Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#191 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

This was a fresh install. When I click on the icon the User Account window pops up and I click ok, but then nothing. I have 6 gigs of ram & lots of other good stuff.

There's our clue (in bold above). And I'm not sure of the answer. What does the user account window say? Did you happen to install e-Sword while logged in with one account, and now you're trying to run it while logged with another?

One long shot: can you try right clicking the e-Sword icon and choosing Run as Administrator

#192 ShaneMohammed7

ShaneMohammed7

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

I too own a win7 64x, it works on my os... but seems slower than usual, any reason for this?

#193 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

I too own a win7 64x, it works on my os... but seems slower than usual, any reason for this?

Are you noticing the slowdown on the NET Bible commentary? When I tested that commentary, the performance was horrible. As it turned out, there was a problem with the commentary itself. Other than that, I've seen no performance issues.

#194 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

Here is an interesting issue, and I'm not sure this is unique to e-Sword v10. I have my Scripture Tooltips set to a Translation which has all 66 canonical books in it, in this case, AKJV. I'm reading in a version that only has some of the NT books, and is the FBV - Free Bible Version, which is a work in progress. I'm reading the accompanying translation notes, which has tooltipped scripture references to books which are not yet in the FBV, and the tooltips do not appear. So, even though the Bible that the Scripture tooltips has all 66 books, if the verse does not appear in the currently version being read, tooltips do not fire. I can use the utility e-Sword HotKey and get the reference, so that is a work around without having to change versions in e-Sword. I suspect that v9 had the same issue, but for now I'm running v10, and enjoying it! :-)

Edited by BH., 31 October 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#195 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

It would be good if the STEP reader icon was returned to being next to the Graphic Viewer icon where it used to be.

+1

OTOH, that would make that screen look more cluttered.

jonathon

#196 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

If one day e-Sword supported a tagging system for finding resources in the Reference Library, that would be super cool.

One of the reasons I was advocating resources should contain the metadata table, was so that users could tag them. Not just topical files, but also Bible translations. Living Oracles gets tagged as start in "church of Christ", NiRV gets tagged as "feminist", etc. Commentaries get tagged as"dispensationalism", "preterist", "amillennial", post-millennial", etc.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 01 November 2011 - 07:34 AM.

#197 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

Here is an interesting issue, and I'm not sure this is unique to e-Sword v10.

i) That issue has been present in e-Sword for a very long time;
ii) I've come across it in other database driven Biblical software;
iii) The "graceful" fix is for a hard-coded "fallback" translation that does contain every verse that is liable to be linked to. This "fallback" translation would be the first translation consulted, and if found, the requested translation would be searched. If the verses isn't found, an error message stating that the requested verse is not part of a Canon known to e-Sword is trhown up. However, for this to not be too annoying, e-Sword also has to be able to convert between the various versification schemes. Vulgate Psalm versification v Hebrew psalm versification, Greek Esther 9:19a, etc.

jonathon

#198 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hmm, I suppose one folder (my documents\esword) is easier to backup than two (program files and my documents).

From my pov the only argument in favour of a different directory for each resource type is inodes.
  • How many people are going to include more resources than there are inodes in a directory?
  • Is it worth changing e-Sword to meet the technical requirements of a very small minority of e-Sword users?
I am assuming that the results of the poll about number of installed resources, that was done two years ago, is still applicable.

jonathon

#199 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

It is slow to install and slow to start the first time as well.

The first time I started it on a WinXP box, it took 45 minutes.
Subsequent starts take 423 seconds.
  • eMachine T3256
  • 3200 AMD Athalon XP Processor;
  • 512 MB RAM;
  • 1,819 files (3.88 GB) in the e-Sword resource directory;
jonathon

#200 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

As it turned out, there was a problem with the commentary itself. Other than that, I've seen no performance issues.

The same effect is present, albeit much less noticeable in the NET Bible and the REB Bible.

jonathon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users