Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Creating Bible Modules with Strong's Numbers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 11:24 PM

Of all the tools available for the creation of e-Sword modules, there is one aspect that is lacking and that is the ability to create bible modules with Strong's Numbers. 

e-Sword Tooltip NT does not have the function to add Strong's Number's with relative ease while it does provide the functionality to properly format Strong's Numbers. This particular function when used formats Strong's Numbers so that when an e-Sword user mouse over the number the Strong's number in a bible module, the Strong's information appears in a Pop-Up. 

Formatting the Strong's Numbers is very important but first the numbers have to be added to the bible text which there is no simple easy to do, The only option in Tooltip is to use find and replace for each Strong's number. This means doing a find and replace such as replacing the word God with GodH430.

Tj,

Having used UniqueBible by Eliran Wong, I believe that he creates e-Sword modules with added Strong's numbers by approaching the problem from a different direction.  My greatly over-simplified explanation of how this method appears to work is:

Decide which Greek and/or Hebrew your Bible version will be based on.

Create a database index in numerical order for each Greek and/or Hebrew word, starting in Genesis 1 and/or Matthew 1 as entry 000001.

Add the correct Strong's Number to the database as a record for each Greek and/or Hebrew word indexed.

Finally add the English language translation as another record for each Greek and/or Hebrew word indexed.

Take for example a database starting with Matthew 1:1.  The Index and records would start out looking something like this:

000001    Βίβλος   G976   [The] book

000002    γενέσεως  G1078    of [the] genealogy

000003    Ἰησοῦ   G2424   of Jesus

000004    Χριστοῦ   G5547     Christ

The numerical index doesn't change.  The Greek word order doesn't change.  The Strong's numbers don't change.  The only thing that really changes is your English translation.  You don't need to completely re-invent the wheel as you can reuse open source data that is already out on the Internet.  You may choose to combine some Strong's numbers to make better sense in English, for example the word "throughout" in the verse below has both H5704 and H7097 Strong's numbers:

Psa 46:9  He brings an end to H7673 wars H4421 throughout H5704 H7097 the earth H776; he shatters H7665 the bow H7198 and breaks H7112 the spear H2595; he burns H8313 the shields with fire H784. 

The programs that you can use to manipulate the data could vary.  Notepad++ is quite powerful and accepts regex expressions.  Microsoft Excel with .csv files may be useful.  Probably want to finish the module using DB Browser for SQLite

I'm not saying that any of this is easy or fast, or that I'm an expert.  I'm just saying that if you want to get to the finish line, this may be a way to go about it.

ElderB

#22 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:18 AM

Tj,

Having used UniqueBible by Eliran Wong, I believe that he creates e-Sword modules with added Strong's numbers by approaching the problem from a different direction.  My greatly over-simplified explanation of how this method appears to work is:

Decide which Greek and/or Hebrew your Bible version will be based on.

Create a database index in numerical order for each Greek and/or Hebrew word, starting in Genesis 1 and/or Matthew 1 as entry 000001.

Add the correct Strong's Number to the database as a record for each Greek and/or Hebrew word indexed.

Finally add the English language translation as another record for each Greek and/or Hebrew word indexed.

Take for example a database starting with Matthew 1:1.  The Index and records would start out looking something like this:

000001    Βίβλος   G976   [The] book

000002    γενέσεως  G1078    of [the] genealogy

000003    Ἰησοῦ   G2424   of Jesus

000004    Χριστοῦ   G5547     Christ

The numerical index doesn't change.  The Greek word order doesn't change.  The Strong's numbers don't change.  The only thing that really changes is your English translation.  You don't need to completely re-invent the wheel as you can reuse open source data that is already out on the Internet.  You may choose to combine some Strong's numbers to make better sense in English, for example the word "throughout" in the verse below has both H5704 and H7097 Strong's numbers:

Psa 46:9  He brings an end to H7673 wars H4421 throughout H5704 H7097 the earth H776; he shatters H7665 the bow H7198 and breaks H7112 the spear H2595; he burns H8313 the shields with fire H784. 

The programs that you can use to manipulate the data could vary.  Notepad++ is quite powerful and accepts regex expressions.  Microsoft Excel with .csv files may be useful.  Probably want to finish the module using DB Browser for SQLite

I'm not saying that any of this is easy or fast, or that I'm an expert.  I'm just saying that if you want to get to the finish line, this may be a way to go about it.

ElderB

I have looked and Eliran's e-Sword modules using DB Browser but they are not set up the way you outlined. 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 15 March 2024 - 02:34 PM.

#23 ElderB

ElderB

e-Sword Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 05:27 PM

I have looked and Eliran's e-Sword modules using DB Browser but they are not set up the way you outlined. 

Sorry Tj, I meant to write modules or UniqueBible modules, not e-Sword modules.  I don't think Eliran Wong has made any e-Sword modules in a long time.  A lot of his tools and resources are available at:  https://github.com/e...b=repositories 

His UniqueBible Bible modules can also be viewed using DB Browser for SQLite, but they do have quite a number of structural differences when compared to an e-Sword Bible module.

ElderB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users