Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Writing your own book/Resource

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Some interesting things about T4:

Life Application Commentary for the NT (premium e-Sword module) was made with T4. If it's good enough for official e-Sword, it ought to be good enough for you. (Sidenote: I have this module, and I recommend it).

Rick Meyers has told me he likes and very much appreciates the work Brent has done.

T4 would cost tens of thousands of dollars to develop from scratch, paying hourly programming rates (like a company would).

Everything I make goes through T4. T4 goes beyond module making

It allows for the wide scale manipulation of text required to make good modules.

It has the best tooltipping and error checking algorithm I've ever seen (yall do know, there's more than one Bible software company that assumes every number:number is a valid reference, with no checking at all).

It allows you to automate the mass creation of database records with predefined symbols.

Virtually everyone who makes modules on a regular basis, uses T4. If I left you off the list, it's probably because I'm not sure if you use T4:

Josh H. uses T4

Patchworkkid uses T4

David Psalms uses T4

Larry G uses T4

Tom Rightmer uses T4

Doctor Dave uses T4

James Rice uses T4

Journey uses T4

Bill Huff uses T4

Pfpeller uses T4

Brad Cobb uses T4

Scribe uses T4

David (of Psalm4.org) uses T4

About a dozen "non-public" module makers use T4--they've contacted me asking questions. They make modules for their church, their Bible study, their Sunday school class, etc. Undoubtedly, there's more than a dozen. There's just a dozen that I know of.

The biggest fault of T4 currently is I've let the documentation get way out of date. There's a number of new, undocumented features and the tooltipping algorithm has changed (for the better) since I wrote the documentation.

#12 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi

I also use my Mobile phone to do some work. I have done the major correction and input using my phone. Like now I have finished rearranging my dictionary. And I always make notes from it. Then when I am done I put it into T4.
The thing I like about my phone is that the colours is the same as T4.

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I checked and T4 has had 443 unique downloads. After clicking view all downloaders, you can page through the downloaders. Each page has 20 downloads. There's 22 full pages, plus a partial page of downloaders.

Hi Josh,
Thanks for that. So the good thing about that is its got quite a few users, and not so much multiple downloads as others resources and tools get.

The dll file you viewed is apart of the Text Control distribution--Brent didn't make that. The resulting text is the Windows GUI instructions for placement of graphical elements. It's not actual source code.

Ummm, you're not going to believe me, but guess what?! I know :P :D :lol:

That said, there are hacking type software that can read the source code of a program, and view all the dialogs that have been created for it. Resource Hacker isn't one of them. In fact its a pretty old program, but it has its uses in where I can create res files out of the dialogs and etc., use them in software I may wish to write. Now we're really getting naughty. And BTW, I'm not going to look at and talk about that, ummm, other naughty program... you know... that one (errr, ummm, errr, called the, errr, r ... e .... program. I'm not gonna say it cos I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression and lead them astray :lol: ).

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#14 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi Josh,
Well, you could add my name to the list of T4 users, but for what I would use it for wouldn't really warrant it for me to be up there as I'm more the casual user rather than the pro user.

Stuff I work on really doesn't require the stuff that T4 can do, and for that its just as quick and easy within e-Sword. As for doing Scripture tooltips, I just do them whenever I put in a reference. In a single page there would only be about at max 4 or 5 references, but most would only be about 1 or 2. And if I have to copy and paste a Scripture quotation (which is primarily just about as rare as hens teeth ... in other words its something I hardly do) I just select the text from the Bible view and paste it directly in the Topic or Study Note Editor.

So, basically, because what I do is, in reality, small stuff, and its from scratch, then T4 isn't necessary for me.

Now, I realize this would equate to blasphemy and heresy going by the markdowns that have already been put on this topic and my responses. But the fact remains, that not everyone uses T4, and some could find it quite cumbersome daunting to use. I had to get my head around a lot of stuff in learning that program, and it was quite a huge learning curve to it. And that was well before your manual came out, and the help that was available at that time was pretty scarce. So when you made the manual for it and put it out, it really came handy for stuff that I didn't know, which was quite a fair bit.

OK, that ends my discussion on it, and I really don't want to talk about it any further.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#15 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I remember looking on esnips once at some old version 8 modules. The module maker left some internal notes in the module, remarks to himself and others on the module's composition.

He noted he had worked for months tooltipping the module (this was a several megabyte module). And that he would try to get the rest of the module tooltipped within the next year (whenever that was written).

That's was an eye opener for me. Good software is, well, good!

#16 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Almost everyday I use Tool Tip Tool NT. It is an excellent (five stars) software. [Thanks BH for your hard work].
I mainly use the Topic editor to see the scripture popups, Strongs, convert the topic to Reference Topic. (mainly to check my work).
I rarely use the Format Scripture Tool Tip in the Topic Editor. I rather copy and paste into TNT and back . I like to have a lot of scripture popups so for me to use the Format Scripture Tool Tip would take a long time.

