Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting Story About e-Sword Modules

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

When he, the Spirit of Truth is come; He will guide you into all truth......! (Jn 16:13)

While it is a good idea to avoid heretical doctrine, unless you are called to write a refutation or apologetic; reading well presented offerings of viewpoints you don't personally hold, with an open mind; will either strengthen your position or sway you to the other viewpoint.

It seems to me that the Spirit of Truth can best guide us into all Truth if we choose to be teachable!  I still firmly hold to most of the beliefs I held ten or even twenty years ago; but some of my eschatological positions have altered, albeit not drastically  as a result of considering another position.  I believe that Ja 1:6 speaks of wavering from faith, not of wavering from a doctrinal position.

Basically, I agree with you especially about staying teachable, but not so much with James 1:6 applying to the topic in the way you have used it. And especially  on the Greek definition for doubt that you used in this instance at least as I read the Strong's numbers.)

I’ll open the citation out a bit for context, and apologize for citing from a study that I did on James back in August of 2011 rather than taking a “fresh run at it”.  I would only be ‘Reinventing the wheel” otherwise.

It is interesting to note that Joseph Smith cites James 1:6 as his justification for the Book of Mormon.  He reportedly he asked God for the wisdom to discern which church was the right one, and the answer was “None of them”. And as a result he received the “golden plates” and the means to translate them thus correcting the corruption done to God’s word by the churches of that day. (or so I was told by a Mormon who was trying to convert me).

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:5-8 NASB)

Verses 2-4: The word translated “joy” here means a cause or occasion for joy, even celebration.  The word translated encounter (experience in some translations) means to fall into as to be encompassed, not something small or shallow, but into something deep and large enough to swallow you up whole. 

We are to rejoice at our trials and tribulations, not our temptations.  God sends trials to bring out the best in us, but Satan sends temptations to bring out the worst in us.

Trials are meant to develop our endurance, maturity, and hope.  Therefore, they not only can be over come, they are meant to be over come.  Given time and perspective, we begin to see our trials as having developed the sort of maturity, perseverance, and character that could not have been achieved in us by any lesser means.

The one who allows this sort of testing is our Heavenly Father.  He allows only those trials designed to demonstrate to us, as well as through us, His goodness, strength, grace, and glory.  (Romans 5:3-5; 1st Peter 1:6-7)

The trials and tribulations we face help us to mature, building us incrementally towards a more perfect reflection of the image of Christ.  (Philippians 1:6)

Trials build the right sort of perseverance and maturity in us only because the confidence and hope that it builds in us is actually in Him, not in ourselves.  

(Philippians 2:13)

As we are overwhelmed by our trials, we begin to see the limitations inherent in our own wisdom, understanding, and strength.  As first in desperation, then with anticipation, we begin to call upon the Lord for help in dealing with our problems.  We cry, "Give me strength", but increasingly also "Give me wisdom".

Verse 5: God is more than willing to give us the wisdom needed to deal with what ever we face.  Because the wisdom of God is given to all with a generous hand, we need not worry about asking for it.  But it is His wisdom, rather than the wisdom of this world.

God’s wisdom has an eternal perspective; He is an eternal God.  It some times takes us a while to understand that the wisdom He offers is far better than the very best this world, and the prince of this world, could ever imagine.

Verse 6: We must ask in faith, without doubting.  I need faith to access the wisdom to know how to deal with the trial I am facing.  But the goal of the trial is to develop my faith.  How much faith do I need?

And Jesus said to him, “‘If You can?’  All things are possible to him who believes.”  Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, "I do believe; help my unbelief."  (Mark 9:23-24)

Jesus healed the boy immediately after that father’s statement/ request/ prayer.  It is obvious, then, that we need only enough faith to ask for the faith we need.  But we do need to ask in faith.  (Hebrews 11:6)

One sort of doubt arose in Matthew 14:27-31 the word for doubt here (G1365) means: To (mentally) waver.  Peter merely took his eyes off the Lord, momentarily wavered in his faith, during the storm, and immediately called upon the Lord for help.

But the word used for doubt here (G1252) means “to withdraw, desert, to separate in a hostile spirit, to oppose, strive with dispute, and contend.  To be at variance with yourself, hesitate, and doubt”.  (Strong’s Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries)

We have all seen this attitude in some people who are undergoing trials, blaming God, hostile, contentious, and argumentative.  This person has failed the test by allowing his own bitterness and anger and fear to cut him off from God, the source of his strength, wisdom, and comfort.

Is it any wonder, then, that:

Verses 7-8 He is unstable because he no longer stands upon on the “rock of his salvation.”  He is, rather, tossed about by a sea of conflicting emotions and desires.  He is trying to get a solution from God that will fit in with the worldly view he does not wish to release.  Some translations refer to such a man as having two souls, for his dependence is someplace other than upon God, the objects of his desires are other than those God wills for him.

This type of doubter has his eyes focused upon the storm, his pain, and fear.  As long as he has that sort of attitude towards God and his situation, even should he pray it will be without faith.  But God is faithful even when we are not, so if this type of doubter repents he is not beyond God's grace because his doubt no longer stands between him and God.

