Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

I can't figure out how to edit a Topic Notes in Topic Notes Editor

9 replies to this topic

#1 AveMaria02

AveMaria02

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hey everyone. As all of you know, E-Sword has three editors within the program itself, one of which is for Topic Notes. Well, i am wanting to edit one of my Topic Notes but I have no idea how to do so because every single one of the buttons for the Topic Notes editor is grayed out. How do I fix this?

#2 AveMaria02

AveMaria02

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hmmm, wait. I think I am trying to edit a Dictionary File (DCTX). Now I am so confused.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hey everyone. As all of you know, E-Sword has three editors within the program itself, one of which is for Topic Notes. Well, i am wanting to edit one of my Topic Notes but I have no idea how to do so because every single one of the buttons for the Topic Notes editor is grayed out. How do I fix this?

You need to click a new topic, and the editor icons will not be greyed out. Click where the red box is below and enter a topic title. The buttons will return to normal.

Attached File  e-sword-topic.png   19.92K   52 downloads

The author of e-Sword says this is not a bug, technically speaking, that it's intended behavior. But it's a huge usability issue, or people wouldn't be asking every week. :)

Josh

#4 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Not a bug; intended behavior...

...like intentionally letting spiders loose in your house. "I did that on purpose. It technically isn't a bug; it's an arachnid." Who does that on purpose?! I've complained about this from day one when eS10 was first released. I got "slapped down," even from surprising people....

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Not a bug; intended behavior...

...like intentionally letting spiders loose in your house. "I did that on purpose. It technically isn't a bug; it's an arachnid." Who does that on purpose?! I've complained about this from day one when eS10 was first released. I got "slapped down," even from surprising people....

Yes sir, I do remember your complaint the day the first non-beta release came out for 10.

I will admit, you were righter than I thought. I have fielded this question countless times. I've even done it myself a few times--there's more than one way this issue can happen. One way is if you move the topic note file you were last editing in e-Sword, and restart e-Sword, e-Sword grays out the whole topic editor. :)

#6 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yep. Turn your .topx into a .refx, and then move/remove/delete the .topx file, and the Topic Editor does not like what you've done. Memo to Rick: it shouldn't work this way....

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#7 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

I wonder if Brother Rick would reconsider and make some changes in the next release. Yes, there are a few things that would make life easier if they were fixed.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#8 AveMaria02

AveMaria02

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

You need to click a new topic, and the editor icons will not be greyed out. Click where the red box is below and enter a topic title. The buttons will return to normal.

attachicon.gife-sword-topic.png

The author of e-Sword says this is not a bug, technically speaking, that it's intended behavior. But it's a huge usability issue, or people wouldn't be asking every week. :)

Josh

But that simply creates a new and blank topic file. I'm not wanting to do that. I am wanting to edit an existing topic file. Is there no way to do that?

Edited by AveMaria02, 18 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

But that simply creates a new and blank topic file. I'm not wanting to do that. I am wanting to edit an existing topic file. Is there no way to do that?

Yeah, you can edit a file. Open the file to edit (CTRL-Right click, Open). And create a new topic or edit an existing one, using the toolbar icons.

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

Yep. Turn your .topx into a .refx, and then move/remove/delete the .topx file, and the Topic Editor does not like what you've done. Memo to Rick: it shouldn't work this way....

FYI: This was finally fixed in 10.2.1.

Also when you make a REFX file now, e-Sword prompts you for the file location to save it. That's a user friendly improvement too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users