Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword Version 13 does not start

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#21 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:41 PM

Made no difference.

I just installed version 13 for the 4th time and it still does not run.

Waiting for an update . . .

My suggestion: anyone installing version 13 should first back up their copy of version 12.2 just to be safe.

Well, I can most definitively say, "No issues at my end." See video below.

Something I didn't mention in the video, is that what you could be experiencing major technical issue called a PEBKAC. Something which I notice happens quite a lot... Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#22 Nuno Miguel

Nuno Miguel

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:35 AM

Well, I can most definitively say, "No issues at my end." See video below.

Something I didn't mention in the video, is that what you could be experiencing major technical issue called a PEBKAC. Something which I notice happens quite a lot... Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Blessings,

Saw your video, FYI I actually posted after the post that you read on the screen but I asked an admin to delete it since I had a double post and didn't want that, turns out the moderator/admin ended up deleting my post after that one, which wasn't what I intended. As I said previously, I've been exchanging emails with Rick because, so far, his suggestions haven't solved the issue. In his last reply he said:

"Let me know if reinstalling 12.2 works for you. The setup program is the same as I did a "Save As" of the 12.2 setup. The UAC is most likely the culprit if 12.2 does work. So far over 5,700 others have downloaded and installed the app with no issues."

And no, it doesn't have anything to do with the OS, "Son seeker" also has issues launching the app and he's using Windows 10, if it was really an OS issue, version 12.2 wouldn't be working perfectly. Also, have you ever read the system requirements for the app? :rolleyes: If it's working for you, congrats, that doesn't mean there aren't people having issues, even if it ends up being a minority. Possibly millions use the app and aren't all registered in this site, no way of knowing if more people will have issues or not. And surely it's not because someone is "computer illiterate" :lol: 

BTW A lot of people still use and prefer Windows 7 over 8 or 10...  ;)

Edited by Nuno Miguel, 30 March 2021 - 04:44 AM.

#23 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:13 AM

Saw your video, FYI I actually posted after the post that you read on the screen but I asked an admin to delete it since I had a double post and didn't want that, turns out the moderator/admin ended up deleting my post after that one, which wasn't what I intended. As I said previously, I've been exchanging emails with Rick because, so far, his suggestions haven't solved the issue. In his last reply he said:

Sorry for that mishap of mine.

Jon

#24 Nuno Miguel

Nuno Miguel

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:44 PM

Made no difference.

I just installed version 13 for the 4th time and it still does not run.

Waiting for an update . . .

My suggestion: anyone installing version 13 should first back up their copy of version 12.2 just to be safe.

In my email exchange with Rick it seems there's a "light at the end of the tunnel". Here are the latest emails he sent me and my replies:

"R: Let me know if reinstalling 12.2 works for you.  The setup program is the same as I did a "Save As" of the 12.2 setup.  The UAC is most likely the culprit if 12.2 does work.  So far over 5,700 others have downloaded and installed the app with no issues.

N: Yes, 12.2 is working perfectly.

R: Select "Tools, SermonAudio" from the e-Sword menu, then play one of the sermons.  Does that work?

N: I guess you're obviously talking about version 12.2, since 13.0 doesn't start. I tried it (on 12.2), it should open an hyperlink to the site, right? I clicked it and nothing happened (internet enabled).

R: If the large window for listening to the SermonAudio sermons does not open, then this is the same problem as with e-Sword 13.  Meaning, the problem also exists in 12.2, but you never used the Windows Media portion of the app.  It makes sense then, so now to getting a solution!"

Sorry for that mishap of mine.

Jon

No problem Jon, nice to meet you BTW :)

#25 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:02 PM

BTW A lot of people still use and prefer Windows 7 over 8 or 10...  ;)

Just on this: Yeah, and that of itself is a problem, using a no longer supported OS vulnerable to all sorts of malicious stuff. Extremely clever trick that. Very, very brilliant (not).

