Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Lange's Commentary for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#171 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

What ever "e-SRFS 1" is. Care to define terms? :-)

e-Sword Resource Format Specification 1.

The version number refers to the ability of the program to handle the specific eSRFS. More precisely, that was the idea when Rick included it in the database table.

e-Sword 10.1 reads a commentary fine with the e-Sword version set to "1" . :) Or "2".

e-Sword 10.1.0 should be able to read resources with version number "2", or version number "3".
They shouldn't be able to read resources with version number "1".

jonathon

#172 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

e-Sword Resource Format Specification 1.

The version number refers to the ability of the program to handle the specific eSRFS. More precisely, that was the idea when Rick included it in the database table.

Did Rick publish this stuff in the past? Regardless, most of the information has been reversed engineered.

e-Sword 10.1.0 should be able to read resources with version number "2", or version number "3".
They shouldn't be able to read resources with version number "1".

jonathon

Why? With CMTX files, the "version" pertains to the display engine, not the database.

#173 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

Did Rick publish this stuff in the past?

That part of it was published by Rick.

Why? With CMTX files, the "version" pertains to the display engine, not the database.

The version number relates to the specification. Any change in the specification requires a change in the version number. This change could be a change in the acceptable presentation markup, or a change in the database table, or a change in the semantic markup, or a change in the interchange between resources. What changes, and where that change is, is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is that something in the specification changed.

jonathon

#174 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

That part of it was published by Rick.

The version number relates to the specification. Any change in the specification requires a change in the version number. This change could be a change in the acceptable presentation markup, or a change in the database table, or a change in the semantic markup, or a change in the interchange between resources. What changes, and where that change is, is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is that something in the specification changed.

jonathon

To my knowledge, this "specifications" is not public. They may exist, I do not know where they exist. If they exist, they should exist on BibleSupport.com which is THE user supported, 3rd party e-Sword user group website. I do not find any such published specification via searching here. I do not find such specification via Google, though I see you have mentioned this before on other sites, but in name only. If it exists, it must be way out of date as of e-Sword version 10.1. Fortunately with support by people such as Josh, DDT, Peter, Carlos, DSaw, Raymond, Tom, Brad, Ebed, and a number of others, we as a community are able utilize resources in e-Sword.

What ever the specification, when the RTF code is loaded in the the "Text Control" RTF display engine, it will be changed by that control to what ever it interprets. This is easily confirmed by checking the database file, and just a simple copy of the data from e-Sword to the clipboard and then looking at the clipboard data. Text Control changes many things. A good thing to have in a tool that makes modules for e-Sword is the same data display engine.

#175 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

If it exists, it must be way out of date as of e-Sword version 10.1.

Exactly, the misunderstanding of what "version" does confirms any developer specification documentation is way out of date. A lot of it certainly changed with the adoption of TextControl. I think any current developer documentation exists in Rick Meyers' mind and probably not on paper.

The biggest area of "developer documentation" that confuses even technical people is the lack of RTF headers in e-Sword modules (except topics). Since e-Sword natively includes an RTF header, you then have to learn what fonts \f0, \f1, \f2, etc correspond with. The same for colors: \cf0, \cf1\, \cf2, etc. The beauty of ToolTip is it lets people create modules without understanding any of that. I learned what data e-Sword expects from you and your app's output. The second thing I've had to explain even to technical people is urging them not to put headers in e-Sword modules because it overrides e-Sword's font choices and font sizes. That can be a difficult point to get across.

But I don't feel there's a drought of technical information about e-Sword. It's really not all that complicated and there's nothing I want to know that I don't already.

Josh

Edited by Josh Bond, 31 May 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#176 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Fortunately with support by people such as Josh, DDT, Peter, Carlos, DSaw, Raymond, Tom, Brad, Ebed, and a number of others, we as a community are able utilize resources in e-Sword.

I feel honored to be mentioned with those names here.

#177 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

You and me both. I can understand you and the others being included but me?

Edit: In my surprise, I forgot to say thank you to B.H. for such an honor. Thanks B.H.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 31 May 2012 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image

#178 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi Brad,
I tend to think that could be a tad risky bro, especially with Josh, mate. Oh yeah, I mean that bloke, you really gotta watch out for him. Extremely dangerous. ROFL.gif

Just think, bro, you know, creating stuff like Lange's and etc, just could be make a person totally radical and get them out of their mediocrity and start wanting to study the Bible. Dangerous stuff! Might want to make a person want to serve the Lord and be on fire for God, and all of that kind of radical stuff. So, hmmm, me thinks that we just might have to put Josh on the"Watch him" list.

Now, of coarse I'm kidding. And to be honest, its really great to see young blokes like Josh who have a fervor to serve the the Lord in such a way of which to bring blessing to the Body of Christ.

Just imagine, Josh, you, me, and others doing things that blesses others from our own homes in our little communities/towns/villages and etc, which reaches right around the world. Making this now much more narrower: from Josh's home this resource was created. He uploaded it to his server, or the server which hosts this site. Me, in little Christchurch, New Zealand, downloads this file. Now you multiply that to other countries around the world, including yours, and see the impact this ministry actually has in reaching right around the world. Now how amazing is that?! I tell this, this is totally exciting, and I really praise God for what is happening.

It goes the same with Rick Meyers in his creation of e-Sword. Although this piece of Bible software isn't the most gruntiest, the most powerful Bible program, but for what it actually does God has blessed it, and its reached in countries that one would imagine as impossible. I believe, such is the anointing that God has place on this program and this site to which it literally touches millions of lives around the world.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 31 May 2012 - 06:51 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#179 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

There are many others not mentioned. Any body here know Shirley? She has made hundreds of modules, and was the main motivator for me to continue working on T3/T4. DDT and Josh are right behind her. There are modules from what, 70+ different people here on BibleSupport.com. That is a cool thing about e-Sword is that it is available for user expansion. As is "The Word"! And of course, we can build modules all day long. We need to use this modules, and the main purpose of this whole ministry is not to build modules in my opinion, but it is this: John 17:3 AKJV And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

#180 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Ahh, Brent! You've hit the purpose of why there is a DDT.com! DDT isn't about modules for one or another particular kind of software; it is about the proclamation of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Right now, the only two formats I use for that proclamation are eSword and TheWord; but I hope to expand to more formats.

Thanks, Brent, for your kindness, by the way, to be mentioned with some of these outstanding module builders. I consider myself "...one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread" (the Bread of Life!).

Tell Shirley I said "hi," won't you?

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users