Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Typo in Gen.1:11 KJV?

14 replies to this topic

#11 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 11:35 PM

biblegateway.com has 2 official editions of the KJV: (not counting the KJ21 and Webster).

1) KJV based on the the 1987 printing that is in verse per line format. (KJV)
But lacks italics. I think that it is an Oxford edition.

2) Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV) in paragraph format and poetic layout
by the Cambridge University Press.

Both editions using British spelling.
Some differences between both editions in biblegateway.com:

("him" and "Thou" are singular)
Mark 15:2 unto them, Thou (KJV)
Mark 15:2  unto him, Thou (AKJV)

Job 39:16 not her's (KJV)
Job 39:16 not hers (AKJV)

Jer 5:19 your's (KJV)
Jer 5:19 yours (AKJV)

Est 4:11 man or women (KJV)
Est 4:11 man or woman (AKJV)

1Ch 14:10 ? And wilt (KJV)
1Ch 14:10 ? and wilt (AKJV)

1Ki 15:2 Jerusalem. and (KJV)
1Ki 15:2 Jerusalem. And (AKJV)

Gen 16:6 thine hand (KJV)
Gen 16:6 thy hand (AKJV)

Jer 34:16 whom he had (KJV)
Jer 34:16 whom ye had (AKJV)

2Ch 33:19 sins (KJV)
2Ch 33:19 sin (AKJV)

Nah 3:16 fleeth (KJV)
Nah 3:16 flieth (AKJV)

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#12 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 July 2023 - 06:55 AM

Dear APsit190, in response to your review, posted 2023-07-25 03:28 AM, 

Just because Stone Engelbrite used the abbreviation AKJV for his home-made American KJV, which is NOT copyrighted, this does not means that "AKJV" is the way that the abbreviation is used by Bible Gateway and the publishers in England. 
If you select [click on] the links I provided, and read their content, 
then you will see the details of the copyright details, as used by Bible Gateway, for their Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV) from the Publisher: Cambridge University Press

If you hover your pointer over the AKJV you loaded into your PC from Bible Support, you ought to see that this refers to an American KJV, and not to the Authorized KJV. The American version you have was probably loaded from one of the following entries at Bible Support:
[1] American King James Version (AKJV) (1999) 1.0 
with options [1] American King James Version (AKJV) (1999).bblx and [2] american_king_james_version_akjv_1999.bbli
[2] American King James Version - Red Letter Edition - AKJV 2.01
with options [1] AKJV-Red Letter.exe and [2] iPad AKJV.zip
[3] American King James Version with Strong's Numbers 2.00
with options [1] AJKV-Red Letter SN2 Source RTF File.zip and [2] AKJV+ BBLX-2.zip and [3] akjv+BBLI-2.zip
[NOTE: This used Josh Bond's King James with Strong's Numbers 1.0 based on the 1769 King James (AV) Text tagged with Strong's numbers. 
which provided option [1] kjvplus.bbli and [2] KJVplus.bblx ]

Kind regards, Olaf Bacon. 2023-07-25.

Well Olaf, here's the thing. When it comes to the KJV Bible itself, as in a hard copy, guess what?! You will never in all your life find an AKJV Bible. Seriously, you won't. At all! Never at all. Why, well mate, its because there's none of them floating around.

Now, the official, as in the official publisher of the KJV, is Cambridge University, and one thing I do know, they don't have what is termed as the "Authorized King James Version." It just the King James Version, and that's it.

So, where the Authorized bit came into it, I have no idea. That said, the KJV is also referred to as the AV, but that's not official. And so it would seem to be true with the purported AKJV. Not only that, but also with the Oxford University Press publication of the the KJV, you just won't find an Authorized King James Version thingy. Therefore the A in the KJV is a bit of a nothing burger, when all is said and done. I reckon that some half baked dribbler thought it would be neat to have an A added to the KJV acronym just to confuse everyone, and make them believe that there is such a thing, when there isn't.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php I:21).

