Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Automate the process of creating installers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

All:

Is there is a way to automate the process of creating installers for resources?
Ideally, a shell script that puts everything in place correctly.

Asking, because around 250 Bibles for e-Sword have been dropped into my lap.

Before uploading them here, I need to do the following:
  • Copyright clearance;
  • Spell Checking;
  • Proof Reading;
  • Copy Editing;
  • Create Concordance Dictionary Resource;
If I am well enough:
  • Red Letter (Word of God, Word of Jesus, Word of the Holy Ghost);
  • Add Strong Numbers:
  • Add TVM data;
Convert and validate for:
  • Pocket e-Sword;
  • MySword;
  • TheWord;
  • e-Sword Resource Format Specification 1;
  • e-Sword Resource Format Specification 2;
###

Spell checking is a matter of running a script;

Concordance dictionary is a matter or running a script;

Red lettering is a matter of running a script, and then reading the text, to ensure that the right words were red lettered.

Strong Numbers is a little tricker. The issue is that the script doesn't know the target language, and thus makes some major errors;

The TVM script makes the same errors as the Strong Number Script. It makes assumptions that might not be accurate.

Proof Reading and Copy Editing require one have a working knowledge of the target language. For most of these Bibles I do not have the perquisite working knowledge.

###

Do any of those scripts sound useful enough to clean up and publicly release?

jonathon

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

I wrote a c++ program (dos based, no gui) that creates an Innosetup script for each file. The program also creates a batch file. You then run the batch file, which calls innosetup and the associated innosetup script and compiles each module into a self extracting exe file. I made it for myself, and it's not "user friendly" (rigid syntax) because it was only intended for my use. It's how we had all the initial uploads the Module Robot did in self extracting format. In a matter of seconds or minutes, you can create 10 or 100 or 1000 self installing modules from your base modules.

Off topic slightly, I've also perfected my innosetup script for e-Sword installation. It will read the e-Sword Resource location from the registry and not assume program files\e-sword. I'm going to replace the installer for the more popular modules like the Pulpit Commentary, etc.

Josh

#3 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hi Jonathon

I don't care much for red-lettering, and I don't think any script will be able to add Strong numbers correctly in a module in an unknown language.

Also, spell checking may be useful (if you have a dictionary for that language) but I don't spell-check modules if the text comes from a trustable source (e.g. the publisher's website).

A script, however, that allows packing file into installers in batch mode would be very welcome. :-)

Regards,

Carlos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users