Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting Story About e-Sword Modules

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 scotsman1228

scotsman1228

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Do you think that when a module is posted, that the poster could explain what module contains? Most do, some do not.

#12 Deof Movestofca

Deof Movestofca

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUniverse, Sol System, Earth

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

Greetings All,

Before I download a module, a commentary for example, I like to do a little research about the author. Like anyone else here, I belong to a particular theological tradition that I see as being in accordance with God's Word and I generally like to amass resources that are basically compatible with that view. The ones I filter are those from an Arminiam and/or Pelagian perspective. Not trying to start a debate on that point, just saying.

As I was researching the authors from some of the latest commentary modules, I came across a story I found interesting. Here's a link to the story - enjoy:

http://brotherhoodne...es-for-e-sword/

A gospel preacher has set about to provide free brotherhood resources for the most popular Bible study program for computers.

Okay, but just what is the "brotherhood" that the article is writing about?

#13 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

More and more frequently modules contain, if not information on the theological slant of the source material, at least some information on equivalent to the dustcover blurbs on the hard copy editions. 

I know that Josh is encouraging module producers to do so, and at least one person is sifting through the modules that don’t have such data and adding it to the download page. 

There are a few “pump and dump” module creators who give nothing more than the name (and occasionally the author) of the article/book contained in the module.   

It is fairly easy from that information to Google the author thus obtaining at least some information on   the probable theological bent from that.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#14 Deof Movestofca

Deof Movestofca

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Oh, sure, make me find my own information the hard way: by Googling it!

=OP

#15 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Okay, but just what is the "brotherhood" that the article is writing about?

That was an article about the modules that I make, which for the most part are from members of the church of Christ.  If a module fits this description, it is tagged as such.  Not all the modules I make fit that category, and some of them really do not deal with any church-of-Christ specific issues (such as a couple debates on the existence of God).

Some module makers don't tag their modules with the religious background of the author, or even mention them in the description.  I try to make sure that information is there, unless I just don't know.

-Brad

#16 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I know, Bradley.  You are one of the good guys.  I don't mind not having theological background in the tags (though including it in the download page is nice), as I said the Author's name lets me get a fairly good handle by Googling.

If the Google leads to a group affiliation, the first thing I look for is a Statement of Faith (or what ever they call it.) from that I can pretty well figure out how likely I am going to be to use the material.

Personally, I am of the opinion that the name over the door is much less important than what is being taught inside (which is why I check out the statement of belief rather than the affiliation when I am looking for a church to attend while traveling.)  If the scriptures (Old and New Testaments) are being taught in a clear, understandable and applicable manner, odds are greatly improved that it is church worth attending.  From what I have seen, I would probably find your church one I would enjoy visiting.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#17 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Personally, I am of the opinion that the name over the door is much less important than what is being taught inside (which is why I check out the statement of belief rather than the affiliation when I am looking for a church to attend while traveling.)  If the scriptures (Old and New Testaments) are being taught in a clear, understandable and applicable manner, odds are greatly improved that it is church worth attending.  From what I have seen, I would probably find your church one I would enjoy visiting.

I am humbled by you statement.  You are always welcome here.

-Brad

#18 Deof Movestofca

Deof Movestofca

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

If the scriptures (Old and New Testaments) are being taught in a clear, understandable and applicable manner, odds are greatly improved that it is church worth attending.

You just summarized what a good service should be about.  I don't have anything against "modernizing" worship services.  The danger, however, is when the presentation of the message becomes more important than the message itself.  If the sermon goes against clear and unmistakeable biblical teachings, then making it entertaining is simply putting lipstick on a pig.

#19 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

You just summarized what a good service should be about.  I don't have anything against "modernizing" worship services.  The danger, however, is when the presentation of the message becomes more important than the message itself.  If the sermon goes against clear and unmistakeable biblical teachings, then making it entertaining is simply putting lipstick on a pig.

I have seen several teachers who would never go against clear Biblical teaching, but their presentation was such that the flock went away under fed at best.  Sometimes it is merely a matter of loosing the seminary and learning how to teach people...make sure that the message isn't over the heads of the sheep, but there is nothing wrong with putting in a thing or two for the giraffes (to encourage and allow for growth.)

One of the Pastors who most greatly influenced me used to say that when you were looking for a new church home you should look for four things

1. Look for a place where you are fed on the Word in a way you could understand and apply.  (If it doesn’t do that it will never have the other three)

1. Look for a place where you feel/see the Spirit moving.

1. Look for a place where you “fit in”.  (If the liturgy/ way they worship makes you uncomfortable, odds are you won’t be happy there.and will make others unhappy as well)

1. Look for someplace where you can be Fruitful.  (The desire to serve is a natural outgrowth of a maturing Christian faith…but sometimes one church will “grow you up” but your service will actually begin some place else.)

#20 MARCR

MARCR

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFalls City, OR

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

When he, the Spirit of Truth is come; He will guide you into all truth......! (Jn 16:13)

While it is a good idea to avoid heretical doctrine, unless you are called to write a refutation or apologetic; reading well presented offerings of viewpoints you don't personally hold, with an open mind; will either strengthen your position or sway you to the other viewpoint.

It seems to me that the Spirit of Truth can best guide us into all Truth if we choose to be teachable!  I still firmly hold to most of the beliefs I held ten or even twenty years ago; but some of my eschatological positions have altered, albeit not drastically  as a result of considering another position.  I believe that Ja 1:6 speaks of wavering from faith, not of wavering from a doctrinal position.

Edited by MARCR, 28 September 2014 - 01:31 AM.

Blessings on you!  (Nu 6:24-26)

Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users