Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Format for a hyperlink to a note in a Notes table within .bbli

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 agsper652

agsper652

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:17 PM

The ESV+.bblx module has notes contained within a Notes table.  Within the Bible table a note such as N1 will link to the corresponding note in the Notes table when one mouseovers the N1 in the Bible text.

I would like to do the same in a custom .bbli module.  The ESV+.bblx module is scrambled so I cannot see how they did it.

I have tried <not>N1</not> and that does not work.  I am guessing that some hyperlink in my bbli module such as <a href="..."><not>N1</not></a> might work, but I don't know what to put in the place of ... so that it links to the proper note in the Notes table within my .bbli module.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:23 PM

The ESV+.bblx module has notes contained within a Notes table.  Within the Bible table a note such as N1 will link to the corresponding note in the Notes table when one mouseovers the N1 in the Bible text.

I would like to do the same in a custom .bbli module.  The ESV+.bblx module is scrambled so I cannot see how they did it.

I have tried <not>N1</not> and that does not work.  I am guessing that some hyperlink in my bbli module such as <a href="..."><not>N1</not></a> might work, but I don't know what to put in the place of ... so that it links to the proper note in the Notes table within my .bbli module.

You need to use an SQL database program to create the notes table which is where you will put all of the notes information  The table will consist of five columns and as a many rows as you need for your notes. Each note will have a row in the notes table containing three numbers, a note identifier and the text of the note.

The three numbers in each row identify the book, chapter and verse which will have the pop-up note, the identifier such as N1. The text for each note is formatted as show below:

<RF>While the rest of chapter 1 uses ordinal numbers (eg. second, third, fourth, etc.) verse 5 actually uses the Hebrew word (ech 'ad), which is the cardinal number one. This is different from the ordinal number meaning "first" which is represented by the Hebrew word (rish'on). Thus it literally reads, "one day" and not "the first day." <Rf> 

The only thing you need to add the text of the verse in the verses table is <not>N1</not>, when the bible is open in e-Sword moving the mouse over the N1 will cause the note to display in what is called a "Pop-up".  

I previously posted all of the information on how to do this here:

http://www.biblesupp...tes +in +bibles

Edited by Tj Higgins, 21 February 2024 - 05:29 PM.

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:34 PM

No need for the <RF> <Rf> tags, they are used in a theWord Bible module not here.

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:44 PM

No need for the <RF> <Rf> tags, they are used in a theWord Bible module not here.

I used them in the WEB Bible modules with Pop-Up Notes that I created and uploaded here, and yes they do work in e-Sword other wise the note text will not appear in the Pop-Up 

#5 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:45 PM

They work without it I have just confirmed with my own test module

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:47 PM

They work without it I have just confirmed with my own test module

That I was not aware of you can use html tags to add things such as Bold, italics or Underline to note text 

Did you test your module in the Android, Apple or MAC versions of e-Sword because those versions do need the <RF> tags I believe? 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 21 February 2024 - 05:50 PM.

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:01 PM

Book|Chapter|Verse|ID|Note
1|1|1|N1|This is a simple note. <br><b><font color=red>This is the second line of the note</font></b>
1|1|2|N1|This is a fake nonsense note on verse 2 of Genesis 1<br><font color=#6495ED>σκοτος</font> <font color=#9753DB>G4655</font> <b>N-NSN</b>
1|1|2|N2|This is a nonsense note number N2 about nothing. Just a test.
1|1|6|N1|Test on Genesis 1:6 note N1

Example: plain text file called Notes.csv it can be imported into an existing Bible using DB Browser. Then just add the <not>N1</not> at the appropriate places in the Bible text.

The markup works fine.

Attached File  Note example.jpg   165.01K   11 downloads

Or you can run an SQL example

BEGIN TRANSACTION;
/*Notes. 
Add notes here in the "INSERT INTO "Notes" " statement, and a corresponding <not>N1</not> (or  N2 or R1 R2 etc) tag in the Bible data where you want the popup link to appear*/
DROP TABLE if EXISTS "main"."Notes";
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS "Notes" (
	"Book"	INTEGER,
	"Chapter"	INTEGER,
	"Verse"	INTEGER,
	"ID"	TEXT,
	"Note"	TEXT
);
INSERT INTO "Notes" ("Book","Chapter","Verse","ID","Note") VALUES (1,1,1,'N1','This is a simple note. <br><b><font color=red>This is the second line of the note'),
 (1,1,2,'N1','This is a fake nonesense note on verse 2 of Genesis 1<br><font color=#6495ED>σκοτος</font> <font color=#9753DB>G4655</font> <b>N-NSN</b>'),
 (1,1,2,'N2','This is a nonesense note that shows a popup when you hover N2 about nothing. Just a test.'),
 (1,1,3,'R1','This is a nonesense note that shows a popup when you hover R1 about nothing. Just a test.'),
 (1,1,6,'N1','Test on Genesis 1:6 note that shows a popup when you hover N1');
 /*Make an index for the Notes*/
DROP INDEX if EXISTS "main"."BookChapterVerseIDIndex";
CREATE INDEX BookChapterVerseIDIndex ON Notes (Book, Chapter, Verse, ID)
COMMIT;

So these are the notes that correspond to markers you have put in the main text at 1,1,2 (Genesis,Chapter 1, Verse 2)

This is for the .bbli type of Bible, which should work with any current version of e-Sword on any operating system.

#8 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:45 PM

Yes it worked ok on my Android phone and PC

Attached File  Android_e-Sword.jpg   24.55K   9 downloads

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)