Edited by Tim Butterfield, 28 September 2014 - 05:16 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#22 MARCR

MARCR

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFalls City, OR

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Tim,

In my citation of Ja 1:6, my intent is that a request for wisdom might cause us to see Scripture in a new way and thereby change our doctrinal stance.

When James tells us that God will gladly satisfy our request tor wisdom unless we waver;

he is saying that we will receive wisdom unless we doubt God's readiness to give it to us.

He is not saying you will receive wisdom unless it causes you to reassess your doctrinal position.

Blessings on you!  (Nu 6:24-26)

Marc

#23 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

In my citation of Ja 1:6, my intent is that a request for wisdom might cause us to see Scripture in a new way and thereby change our doctrinal stance.
When James tells us that God will gladly satisfy our request tor wisdom unless we waver;
he is saying that we will receive wisdom unless we doubt God's readiness to give it to us.
He is not saying you will receive wisdom unless it causes you to reassess your doctrinal position.

I have no problem with that, the Joseph Smith anecdote was a combination of trivia and an example of how verse 6 has been misinterpreted.  (I set it off from my actual response by a row of asterisks so it would not be taken for anything other than that.  I will be more careful next time.)

My problem was with the definition of the word translated as doubt in that verse.  You said:

I believe that Ja 1:6 speaks of wavering from faith, not of wavering from a doctrinal position.”   

But the word that James used for doubt went way beyond wavering from faith, and into the sort of doubt that comes between us and God (mainly because we are looking for a worldly answer).  That was why I stressed the two types of unbelief.  (G1365) means: To (mentally) waver. and

(G1252) means “to withdraw, desert, to separate in a hostile spirit, to oppose, strive with dispute, and contend.  To be at variance with yourself, hesitate, and doubt”.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#24 David DeBord

David DeBord

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

Greetings Ya'll,

E-sword, deeply helped me, & is still helping me, in my Seeking The Truth. Where I would ask many questions of those who stand at the pulpit, & they would give "whitewashed answers", or dance around them in a poolitical fashion,..., I have typed one word, or a phrase, into the Search panel, & from there, The Truth, rained down, at times that it was overwhelming.

One outstanding example is how many times, "my people", is written in The Old Testament/ Tanach, (more tyhan 200 times), & all that was stated to them, & about them. This only Tremendously, & completely changed my beliefs about Man's Religions. I have not been a member of any Christian church, nor synagogue, since 1984. And Lol1, I'm definetely not a believer of Islam.

I already have worn out 4 Bibles, that are taped, glued, highly noted in, &, & greatly highlighted, & those, along with E-sword, have opened my eyes to how far off Man's Religions are, from what is actually stated in the Scriptures.

I've learned that The Way, is neither "Christian", nor "Judaic",.... It is Israeli.

Shalom Ya'll!

There is only One Way, .... And it Absolutely is not "Judaism", Catholicism, nor "Christianity".

This is Absolutely Proven in The Scriptures.

#25 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

I've learned that The Way, is neither "Christian", nor "Judaic",.... It is Israeli.

On that note, all I can say is, "You're wrong!" And then to say, Its all about Jesus. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I would love to add in more, and really share my heart in this, but that would take a book, of which I have no intention of writing on here.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#26 RJayB

RJayB

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:38 AM

I started to respond to your email several times. I looked at a few scriptures and started to write about them and keep it generic. It's just impossible to explain truth. Pilate said it. How do you define truth. It's in the scriptures though, waiting to be unlocked.

We will not get it, until we know that we do not have it, and that we do not deserve to have it.

There was a plaque on the wall some years ago where I work. Written on the plaque was the word 'Quality' with the note below it that said: 'Hard to define, but easy to recognize'.

The truth has a similar definition only it's 'hard to define' and it's even more difficult to recognize. We can't recognize it without Gods help. When he truly opens our minds we will know it.

it sounds like a greek philosphers riddle doesn't it? Many spent their entire lives trying to define it and never could. One day all will have it though. It's just a matter of when God chooses to reveal it.

Deu 29:29  The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Joh 17:17  Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

2Ti 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Eph 1:13  In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Pro 22:17  Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply thine heart unto my knowledge.
Pro 22:18  For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee; they shall withal be fitted in thy lips.
Pro 22:19  That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee.
Pro 22:20  Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge,
Pro 22:21  That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou might answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?

Act 26:24  And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.
Act 26:25  But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.
Act 26:26  For the king knows of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
Act 26:27  King Agrippa, believe thou the prophets? I know that thou believe.
Act 26:28  Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuades me to be a Christian.

Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.

The truth is in the word of God. God never told us to get our instruction from people but only from God. Commentaries may sometimes be helpful but they may sometimes mislead. People who truly believe what they are saying and have no intention to mislead you can still mislead you. Sincerity is no guaranty for truth.

1Jn 2:26  These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1Jn 2:27  But the anointing which ye have received of him abides in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Psa 118:8  It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
Psa 118:9  It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

Pro 30:5  Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

I in no way am denigrating some of the wonderful work that has been done by the authors of commentaries and other works, I'm just stating that none of them have any authority except where they agree with the word of God which leads us back to the word of God only as our source for truth. This may seem like an obvious statement but I know that I sometimes need to be reminded of the obvious.

May God continue to bless you richly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users