Now, as to this bit:

If it's working for you, congrats, that doesn't mean there aren't people having issues, even if it ends up being a minority. Possibly millions use the app and aren't all registered in this site, no way of knowing if more people will have issues or not. And surely it's not because someone is "computer illiterate"

You're actually missing the point in saying that, because when it works fine on other computers, and not on yours plus the odd few others, then the issue isn't with e-Sword itself, and that means the problem isn't universal - its local. In other words, the problem exits on your side of the proverbial fence. So, if that is the actual case, then it behooves you to actually do some work to figure what it is actually happening.

So, retrace your steps, and see if there is something you did that you didn't do before or something you didn't do that you did before, and I'm certain you will solve your problem. Take notes on your procedures (steps) and compare them on what you did or didn't do on previous occasions.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 30 March 2021 - 06:02 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#26 Nuno Miguel

Nuno Miguel

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:59 AM

Just on this: Yeah, and that of itself is a problem, using a no longer supported OS vulnerable to all sorts of malicious stuff. Extremely clever trick that. Very, very brilliant (not).

Now, as to this bit:

You're actually missing the point in saying that, because when it works fine on other computers, and not on yours plus the odd few others, then the issue isn't with e-Sword itself, and that means the problem isn't universal - its local. In other words, the problem exits on your side of the proverbial fence. So, if that is the actual case, then it behooves you to actually do some work to figure what it is actually happening.

So, retrace your steps, and see if there is something you did that you didn't do before or something you didn't do that you did before, and I'm certain you will solve your problem. Take notes on your procedures (steps) and compare them on what you did or didn't do on previous occasions.

Just on the OS issue: Well, personally, I never had any security problems or viruses while using Windows 7 and I'm sure many others can say exactly the same thing. Fact is, it's supported by the app. As for vulnerabilities etc. 10 has had its fair share of problems since it was released, probably even more than 7.Anyway, back on topic shall we?

As for the problem itself, its being solved, I keep communicating with Rick and it seems we're on the right track. I'll be posting here my finds so that if others end up with the same type of issue they will know what to do. Thanks.

Edited by Nuno Miguel, 31 March 2021 - 08:03 AM.

#27 Son seeker

Son seeker

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:20 AM

Issue solved!

Rick found the source of the problem, at least for my setup:

e-Sword (even version 12) uses the legacy Windows Media Player to access audio sermons and Bibles. If the WMPlayer is not installed and activated on your PC then version 13 will not run.

In Windows 10 Settings under "Apps"/"Apps and features" you can see if the Windows Media Player is installed on your system. But it must also be activated. Example: On my PC it was listed under "additional features" as an "installed feature", yet was not activated. I had to use the Windows Key + R to open "Run" and input "optionalfeatures" to open the window allowing me to activate the WMPlayer. (See attached graphic.)

After that version 13 installed and ran correctly.

I hope this helps those few who had a similar problem.

And many thanks to Rick for going the "extra mile" with me to solve this issue.

Attached Files

#28 Nuno Miguel

Nuno Miguel

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:56 AM

Issue solved!

Rick found the source of the problem, at least for my setup:

e-Sword (even version 12) uses the legacy Windows Media Player to access audio sermons and Bibles. If the WMPlayer is not installed and activated on your PC then version 13 will not run.

In Windows 10 Settings under "Apps"/"Apps and features" you can see if the Windows Media Player is installed on your system. But it must also be activated. Example: On my PC it was listed under "additional features" as an "installed feature", yet was not activated. I had to use the Windows Key + R to open "Run" and input "optionalfeatures" to open the window allowing me to activate the WMPlayer. (See attached graphic.)

After that version 13 installed and ran correctly.

I hope this helps those few who had a similar problem.

And many thanks to Rick for going the "extra mile" with me to solve this issue.

Same thing here. It was disabled somehow on my PC, I use VLC for playing video and audio files. I would've never guessed the launch of the app would be dependent on this, specially since 12.2 started. Now it's working. Indeed, many thanks to Rick for all the trouble.

#29 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

I did not realize until last night that e-Sword uses Windows Media Player for it's audio components, this is another needed update to the e-Sword users manual's next revision.

#30 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:44 AM

The same used to apply if you did not have a printer installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users