Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Creating Bible Modules with Strong's Numbers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 February 2024 - 01:48 PM

StrFind = "beginning, God, created, heavan, earth"
StrRepl = "beginningH7225, GodH430, createdH1254, heavenH8064, earthH778"

Hi Higgsy,

Having looked at your code, the problem I see with it, is that it replaces all the words with just those Strong numbers only. So, for example take the word "Earth." Going by what I can see, there are two Strong numbers for that word: H776 and H127. So, reading your syntax, where the word Earth is suppose to have H127; that will have H776. That then becomes a major problem because you have a incorrect rendering of that word, Earth, in that instance or those instances. You have to resolve this problem. You can't just ignore it. See examples below:

And now art thou cursedH779 [H8803] from the earthH127 (Gen 4:11)

TheseH428 are the generationsH8435 of the heavensH8064 and of the earthH776 (Gen 2:4).

My suggestion is you pick Rick Meyers' brains on resolving this problem. And bearing this in mind, I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are on this issue.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 21 February 2024 - 01:58 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#12 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 02:20 PM

Hi Higgsy,

Having looked at your code, the problem I see with it, is that it replaces all the words with just those Strong numbers only. So, for example take the word "Earth." Going by what I can see, there are two Strong numbers for that word: H776 and H127. So, reading your syntax, where the word Earth is suppose to have H127; that will have H776. That then becomes a major problem because you have a incorrect rendering of that word, Earth, in that instance or those instances. You have to resolve this problem. You can't just ignore it. See examples below:

My suggestion is you pick Rick Meyers' brains on resolving this problem. And bearing this in mind, I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are on this issue.

Blessings,

Good points but they can worked around depending on how the find and replace strings are configured.

One thought I had was to replace phrases instead of single words as shown below:

StrFind = "beginning, God, created, heaven, earth, and of the earth"

StrRepl = "beginningH7225, GodH430, createdH1254, heavenH8064, earthH778, from the earthH127"

#13 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 02:34 PM

I am not having much luck with finding away to create bibles with Strong's Number's. 

I have tried a few macros with Open Office Writer but have had no luck, I have also checked out a number of Find and Replace software programs with no luck. 

Hopefully I will hit on something 

#14 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:02 PM

I am not having much luck with finding away to create bibles with Strong's Number's. 

I have tried a few macros with Open Office Writer but have had no luck, I have also checked out a number of Find and Replace software programs with no luck. 

Hopefully I will hit on something 

Hi Higgsy,

Remember this tip?

My suggestion is you pick Rick Meyers' brains on resolving this problem.

Now, if he has a "quick" method, I'm certain he will share it with you. It'll save you pulling your hair out (that's if you have any :D) trying to figure it out.

Remember the old adage, "You'll never know unless you give it a go." So, ask him. It won't cost you anything. Fair dinkum, mate.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#15 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 12:38 PM

Hi Higgsy,

Remember this tip?

Now, if he has a "quick" method, I'm certain he will share it with you. It'll save you pulling your hair out (that's if you have any :D) trying to figure it out.

Remember the old adage, "You'll never know unless you give it a go." So, ask him. It won't cost you anything. Fair dinkum, mate.

Blessings,

I contacted  Rick Meyers and here is his response:

"There are quite a few of these Bibles on the user group, so I suppose you could crack one open and have a look.

In His service,

Rick Meyers"

I have also emailed Josh Bond because I came across and old discussion thread on this site between him and Brent H the developer of Tooltip. Apparently Brent was working on an automated way to add Strong's numbers to bible modules and used whatever method he devised to create the AKJV bible module with Strong's. 

#16 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 05:19 AM

I contacted  Rick Meyers and here is his response:

"There are quite a few of these Bibles on the user group, so I suppose you could crack one open and have a look.

In His service,

Rick Meyers"

I have also emailed Josh Bond because I came across and old discussion thread on this site between him and Brent H the developer of Tooltip. Apparently Brent was working on an automated way to add Strong's numbers to bible modules and used whatever method he devised to create the AKJV bible module with Strong's. 

So Rick did not give you the answer you expected?

Did you get a reply from Josh?

#17 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 09:53 AM

So Rick did not give you the answer you expected?

Did you get a reply from Josh?

I have not heard from Josh and Rick's answer is what i previously post

#18 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 10:28 AM

I have not heard from Josh and Rick's answer is what i previously post

Do you think Rick misunderstood your email?

#19 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 11:53 AM

Do you think Rick misunderstood your email?

I used the contact form on esword.net to contact rick and he responded with the email above, my question was straight forward so I doubt he misunderstood

#20 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 03:56 PM

What Bible(s) do you want to add Strongs to?

Do you have a Bible with Strongs that you have permission to use to transfer to another Bible text?

There are different methods for adding Strongs that can work but any of them require looking at it line(verse) by line(verse) to correct(make sure) it is done right.

I will not go into much depth here about except offer some advise from doing such work.

Brent, I believe had the best idea that I have seen thus far in that he eliminated the more common taggings on words perhaps like the personal pronouns and perhaps other incidentals, for instant "who", "which", "that", and/or "if", etc, leaving mainly the proper nouns and verbs....perhaps adverbs and so forth.

This would greatly simplify the transfer process...what one runs into for instant even on "he/him" or "and/now/but" can be in the King James but changed in other versions...that is they can have "now" for "but" or "and"....."he/him" may have more/less entries in a given verse than King James.

iBiblia is the best software for doing this kind of work but it is designed for TheWord and I don't know if the author has any kind of stipulations about using it for another software...perhaps he could be contacted and something could be worked out.

It is possible to transfer Strongs using a computer language but it is necessary to go back through it and fix/correct any wrong taggings and add missed taggings.

Another aspect to consider is if the wording of said bible version is much different from King James, it is necessary either for the one doing this type of work to either have quick access to original language dictionaries...which by the way, iBiblia can do and it would be very helpful if such person has knowledge of Bible languages.....the more, the better.

Have you ever wondered why there aren't many Bibles with Strongs?....Hopefully now you can see the complexity.

I did a New Testament for myself (meaning it isn't perfect) and it took me about 3 to 4 months using iBiblia.

Almost anything is possible to do in regard to creating modules, the biggest problem is no one wants to get involved to help.

Why isn't there anyone stating they want to help out? Some could proof read and correct...

Some may have the ability to ocr, etc.

I see no one wanting to get involved...

It is a real pity, everyone is wanting someone else to do all the work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users