Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#201 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

This was a fresh install. When I click on the icon the User Account window pops up and I click ok, but then nothing. I have 6 gigs of ram & lots of other good stuff.

Just some things you might try if you haven't. I assume you have rebooted. Look in control panel/programs and see if e-sword is listed, if it is try to uninstall it.

After you try to install wait several minutes before assuming nothing is happening. It may be working in the background and it is slow on the install.

#202 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

The first time I started it on a WinXP box, it took 45 minutes.
Subsequent starts take 423 seconds.

• eMachine T3256
  • 3200 AMD Athalon XP Processor;
  • 512 MB RAM;
  • 1,819 files (3.88 GB) in the e-Sword resource directory;
jonathon

So no one is scared off from e-Sword 10, I'll point out (with my bold above), that you're loading nearly 2,000 files/3.88 gigs of data on a computer with only 512megs of ram with a processor that debuted 12 years ago--and that's why it took 45 minutes. I know that you know that. But I want to make sure everyone knows that. :D

#203 vbsteve

vbsteve

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

So basically there are no new enhancements to the bible software...just a few editor features. Esword 6 with an HTML Editor ?? Why cant there be some real advances in the software like parsing the search results into something better than one big window?

Edited by vbsteve, 01 November 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#204 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

So basically there are no new enhancements to the bible software...just a few editor features. Esword 6 with an HTML Editor ?? Why cant there be some real advances in the software like parsing the search results into something better than one big window?

Hi,

There is not an HTML editor in e-Sword 10. Have you tried 10?

This version represents a huge step forward, with the introduction of the Reference Library. You can now view your topics files in a more user friendly environment. And search all of your topics once. This version begins the implementation of pictures into e-Sword. This version also lets you stop the average user from tampering with data in a topics file. These were probably the most requested features for years now.

The Reference Library search organizes the keyword hits by topic. The Bible, Commentary, and Dictionary search was completely overhauled a few versions ago. With things like e-Sword docking windows, regular expression search support, overhaul of the topics system, just to name a few, I would suggest e-Sword 6 is not in the same league as e-Sword 10

If you have a specific idea on parsing search results, feel free to share it. The developer of e-Sword reads this forum and says he gets his best ideas from users.

#205 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

So no one is scared off from e-Sword 10, I'll point out (with my bold above), that you're loading nearly 2,000 files/3.88 gigs of data on a computer with only 512megs of ram with a processor that debuted 12 years ago--and that's why it took 45 minutes. I know that you know that. But I want to make sure everyone knows that. :D

Jonathon emailed me to say he was stress testing e-Sword:

In your post 'not to scare anybody off" can you add the following:

I did an update from 8.x

I usually do the stress tests for new esword releases. Things that should fail, provide bad performance, etc.

I'd add a note to that effect, except i won't be at my desk, for most of the day, and my mobile devices do not contain passwords for websites.

jonathon

#206 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

"Jonathon emailed me to say he was stress testing e-Sword:"

Seems to me he is stress testing his computer and his patience :-)

#207 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

"Jonathon emailed me to say he was stress testing e-Sword:"

He says he has another stress test as well, with over 10,000 resources of each resource type. Interesting stuff.

#208 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

He says he has another stress test as well, with over 10,000 resources of each resource type. Interesting stuff.

Josh,
I can see it happening ... Jonathon's computer up in smoke. Now a crispy burnt offering :lol:

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1 21).

PS When I write a program I pray before debugging that it doesn't blow up my computer.
X (formerly Twitter)

#209 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hoping something like this is not to far off for eSword

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#210 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

For one version upgrade, it took almost two hours from the time I started e-Sword, until the time the screen appeared. By changing the initial conditions, I determined what the major causes of the delay were. Virtually none of the delay was due to Rick's programming.

For those who want to ensure the worst possible performance when upgrading, or using e-Sword:
  • Install the program on a class 1 type 1 USB drive;
  • Be sure to have skipped at least two, and preferably three or four version number upgrades of e-Sword;
  • Have at least ten thousand resources in your resource directory;
  • Install AV software that checks each byte that is read, and each byte that is written to each drive;
  • Install a firewall that checks each write to the hard drive;
  • Use Intel chips;
  • Use Win98 SE;
  • Have less than 256 MB RAM installed;
  • Make sure that at least 16 MB RAM is flaky;
  • Ensure that the hard drive fragmentation exceeds 50%;
  • Ensure that less than 5% of the hard drive is empty;
  • Ensure that less than 2% of the space of at least one partition is free;
  • Use a 60 GB hard drive, that has two 30 GB partitions on it;
  • Watch a video on the computer, whilst waiting for e-Sword to start;
  • Do the upgrade on Patch Tuesday, having skipped the upgrades offered from the four or five previous Patch Tuesday updates;
  • Include a number of resources that almost, but don't quite, adhere to e-Sword Resource Specification 2;
For those that want to cruise along with e-Sword;
  • Keep the total number of installed resources to under 500;
  • Keep disk de-fragmentation to under 5%;
  • Keep at least 40% of the hard drive empty;
  • Use internal SATA drives;
  • Frequently empty your recycle bin;
  • Do not use anti-malware software that inspects each byte that is read from the drive;
  • Install 4 GB RAM;
  • Use AMD chips;
  • Keep your system patched and up to date;
  • Use e-Sword after Patch Tuesday has done its thing;
###

Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month, when Microsoft releases all of the security updates, and other upgrades to the software that they currently support.

jonathon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users