Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

some programs I use to help with Module creation

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Why does the KJV, and some others, translate all the 'names' of God as 'Lord' or 'LORD'? I've always wondered that.

It comes from the Jewish tradition of not saying the name Jehovah publicly. If I remember my Hebrew history correctly, it was a tradition of the Pharisees to make sure no one took His name in vain. So, when they would read a passage aloud with the Tetragrammaton (JHVH or YHVH) they would use the Hebrew word Adonai, which means Lord. As a result, most translations take the same approach and don't use Jehovah, but instead use the word LORD (in caps).

Of course, we could also get into "how was the name of God pronounced?" discussion/argument, but until someone else chases that rabbit, I'm quitting. :)

#52 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

MJ,

If you are interested in getting the Ferrar Fenton Bible made for e-Sword, then it will require some heavy-duty proofreading. It would be a slow process, but it can be done. If you are interested in working through it, let me know and I'll give you instructions on exactly what to do and how to do it.

Brad

#53 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

The OCR'd version in the zip file is pretty much unusable, in my opinion. Part of it is illegible, part of it reads as though it were German. And the verse numbers are still in the margin instead of at the beginning of the verse. By this, I mean that it is in paragraph format, and whichever line verse 4 starts in (even if verse 4 starts at the very end of the line), the number 4 appears in the margin at the beginning of the line (meaning the number 4 appears in the midst of verse 3).

Unless someone just LOVED this Bible and wanted to go through the work of setting it up in a decent order, this Bible will not be made into an e-Sword module anytime soon. At least, not one that is worth distributing.

That is also my assessment. What is floating around, at least on the web is not very good. I bought two copies of this bible, both from Destiny publishers. Both use the same fonts and appear to be made from the scans not from any type set machine or word processor. It really is too bad to see such a great work unavailble to esword users.

Every few years I will set a schedule for reading and go through the entire bible, this version is one that I read from cover to cover. The binding was so poor that when I was done I had to have it rebound. the new binding was by a local vendor and was much better than the original binding.

I recently saw a couple copies, I am assuming to be originals, pre 1960's that were selling for around $500 on the web. Not sure if that is realistic price or not. Perhaps Ebed could give some insight he is big collector of antique and collectable bibles.

Getting back on point. At some time in the future, with Gods help and permission I expect to have at least the first five books of the translation available for esword.

#54 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

MJ,

If you are interested in getting the Ferrar Fenton Bible made for e-Sword, then it will require some heavy-duty proofreading. It would be a slow process, but it can be done. If you are interested in working through it, let me know and I'll give you instructions on exactly what to do and how to do it.

Brad

I totally missed this message on my first pass through the forum.. I am definitely in this to get at least the first five books of the Fenton translation done. May be able to get some help along the way.. we'll see..

#55 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

hi Brad,

I can get all 66 books in pdf and ocr them and upload them if MJ is wiling to do the main part of proof reading?
If so I can do that in the next two days and upload the pdf and ocr (rtf) files to be spell checked.

thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#56 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

If I remember my Hebrew history correctly, it was a tradition of the Pharisees to make sure no one took His name in vain.

Of course, we could also get into "how was the name of God pronounced?" discussion/argument, but until someone else chases that rabbit, I'm quitting. :)

Hi Brad,

Now I'm not going to try to tell you of how that its "suppose" to be pronounced, because there are approximately (now, please don't faint or fall off your chair LOL) 30 ( or is it 3) thousand ways to pronounce that name. All the different pronunciations bring about a variation to the meaning of the Divine name. And each pronunciation is used in its own context. In other words, the different ways the name is pronounced can only be used in the context it belongs.So, there it is for you bro.

For more information on the Divine Name, visit http://messiahalive.net I thoroughly recommend it to you.

Tell me if you fainted and/or have fallen off your chair as a result of having read that.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 21 May 2012 - 06:23 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#57 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Believe it or not, I've actually looked through parts of that website before. It is referenced in the Testimony of Yeshua Bible/commentary modules I uploaded.

I found it interesting that one popular pronunciation was said to be blasphemous in its actual meaning in Hebrew/Aramaic.

It's .net, though.

:)

#58 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

hi Brad,

I can get all 66 books in pdf and ocr them and upload them if MJ is wiling to do the main part of proof reading?
If so I can do that in the next two days and upload the pdf and ocr (rtf) files to be spell checked.

thanks
Patchworkid

I think we might be all set on the scanning part. We'll know more in a couple days how everything works out. Hold that thought! And save up that energy! :rolleyes:

#59 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi,

OK! Thanks
back to my Study Bible :D
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users