Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Copy and Paste into Word including text formatting.

12 replies to this topic

#1 elkillian

elkillian

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:53 AM

I have been an avid user of esword for many years. In the last year or so, I have seen a problem that I cannot resolve. When I want to copy and paste verses into my Word document, I highlight the verses I want and then I right click and click on copy verses. The dialog box pops up, I have the (Including text formatting checked) I also have the #6 formatting bubble checked. This is what I have chosen for years. I then click the copy button and tab over to my word document and often when I right click for the past option to come up, it does not allow me to paste except just the words, no formatting. Occasionally or when I first start esword and I right click in my word document I have three options for pasting to choose from, when I chose the first one it copies the verses with formatting. After a time or two, it will only give me one option on pasting and that is without formatting. I have tried clearing the clipboard, that did not work. I have tried closing down word and reopening it and that did not work. The only thing that I have found that works is if I close down esword and reopen it, then it will work for a few times then the same problem exist. Any suggestion on how I can fix this?

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 12:23 PM

Contact the developer of e-Sword

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 02:12 PM

I have been an avid user of esword for many years. In the last year or so, I have seen a problem that I cannot resolve. When I want to copy and paste verses into my Word document, I highlight the verses I want and then I right click and click on copy verses. The dialog box pops up, I have the (Including text formatting checked) I also have the #6 formatting bubble checked. This is what I have chosen for years. I then click the copy button and tab over to my word document and often when I right click for the past option to come up, it does not allow me to paste except just the words, no formatting. Occasionally or when I first start esword and I right click in my word document I have three options for pasting to choose from, when I chose the first one it copies the verses with formatting. After a time or two, it will only give me one option on pasting and that is without formatting. I have tried clearing the clipboard, that did not work. I have tried closing down word and reopening it and that did not work. The only thing that I have found that works is if I close down esword and reopen it, then it will work for a few times then the same problem exist. Any suggestion on how I can fix this?

When copying verses highlight the verses and then right click then click copy not paste, you only need to click paste when your are pasiting the verses into Word

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 02:32 AM

@Tj Higgins It is just an error where you think one word and type another, so for "paste" read "copy". (better still let me fix it)

@elkillian said they had been doing the copy paste for years without issue, so it isn't user error.

@Tj Higgins, now respond to the original post.

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:33 AM

@Tj Higgins It is just an error where you think one word and type another, so for "paste" read "copy". (better still let me fix it)

@elkillian said they had been doing the copy paste for years without issue, so it isn't user error.

@Tj Higgins, now respond to the original post.

When you highlight bible verses in e-Sword and then right click you get two copy options one is called "Copy Verses" and the other is called "Copy". Depending on which option a users choose the paste results are different when pasting into MS-Word or any other word processor. This is what the original poster was asking about in his post.

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 01:23 PM

I highlight the verses I want and then I right click and click on copy verses. 
The dialog box pops up, I have the (Including text formatting checked) 
I also have the #6 formatting bubble checked. This is what I have chosen for years

Clearly he was using the Copy verses dialog and knew what he was doing. So his question that none of us can solve is why does it not always paste into Word with formatting.

He continues

I then click the copy button and tab over to my word document and often when I right click for the past option to come up, it does not allow me to paste except just the words, no formatting. Occasionally or when I first start esword and I right click in my word document I have three options for pasting to choose from, when I chose the first one it copies the verses with formatting.
After a time or two, it will only give me one option on pasting and that is without formatting.
I have tried clearing the clipboard, that did not work.
I have tried closing down word and reopening it and that did not work.
The only thing that I have found that works is if I close down esword and reopen it, then it will work for a few times then the same problem exist.
Any suggestion on how I can fix this?

Any suggestion on how he can fix this?

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 02:15 PM

Clearly he was using the Copy verses dialog and knew what he was doing. So his question that none of us can solve is why does it not always paste into Word with formatting.

He continues

Any suggestion on how he can fix this?

My original suggestion was and still is to use "Copy" instead of "Copy Verses" to avoid the problem 

It sounds to me like the issue might be on the MS-Word side of things so perhaps one suggestion would for be for him to upgrade to a new version of MS-Word

In my case I use Apache Open Office and have never encountered the issue presented in this post. 

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:06 PM

My original suggestion was and still is to use "Copy" instead of "Copy Verses" to avoid the problem 

It sounds to me like the issue might be on the MS-Word side of things so perhaps one suggestion would for be for him to upgrade to a new version of MS-Word

In my case I use Apache Open Office and have never encountered the issue presented in this post. 

Likewise, except I use the sister of OpenOffice - LibreOffice, and/or WordPerfect, and as such haven't encountered those problems either with Copy/Paste or with Copy Verses.

I think for us to be able to resolve the issue, the best thing he can do is do a screen recording or create a step by step list of his actions so we can see what's happening.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 rictrician

rictrician

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMountain View Arkansas (USA)

Posted 08 October 2022 - 12:38 AM

I just tried it in mine and it did okay. I have windows 10 word student 2007. But I do not do upates on windows, so it might be a micorsoft update. They have been known to break things. Good luck, looking forward to a solution.

Dead in Christ ricky j younger

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:09 PM

I just tried it in mine and it did okay. I have windows 10 word student 2007. But I do not do upates on windows, so it might be a micorsoft update. They have been known to break things. Good luck, looking forward to a solution.

Interesting you saying that, because like you, I also have Windows 10, however mine is automatically updated and have had no issue with e-Sword in its operation. Where errors have occurred were of my own doing, or something with was locally attributed to my machine. Universal issues with e-Sword on my machine only happened when we were using the MS Access Database System. Ever since e-Sword Version 9x and the use of SQLite Database System, I've had no issues at all.

Copy and Paste issues on my side of the fence was pretty much non existent.

With all of that said, if Rick Meyers decides to give e-Sword a major overhaul and use WPF forms instead of the x86 Windows Forms, will be interesting, mainly because my Graphics Card will think its a game. Not kidding. That happens when I load LibreOffice Writer. See Video Below:

Crazy, hey!

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 08 October 2022 - 04:19 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users