X (formerly Twitter)

#13 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 July 2023 - 10:24 PM

Hello Stephen (also known as APsit190), Your research and knowledge of the history of the Bible has some gaps. Here is further information of the Holy Bible that clearly tells us that it was Authorised, both by the King, and by the Parliament in England, to be read in churches. The Papacy in Rome still want to control the content of all Bibles which are provided to the rest of the world. As clearly explained in the Preface by the Translators to the Reader, which is printed together with the table of Contents, at the beginning of the Holy Bible, for centuries the papacy and their agents have severely restricted their own people, and anyone they could get their hands on, from owning, reading, studying, and implementing what they had learned directly from God during their personal Bible Study, and have sought to destroy their copy, which they have obtained at the cost of many human lives, of a copy in English of the Scriptures according to the original Received Texts.

Here is some information you have evidently overlooked.

The link is https://www.cambridge.org/bibles/bible-versions/king-james-version/text-editions/authorised-version-english-bible-1611
The name of the set of 5 books is: The Authorised Version of the English Bible 1611

The King James Version of the Bible was first published in 1611. Its literary brilliance is well known and its words and phrases have had a unique influence on the English language. Four hundred years on it is still widely used, and is the version of choice for ceremionial Bibles — for example, it is the King James Bible which will be used in King Charles' Coronation ceremony.
There were two printings in 1611, both carried out by Robert Barker, the King's Printer of the day. The first contained a number of errors which were corrected in the second printing, so even the two earliest editions contain many variations.
Most of today's KJV Bibles use a text with hundreds of small changes introduced by editors and printers in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries - some accidentally, some intentionally. The text commonly available now is actually that of the 1769 revision, not that of 1611.
In 1909, Cambridge scholar William Aldis Wright represented the original text of the first edition in a clear and readable form, together with a list of variations between the two 1611 printings.
Cambridge has reissued that edition as part of its digital reprint programme for classic and previously out-of-print books.

• standard book paper
  • marginal notes
  • list of variations between the two 1611 printings
  • Translators' Preface

https://www.cambridge.org/bibles/all-titles/authorised-version-english-bible-1611-volume-1?format=PB
Volume 1 is Genesis to Deuteronomy
https://www.cambridge.org/bibles/all-titles/authorised-version-english-bible-1611-volume-2?format=PB
Volume 2 is Joshua to Esther
https://www.cambridge.org/za/bibles/all-titles/authorised-version-english-bible-1611-volume-3
Volume 3 is Job to Malachi
https://www.cambridge.org/za/bibles/all-titles/authorised-version-english-bible-1611-volume-4
Volume 4 is Apocrypha
https://www.cambridge.org/za/bibles/all-titles/authorised-version-english-bible-1611-volume-5
Volume 5 is The New Testament
The language of the Authorised Version is doctrinally better than the 1769 edition, which introduced changes which were made before the editor decided that he really needed to enrol at university to actually study Hebrew and get a degree in Biblical languages, which he did after 1769.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 25 July 2023 - 10:43 PM.

#14 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 July 2023 - 11:40 PM

Olaf,

I never argued over the word "Authorized," as never being used. It is the acronym, AKJV itself, or the Title of the King James Bible being or has been the Authorized King James Version or seen the acronym AKJV on any publication of the King James Bible on the spleen or the front cover. They don't historically exist. On every King James Bible, the front cover just has/had "Holy Bible," and on the spleen, it had just KJV, or Holy Bible KJV. That's it.

Now, if you can produce or show a hard copy published by either Cambridge University Press, or Oxford University Press of such a Bible titled as "Authorized King James Version on the Cover, and AKJV on the spleen, then I'll be more than willing to eat humble pie, and stand corrected on what I shared, and proclaim the Springboks as the greatest rugby team in the world. Now, being a Kiwi, that's really going extreme, and then I'd also know I'm lying through my eye teeth, because we all know that the All Blacks are.

OK, now I'm in heaps of trouble. Right up to my neck in it.ROFL.gif

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#15 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 06:54 AM

I prefer the Americanized spelling rather than the Brit spelling, mostly because it makes more sense, despite the fact that here in Kiwi-Land we use Brit spelling  as our default method.

I like bucking the system.

Blessings,

Americanized:
2 Timothy 3:17 (AKJV)
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works.

KJV:
2Timothy 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 

There is a difference between 'thoroughly' and 'throughly'; which makes more sense?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users