Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Hi from James Robertson

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 04:04 PM

How will it add the book and chapter codes on every verse that are used in e-sword?  as far as i can see i need to add those with a macro before I import

How will I convert the footnotes in MS Word to footnotes in Tooltip NT -- does it have the functionality to do that?

Thanks so much for your help :)

e-Sword has built in function that links bible verses to commentary and dictionary modules automatically. Bibles are connected to commentary modules via the book, chapter and verse numbers. So if select as an example Matthew 1:12 any commentary module containing information or footnotes pertaining to Matthew 1:12 will be indicated in the commentary window with small blue light in the bible commentary modules tab. 

No macros are needed all that his needed is the book, chapter and verse information at the start of each verse as shown below:

Mat 1:12  And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

e-Sword displays bible text with one verse per line as shown below:

Mat 1:10  And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias; 
Mat 1:11  And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon: 
Mat 1:12  And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; 
Mat 1:13  And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; 
Mat 1:14  And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; 

As long as your bible text is layed out as shown above Tooltip will do the hard work with just a couple of mouse clicks

e-Sword is already programmed to read the book, chapter and verse numbers. 

I should point out that all e-Sword modules are SQL Databases and e-Sword itself is in essence a database reader. 

Tooltip is a word processor for making modules with the ability to generate the module databases from simple RTF files. All of the programming to create modules exists in Tooltip NT. 

If you want the footnotes in the bible text which is not usually done, you can include each note with each verse by using what is called a soft break in Tooltip. this done by pressing shift+enter at the end of a line of text instead of hitting enter and creating a new paragraph

Edited by Tj Higgins, 24 October 2023 - 04:11 PM.

#12 James_Robertson

James_Robertson

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2023 - 01:49 PM

Thank you "e-Sword Tools Developer"

I have no doubt you are correct.

I am a consultant and I believe that speaking to a human being who is an expert is a more effective way of achieving a high quality outcome quickly than figuring it out oneself

I have years of figuring things out myself and am quite certain i could it here too

But in this case i really feel it would be helpful to get on Zoom for an hour with someone who really deeply understands the tool and can guide me to the optimum solution.

Thanks again

Dr James A Robertson

Seeking to help people draw closer to the Creator and Yahooshua {Jesus}.

#13 James_Robertson

James_Robertson

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2023 - 03:05 PM

Hi e-Sword Fanatic

Apologies, i did not see your post above which is on the second page of the thread

Thank you for the very detailed reply.

I am aware that i need to have, for example Mat 1,: at the start of each verse, the KJV text that I am working on in Microsoft Word does not have that -- I have a heading for each book and a heading for each chapter and then only verse numbers in the text

Hence it seems to me that I need a macro to add in Mat 1: etc for every verse

My thinking with regard to footnotes in eSword is as they are handled in "The Scriptures" which I am using as a reference for some of my work -- bastically blue text at the end of the verse with some delimiters

I currently have about 850 footnotes in Microsoft Word from Matthew to Romans and I expect to add many more footnotes in the entire work -- which is a bespoke rendering of Genesis to Revelation.

So manually posting footnotes into Tooltip NT is not an option -- again i see a macro, running against a Riich Text Format export from Microsoft Word and creating an RTF file for Tooltip NT and eSword as the way to go 

Further, I am busy with a first draft, aiming to complete Matthew to Revelation by the end of December at which point I will probably do a second pass which meands that whatever I do now in terms of feeding into eSword will need to repeated then, agaiin pointing to macros.

It would help me to have someone talk me through the exact steps in TooltTip NT and then eSword and assist me to gauge exactly what the macros need to do so i can specify the requirement and then go on Upwork to find a developer who can do the necessary

It is important to stress that i am engaged in an iterative process of editing the master text in order to capture the nuances in translation that I believe are important and that I am also working towards a formatted pdf document to print to create a physical Bible that is well presented, for this reason i do  not want Mat 1: in front of every verse in MS Word but only in the eSword version -- I am also posting every book onto my website as I complete it and here also i don't want Mat 1: in front of each verse.

For the same reason, i want to keep using the Footnote function in MS Word in my document for printing an don the website

I then also want to post a number of articles, some of which run to ten or twenty pages with images elaborating on points that i make in my commentary on the Bible and I want to be able to reference these from within the Bible text -- I know this is possible, the question is how best to go about doing this with an automated or nearly automated conversion process.

To clarify my comments about "expert" -- my claim to fame is that i claim to be an expert in diagnosing why big business information systems (ERP) are not delivering and turning them around such that I claim to be an expert and clain that i can accurately diagnose the cause of a problem in one to two days when other experts have failed to find the root cause and I then offerr a service to guide the client to turn the situation around -- in doing this i am not an expert on the technology or the business, I am an expert on the use of the technology and the psychology involved, so my skillls in learning new technology are rather rusty (I am nearly 70)

I am also starting up a new business, just bult anew website, starting with Google AdWords, LinkedIn advertising and search engine optimisation (SEO) -- in each of these cases i have almost no knowledge of the technology but I understand the desired business outcome and i work with experts in each field to do the work, I believe i should accord the work of our Father in Heaven the same respect and therefore I am looking for an expert who can guide me with my Bible project with regard to eSword -- I am quite prepared to pay for a few hours consulting.

I hope this helps to clarify my thinking.

Thanks again for your interest :)

Dr James A Robertson

#14 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 October 2023 - 03:58 PM

Thank you "e-Sword Tools Developer"

I have no doubt you are correct.

