Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

some programs I use to help with Module creation

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

Secondly, the KJV is not in the Public Domain but is (I dunno what the actual correct term is) under the copyright of the Crown (that is like copyright of the monarch of Great Britain).

Litterae Patentes, better known as Letters Patent is the term you are looking for. Slightly different from Crown Copyright, which is what I used to think that the KJV was distributed under.

jonathon

#32 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

The KJV is public domain in the US and in almost every other country who is not under her Majesty's rule. In the countries under British rule or law, it is still copyrighted.

#33 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

The KJV is public domain in the US and in almost every other country who is not under her Majesty's rule. In the countries under British rule or law, it is still copyrighted.

Haha, wow, I never thought we'd have to defend whether the KJV is in the public domain. Only in the world of e-Sword. Correct, Bradley, public domain in the United States and most parts of the world. :)

#34 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Haha, wow, I never thought we'd have to defend whether the KJV is in the public domain. Only in the world of e-Sword. Correct, Bradley, public domain in the United States and most parts of the world. :)

Well, it makes sense that Esword would have to honor what ever rights are held in England. It is available all over the net in multiple formats. It is just a matter of finding the right one that can be worked with without significant effort. It is by far the best translation, though it has it's share of errors there are fewer than most translations. It seems translators just cannot help but put their little bit of bias on things, no matter what..

Thanks to everyone that helped clear that up for me.. apprecaited.

Edited by MJ_, 20 May 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#35 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

states its the 1611 version

http://printkjv.ifbweb.com/#downloads

different KJV's
http://www.jesus-is-...ble/KJB/pce.htm

Edited by DSaw, 20 May 2012 - 04:26 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#36 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

It is just a matter of finding the right one that can be worked with without significant effort. It is by far the best translation, though it has it's share of errors there are fewer than most translations. It seems translators just cannot help but put their little bit of bias on things, no matter what..

Were you wanting to make your own translation or rendition based on the KJV?

#37 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Were you wanting to make your own translation or rendition based on the KJV?

That is correct. I would like to have a complete bible in the form of the KJV or similar, My goal is to create my own unique, for private use version, over writing the first five books with the Fenton translation.

I was able to extract a complete bible using T4, from the AKJV, which should be adequate for the intended use.

states its the 1611 version http://printkjv.ifbweb.com/#downloads different KJV's http://www.jesus-is-...ble/KJB/pce.htm

These two links offer some alternatives that would also suffice with some minor changes.
I'm prone to take the path of least resistance, as it is really the fenton that I am after.

#38 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Litterae Patentes, better known as Letters Patent is the term you are looking for. Slightly different from Crown Copyright, which is what I used to think that the KJV was distributed under.

Hi Jonathon,
Thanks for putting up the actual term.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#39 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm prone to take the path of least resistance, as it is really the fenton that I am after.

Haven't heard of Fenton but I see his translation on the internet. I guess no one's made an e-Sword module of Fenton's translation.

#40 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi Brad and Josh,
Here I find an interesting contrast come conflict with American's love/hate relationship with all things British.
  • The KJV is the King James Bible, named after King James 1, a British monarch.
  • The American's declared independence from Great Britain, ditched the Monarchy, and fought a war so that they could have independence.
  • A great deal of American Evangelical Christians (and probably heaps of non Evangelical ones) swear by that this British Bible as the most authentic and accurate English translation over and above ... now get this ... any American Bible Translation.
Now I really reckon that has to be one for the books. I couldn't have believed this as possible until I've seen it, and here I see it again.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users