Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Harmony of Gospels - Robertson on Android?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VanHWhite

VanHWhite

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

I enjoy Robertson's harmony of the gospels on my PC. (It is under menu/ Bible/ Harmony.) Now, I want to get in on my Android phone. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks.

Van

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:21 PM

I enjoy Robertson's harmony of the gospels on my PC. (It is under menu/ Bible/ Harmony.) Now, I want to get in on my Android phone. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks.

Van

If you downloaded the PC version from here it can be easily converted to Android format 

#3 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 August 2023 - 12:00 PM

Rick Meyers has sent me the following information about the HARMONY feature, as at 2023-08-13:
"The Harmony feature that is built into the Apple and Android apps is using the Robertson harmony and is supplied with the app itself."
So if you have uploaded e-Sword directly from Rick Meyer's website https://www.e-sword.net and selected the appropriate version of e-Sword from the LINKS option, then the content of the Robertson Harmony will already be available on your access to the HARMONY feature, for your version of Android.

Rick Meyers has supplied the following information about the HARMONY feature, as at 2023-08-14:
The Harmony and Parallel features are only available on tablets and Chromebooks since they have the screen size necessary to properly display these features. There is one type of phone that displays these features and it is the new "fold" type which gives a wide screen.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 15 August 2023 - 01:46 AM.

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

I think this Harmony feature is not built into the phone versions only tablet versions.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 August 2023 - 09:27 PM

I think this Harmony feature is not built into the phone versions only tablet versions.

On that note, Jon is 101% correct. Not any more, and neither any less than that, Period!

Check video below for all the evidence regurgitating (oops, I mean regarding) that. :D :P

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 13 August 2023 - 09:29 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 12:45 AM

Stephen, and all. This Harmony feature confused me a while back because I could not find it on my phone. I read all the helps and FAQ and was still not clear where it was at, so rather than ask the audience I asked a friend (Rick Meyers) what was going on. His reply is this

Jon,

The Gospel harmony is built into the app.  If one is running e-Sword on an Android tablet or Chromebook, then the Harmony view mode will become available when the current passage is in the Gospels.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

Further to his reply is my actual user experience. There isn't a Harmony tab at the bottom 101% not there. Like this guy Rick says it is something built in the app. You need to have the appropriate view set. 

There are 5 "view icons" at the top of the view in the tablet version. The last one, going left to right, is the Harmony view. If you select this and your current position in the Bible is for example Romans 1:1 it displays this note "Harmony is only available for the Gospels." If you swipe the view to the left, then the harmony data is displayed. Keep swiping left and you get Harmony topic 2, 3, 4 etc

However if you happen to be reading in Luke 3 and you select verse 23, and then tap the 5th icon (Harmony) you get the corresponding verse highlighted in the Harmony view, which may or may not show other parallel readings depending on their existence.

Hope you get your new SAMSUNG tablet soon, so you can see for yourself. Better still get an iPad pro, the worlds greatest tablet, with the worlds greatest mobile operating system.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:00 PM

Further to his reply is my actual user experience. There isn't a Harmony tab at the bottom 101% not there. Like this guy Rick says it is something built in the app. You need to have the appropriate view set.

Yep, that's about right. You see, there is only one single Android edition of e-Sword which works both on tablet and phone. As where on iOS devices, there are two separate editions of e-Sword:

1. e-Sword HT for iPad

2. e-Sword LT for iPhone

This is one of the reasons why I like Android over iOS, is because of the economics regarding the development of software. It costs more to develop an app for iOS because one has to write two programs for each type of iOS device. As where for Android its just once only, and then install it irrespective of the type of device.

To maintain software for iOS, would also cost more due to the fact one has to maintain each for tablet and phone.

...the worlds greatest tablet

Nah, not in a million years.

Reports I read about it, and videos I've seen about it—Nah, just turns me cold. The worst part about it, Apple doesn't support/stand by their devices. Something goes wrong with it, its a nightmare to get it fixed, and the cost of the repair is prohibitive. You might as well buy yourself a brand new one, and toss other one in the garbage. That's how good they are. So, like I said, "Not in a million years."

I don't know much about the operating system, so I have no comment on that. But as far as the hardware goes... Nup!

That said, if one can get iOS to run on (lets say) a Samsung Galaxy Tablet (but not through a virtual machine), I'd even that a go just to see what it's like. (Me thinks that someone tried that somewhere, or something like that somewhere.)

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 14 August 2023 - 03:01 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 August 2023 - 01:49 AM

Rick Meyers has supplied the following information about the HARMONY feature, as at 2023-08-14:
The Harmony and Parallel features are only available on tablets and Chromebooks since they have the screen size necessary to properly display these features. There is one type of phone that displays these features and it is the new "fold" type which gives a wide screen.

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 02:00 AM

Ah nice. When is a phone not a phone?.... when it is flipped into a "tablet".

#10 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 02:45 AM

Can't wait for Apple to "invent" a folding phone... "We call it iTome"

p.s. I am just joking, as I was before about the worlds greatest tablet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users