Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Arabic bibles and viewing the text right to left

6 replies to this topic

#1 oatmealman

oatmealman

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 03:09 PM

Hello everyone.
Using Simple Bible Reader, I converted an Arabic dialect bible into e-Sword format. It imports correctly, but it displays the bible text in an incorrect manner. The problem that I see is that e-Sword is treating it as a left-to-right language but it should be displayed right-to-left. The Arabic SVD bible I downloaded from the built in repository works correctly, so I am wondering how I can modify the bible file I created to tell e-Sword to display it right-to-left. I looked through every part of options/settings and don't see a way to do it from the application itself.
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 February 2024 - 04:39 PM

Hello everyone.
Using Simple Bible Reader, I converted an Arabic dialect bible into e-Sword format. It imports correctly, but it displays the bible text in an incorrect manner. The problem that I see is that e-Sword is treating it as a left-to-right language but it should be displayed right-to-left. The Arabic SVD bible I downloaded from the built in repository works correctly, so I am wondering how I can modify the bible file I created to tell e-Sword to display it right-to-left. I looked through every part of options/settings and don't see a way to do it from the application itself.
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

See video below for the fix.

Trust you find this video helpful.

Notice that this is Take #2 of the original video, which I have taken down and deleted. I've also taken the care to explain and show what the cause was for the lack audio in the 1st video.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 07 February 2024 - 05:19 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 06 February 2024 - 07:56 PM

Good day to you, Stephen (also known as APsit190), is your audio "on" for this video? Please view it from this website and check that you can hear your reply. 
https://www.youtube....h?v=djTM4YvUcsA

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 06 February 2024 - 08:16 PM.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 05:39 PM

Good day to you, Stephen (also known as APsit190), is your audio "on" for this video? Please view it from this website and check that you can hear your reply. 
https://www.youtube....h?v=djTM4YvUcsA

Fixed

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 February 2024 - 02:58 AM

Hello Apsit190,
Thanks for Take 2 of explaining how to make an e-Sword file read from right to left.
You forgot to remind the user to remember to Save the file, after the change had been entered, before exiting. I found both of your lifes were still listed on your website.

https:  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=djTM4YvUcsA 

That was take 1 Arabic bibles and viewing text Right to Left.

https:  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp6QjKBLaDY 

This is "Making e-Sword Read Right to Left Take 2"

You have blocked the option of me being able to converse with you by use of the Bible Support > Messenger > Composing message option. Thus I ask my question in public. I was looking at what you did on the screen in Take 1, and so I describe in words what I could seee you do, with the pointer moving on screen, to explain audibly what you did in that video lesson.
------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: In the option, Take 2, you did not select the Bible module that you are going to work on. You immedialtey went to "Browse Data".
SUGGESTION: When you open the SQLite database file, Show how you select the existing e-Sword XXXXX.bblx module. Thank you for noticing you needed to open a file, before being able to Browse Data inside the file. Is this just applicable to the first row, for the first verse of the first chapter of the first book inside the Bible? .
Please talk your way though every step that you take. Somehow you moved your pointer somewhere, and did something, which you forgot to describe aloud in English words. The webpage did not show which module you had accessed.

File = select the Arabic.bblx or the Arabic.bbli file
There are three options, Database Structure, Browse Data, and Execute SQL.

Select the option to “Browse Data”.
Then in the “Table:” option you will see that there are various Tables, such as “Bible”, “Details”, and “sqlite_license”.
You explain that user must select “Table” and in the drop-down combo-box, then Select “Details” option.

IN TAKE ONE you showed that you selected a e-Sword module, and that this opened up table 1 in the file that you had opened.
Hebrew New Testament (Dalman-Delitzsch)

Example: Schema CREATE TABLE Details (Title NVARCHAR(100), Abbreviation NVARCHAR(50), Information TEXT, Version INT, OldTestament BOOL, NewTestament BOOL, Apocrypha BOOL, Strongs BOOL, RightToLeft BOOL)

QUESTION - When you go to Browse Data, is this a global change for every version of the almost 8000 entries? or must this change be entered on each and every row?

Select the option "Browse Data"

You will see Table = Bible
with Book, Chapter, Verse, Scripture.
These are listed in numerical order.

Go to Table, and notice there are various options: such as Bible, Details, and sqlite_license. Select the "Details" option.

This will now show the file that you have selected, in your example it is the Hebrew New Testament (Dalman-Delitzsch)

Notice that there are headings for the columns:
Title, Abbreviation, Information, Version, OldTestament, NewTestament, Apocrypha, Strongs, RightToLeft

To edit the database, you will need to select the content of the RightToLeft column, and enter the numeric "1" in the RightToLeft Filter option, which will then apply to the content of this column.

A Pop-up will be displayed to allow you to edit the Database cell. This is in Text Mode. Type of data currently in cell, is of "Text/Numeric", and the length of characters is "1 character(s)".

QUESTION: Does this have to be done in every entry, or is this a global change for the whole global content which will then apply to all the cells of all the verses for all the entries in the tables in the whole database? What causes the SQLite to ripple the effect to all entries?

QUESTION: Does this change have to be done separately for each verse, and for every verse, of every section of the e-Sword module table, for the OT, and for the NT, and the Apocrypha, depending on which has been provided in the Arabic Bible? Or is this a global change to the structure of the whole content of the database, on all rows of the database?

QUESTION: What is the meaning of "Version" number? Does this refer to creating a "bblx", in RTF formatting, or to creating a "bblx" in HTML formatting, or to creating a "bbli" in HTML formatting for the e-Sword module which will then be created from the content of the SQLite database file?

Then select the option to "Apply" at the bottom right corner.

APsit190, you forgot to tell the person to:
Then remember to select the option to "Write Changes", which will Write changes to the dabase file.

QUESTION: Does one have to Execute SQLite?

QUESTION: Does the user then have to "Save Project" or "Close Database", becore accessing this with e-Sword?

I ask, because I have not experimented myself. Your TAKE TWO just did not explain yourself fully and you just ended your lesson in the middle of the lesson, without explaining how to save and close the module..

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 08 February 2024 - 03:06 AM.

#6 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:33 AM

Hi oatmealman,
Did you know that in e-Sword Downloads, under Bibles, Arabic, Rick Meyers has provided for Free,
the Arabic Biblica Open New Version [Arabic ONV}, Copyright 1988, 1997,2012 by Biblica, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission. as at 2022-11-29.
Also Arabic Smith and Van Dyke Bible [Arabic SVD], Published in 1865, public domain.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 08 February 2024 - 09:34 AM.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 04:35 PM

Olaf,

I can't be bothered answering your irrelevant questions which have nothing to do with the topic.

If you want the kind of information then I suggest you take the time to learn how to use a DBMS such as SQLite.

I've uploaded documentation about how e-Sword reads Database files, which covers some of the question you ask

Edited by APsit190, 08 February 2024 - 04:40 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users