Hi Niobi
I think I just spelled your name wrong.

Anyway, that is where I am at the opposite side of the scale, and for where you are at, I would agree with you.

With that said, and as I said to Josh,

Now, I realize this would equate to blasphemy and heresy going by the markdowns that have already been put on this topic and my responses. But the fact remains, that not everyone uses T4...

And I'm not a regular use of it by any stretch of the imagination. The stuff I do really doesn't warrant it, and that the Topic/Study Note Editor is ... wait for it ... Instantaneous. You can't get it more instant than that. :P ;) So for what I would do, considering the amount of work involved in it, it would not be any quicker than what I do now. I know, I tested myself on it. Wasn't slower, but it wasn't quicker. So what I did in the Topic Note Editor, and then doing it in T4, the time taken to do it was exactly the same. To bold, italic, underline, bullet point, number, and etc, still takes the same amount of time. Font sizes, selecting a color for text, and etc, no quicker than in e-Sword. I can rant on about it, I think you've got my point irrespective of how blasphemous and heretical it may sound to others :D :P

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#17 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Stuff I work on really doesn't require the stuff that T4 can do, and for that its just as quick and easy within e-Sword. As for doing Scripture tooltips, I just do them whenever I put in a reference. In a single page there would only be about at max 4 or 5 references, but most would only be about 1 or 2. And if I have to copy and paste a Scripture quotation (which is primarily just about as rare as hens teeth ... in other words its something I hardly do) I just select the text from the Bible view and paste it directly in the Topic or Study Note Editor.

So, basically, because what I do is, in reality, small stuff, and its from scratch, then T4 isn't necessary for me.

quote from APsit190

I also understand where you are at. From looking where you are at I understand why you do not use T4 much. Respect -where you are at what you are doing.
For I know that you are a hard core fan of e-Sword.
(this is off the subject but I am trying to figure what is your good points so people can get the best out of you. for you have some thing to offer but some reason people (here) do not get you due to a lot of mark downs. I am just a bro trying to understand.

just a question what programs do you make? or something?

finally spelled my name right.

thanks
Niobi aka Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

just a question what programs do you make? or something?

I mostly write, well the best way to describe it is, technical software. In other words for those in specific groups, such as Electricians, Carpenters/Builders and etc. These are not the usual run of the mill software where you can buy it over the counter. They are specifically designed for the clients criteria. The rest is top secret :ph34r:

(this is off the subject but I am trying to figure what is your good points so people can get the best out of you. for you have some thing to offer but some reason people (here) do not get you due to a lot of mark downs.

Thanks, I appreciate your sentiments.

Its not that I'm so much an e-Sword nutter despite that is as true as one could get, Its that I see e-Sword as an extremely versatile Bible program. To me, the simplicity and ease of use is perhaps the biggest attraction that this program has, and despite that its not a pretty looking as some other Bible software, and it may not be as grunty as other Bible software, yet nothing really beats it when it just comes down to simplicity and ease of use. The clean interface, the way one can customize it to suite himself, the accessibility to the resources areas of the program, and nothing dominating another part of the program; all these things are what sells e-Sword to me.

The editors, although nowhere near as grunty as MS Word, WordPerfect, OO Writer, and others, yet does a fantastic job for basic resource topic note creation. For anything more than that, and believe this, I wouldn't use e-Sword's Topic Note or Study Note editors; I'd use T4. I have no issues with that at all.

The whole thing about writing a simple book from scratch, and using things like the Journal Editor and the Study Note Editor are excellent side tools to have in putting in scrapbook notes like thoughts and ideas, and planning the project. So, here we can see that e-Sword, in a sense, can also be like a project manager tool as well. Now that is something I didn't think of before :D

So, in sharing thoughts like this about the versatility of e-Sword, I don't understand where people are coming from who seem to be opposed and/or object to that thought. Is it wrong to write something that really can be beneficial to people to use more efficiently and effectively? Resource (Module) creators like you, Niobi, it would be a long and arduous task to use e-Sword editors, and I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to do it. Neither was this the intention of my original post.

[Removed]

I think I better get off my soapbox and calm down.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#19 david psalms

david psalms

Resource Builder

• Moderators
  • 984 posts
  • LocationAndhra Pradesh, India

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Marking Up is an agreement. Marking down is disagreement with the opinion. Other than this there is no other significance for those up and down arrows.

Josh: May i suggest you to remove the word Reputation points and keep something else. [Changed Reputation to Agreement]

The first goal in life is to make ourselves acceptable to the LORD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users