Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Module Installer (for non-technical users)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

One of the biggest support burdens in running a site of this size is answering questions about installing modules. Our library of modules contains some self installing modules which work great. But many downloads are not self installing. And some users have difficulty copying the modules to the correct e-Sword folder.

Special thanks to Brent Hildebrand for help with the installation file, which was was more trouble than the application itself. And special thanks to Doctor Dave for beta testing. (This application is verified to work on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista 64, Windows 7-32/64 and may work on older operating systems.)

The e-Sword Module Installer automatically copies your e-Sword module to your e-Sword Resource Folder on your Windows PC.

Step 1:
Download and install the Module Installer: http://www.biblesupp...dule-installer/

Step 2:
You can install modules from Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, or Firefox.

Option A - Double Click the file in Windows Explorer
You can now double-click any e-Sword module you downloaded in Windows Explorer. Notice your e-Sword modules now have an e-Sword icon beside them:

Posted Image

(If the Module Installer asks you for Administrator permissions, click "Yes".)

For a non-editable module, the Module Installer shows this screen (don't worry, all you have to do is click "OK").

Posted Image

For an editable module, the Module Installer shows this screen (don't worry, all you have to do is click "OK").

Posted Image

Zip files
If you downloaded a zip file: double-click the zip file (or open it while you download the file, as shown below). When the zip file opens, double-click the e-Sword module to launch the installer.

Option B - Installing directly from Internet Explorer
You can install a module without leaving Internet Explorer! After starting your download in Internet Explorer 9, click Open in the popup at the bottom of the screen. This will launch the Module Installer when the download finishes.

Posted Image

Option C - Installing directly from Firefox
You can install a module without leaving Firefox! After starting your download in FireFox, the download popup below will appear. Click the "Open with" option and click "OK". This will launch the Module Installer when the download finishes.

Posted Image

Click here to view the articles

#2 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Josh - very nice app. All eSword newbies and novice computer users should install this thing as their next download. You should give it a prominent place on the front page (right under the link to DoctorDaveT....)

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#3 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

(right under the link to DoctorDaveT....)

:) :wub: :rolleyes: :D :lol:

#4 JesusLives

JesusLives

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

This works great! What module types are supported? Every one I tried worked flawlessly. I love how eSword modules have the little esword logo now!

I will install this on my mother in law's computer so she want call me about installing modules :lol:

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

This works great! What module types are supported? Every one I tried worked flawlessly. I love how eSword modules have the little esword logo now!

I will install this on my mother in law's computer so she want call me about installing modules :lol:

Haha, anything to stay off the phone with the mother in law... :P

The app recognizes every resource that BibleSupport.com distributes. There's a few other resource types but no one realistically distributes them. The supported resource types are:

Commentaries - cmtx
Dictionaries - dctx
Bibles - bblx
Topics - topx
Harmonies - harx
Graphics - mapx
Reference Library -refx
Devotionals - devx

Scripture Memory - memx
Study Notes - notx
Bible Reading Plans - brpx
Journal Notes - jnlx
Verse Lists - lstx

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Haha, anything to stay off the phone with the mother in law...

Hi Josh,
Well mate, I have to admit, you certainly know how to get people to stay away from their mother-in-laws :P

Anyway, I downloaded the this what seems to be a neat little tool, I'm gonna have me a good look at it see just how gooderer job you did to it. I'll give my, ummm, errr, unbiased :D review of it.

If my guess is correct about it, and if its as good as the rants thus far says about it, then mate, I just might have to add it to my second e-Sword CD (which goes with the first e-Sword CD (there is a two e-Sword CD set I give away).

Well, that's it from me. Have yourself a good one.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#7 JesusLives

JesusLives

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

A suggestion, if its possible for the installer to figure out where e-sword reads the modules from instead of assuming the c:\program files\e-sword folder.

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

I like that idea. I probably should have done it that way from the beginning. My assumption was this utility is for non-technical users who wouldn't have changed the resource folder in Options>Resources to begin with.

It's easy enough to do. e-Sword stores the resource location in the registry key: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VB and VBA Program Settings\e-Sword\Settings\Resources Path". So I can just read that location and make the default install path equal to that. The new screen would like this:

Attached File  new-ui.png   51.41K   1 downloads

There's no longer any need to have the my documents option on this screen (this is the screen shown for non-editable resources). If we know the resource folder e-Sword reads from, there's little sense in installing the module anywhere else. I guess I'll leave the Custom Location field on the screen (although no one should be installing the resource anywhere other than the resource folder location, else the resource won't appear).

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

Alright, new version 0.3 here: http://www.biblesupp...dule-installer/

It now detects your e-Sword Resource folder automatically.

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

There are 2 folders that the installer should be aware of. The "Resources Path", and the "Reading Folder". The "Resources Path" is where BBLX, CMTX, DCTX, MAPX, REFX type files would go. They are not user editable. The "Reading Folder" is for things such as NOTX, LSTX, JNLX type files, where users add data to the files. TOPX files are a swing file and can be in either. If TOPX files are in the "Resources Path" folder, then edits are not saved (Windows Vista/7 but not XP). The Modules Installer may want to automagically put files in the appropriate folder, with the option to change the destination if desired by the end user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users