I am a consultant and I believe that speaking to a human being who is an expert is a more effective way of achieving a high quality outcome quickly than figuring it out oneself

I have years of figuring things out myself and am quite certain i could it here too

But in this case i really feel it would be helpful to get on Zoom for an hour with someone who really deeply understands the tool and can guide me to the optimum solution.

Thanks again

ToolTip Tool NT is an Application (as in a piece of Software, a program) that runs on a Computer, and not a person or robot, or anything else. The User Guide is a pdf document that works pretty much the same way as a help file. ToolTip Tool NT (also known a T4 (because it has 4 Ts)) is the actual goto program used for the creation of e-Sword resources.

Click here to download the program.

X (formerly Twitter)

#15 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:40 PM

Hi e-Sword Fanatic

Apologies, i did not see your post above which is on the second page of the thread

Thank you for the very detailed reply.

I am aware that i need to have, for example Mat 1,: at the start of each verse, the KJV text that I am working on in Microsoft Word does not have that -- I have a heading for each book and a heading for each chapter and then only verse numbers in the text

Hence it seems to me that I need a macro to add in Mat 1: etc for every verse

My thinking with regard to footnotes in eSword is as they are handled in "The Scriptures" which I am using as a reference for some of my work -- bastically blue text at the end of the verse with some delimiters

I currently have about 850 footnotes in Microsoft Word from Matthew to Romans and I expect to add many more footnotes in the entire work -- which is a bespoke rendering of Genesis to Revelation.

So manually posting footnotes into Tooltip NT is not an option -- again i see a macro, running against a Riich Text Format export from Microsoft Word and creating an RTF file for Tooltip NT and eSword as the way to go 

Further, I am busy with a first draft, aiming to complete Matthew to Revelation by the end of December at which point I will probably do a second pass which meands that whatever I do now in terms of feeding into eSword will need to repeated then, agaiin pointing to macros.

It would help me to have someone talk me through the exact steps in TooltTip NT and then eSword and assist me to gauge exactly what the macros need to do so i can specify the requirement and then go on Upwork to find a developer who can do the necessary

It is important to stress that i am engaged in an iterative process of editing the master text in order to capture the nuances in translation that I believe are important and that I am also working towards a formatted pdf document to print to create a physical Bible that is well presented, for this reason i do  not want Mat 1: in front of every verse in MS Word but only in the eSword version -- I am also posting every book onto my website as I complete it and here also i don't want Mat 1: in front of each verse.

For the same reason, i want to keep using the Footnote function in MS Word in my document for printing an don the website

I then also want to post a number of articles, some of which run to ten or twenty pages with images elaborating on points that i make in my commentary on the Bible and I want to be able to reference these from within the Bible text -- I know this is possible, the question is how best to go about doing this with an automated or nearly automated conversion process.

To clarify my comments about "expert" -- my claim to fame is that i claim to be an expert in diagnosing why big business information systems (ERP) are not delivering and turning them around such that I claim to be an expert and clain that i can accurately diagnose the cause of a problem in one to two days when other experts have failed to find the root cause and I then offerr a service to guide the client to turn the situation around -- in doing this i am not an expert on the technology or the business, I am an expert on the use of the technology and the psychology involved, so my skillls in learning new technology are rather rusty (I am nearly 70)

I am also starting up a new business, just bult anew website, starting with Google AdWords, LinkedIn advertising and search engine optimisation (SEO) -- in each of these cases i have almost no knowledge of the technology but I understand the desired business outcome and i work with experts in each field to do the work, I believe i should accord the work of our Father in Heaven the same respect and therefore I am looking for an expert who can guide me with my Bible project with regard to eSword -- I am quite prepared to pay for a few hours consulting.

I hope this helps to clarify my thinking.

Thanks again for your interest :)

No Macros are needed when using ToolTip NT, the program has a "Fill in" function that can add in the book, chapter and verse numbers if need be. The footnotes can be added to the end of the verses as I said by using a soft break. Microsoft Word's footnote function is not compatible with e-Sword so you should create both a MS-Word version of your project and an RTF version for use with Tooltip NT. 

The articles you mention can be made into either a commentary module or a topic module depending on how they are laid out. 

#16 James_Robertson

James_Robertson

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2023 - 12:16 PM

As I said above I am sure you are correct, and I would still value a Zoom call to discuss and see exactly how it works but I get that this is not available 

Pity, is there no one out there who is willing to engage with me on Zoom?

Dr James A Robertson

#17 James_Robertson

James_Robertson

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2023 - 12:30 PM

I am quite prepared to pay a consulting fee for this assistance

Dr James A Robertson

#18 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 01:48 PM

I am quite prepared to pay a consulting fee for this assistance

I Just created an e-Sword bible module from Matthew 1 in you bible text, I also created a separate commentary module containing all of the footnotes for Matthew 1. I did this after looking over the bible text that is posted to your website and then downloading both the docx file for Matthew and the pdf file as well. 

After looking over the number of footnotes, I decided on the two module approach to avoid creating a bible module that would not display very cleanly in e-Sword with the footnotes embedded. 

I can continue to assist unfortunately time zone differences make doing a Zoom call difficult.

I would like to suggest that you download and install Tooltip NT and then open it. Once the program is open click "Help" from the menu at the top of the screen and then from the Help menu select the Tooltip users manual which is the last item on the Help menu. Once you have read through the manual you will have a better understanding of how to create modules. From there we can work on your project

#19 James_Robertson

James_Robertson

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2023 - 12:25 PM

Thank you Tim

What time zone are you in?

I will fit in with wherever you are no matter what time it is.

Thanks so much

Dr James A Robertson

#20 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 12:51 PM

Thank you Tim

What time zone are you in?

I will fit in with wherever you are no matter what time it is.

Thanks so much

US EDT Timezone 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users