duo processor of similar specs and you can get a cup of coffee while it loads with my list of resources.

Don't know if this relates - shouldn't but.... Some convertible tablets came with home premium and it does not have the full tablet stuff with it. I had a lenovo and had to upgrade a step to get the tablet end of it to work correctly, even then is wasn't all that workable as a tablet.

Does the bar work in other programs? Your post seems to indicate a prior version of e-sword worked so most of this is probably a waste of bandwidth :-)

#20 walef

walef

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Exopc is the perfect answer.
it runs E-Sword flawlessly on windows 7.

Edited by walef, 02 March 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users