Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a way to write your own hover comments?

5 replies to this topic

#1 pparker

pparker

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

What I mean is, so your comments would show up in the same way that it does when you hover over a  word in the KJV+ version.. It would be great way to add comments to any verse so you don't have to go to the editors all the time. Does anyone know how to do this?  (Or if you have a better idea please tell me) thanks!

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

Unfortunately, no.  About the closest thing you can do is have you editors (study notes) open in an adjacent window and "chained" to your chapter and verses you are studying.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

What I mean is, so your comments would show up in the same way that it does when you hover over a  word in the KJV+ version.. It would be great way to add comments to any verse so you don't have to go to the editors all the time. Does anyone know how to do this?  (Or if you have a better idea please tell me) thanks!

It might be possible using Microsoft word as an editor as MS Word has the functionality to create screen or tool tips in documents that can be saved as rtf files which can then be made into e-sword modules using the Tooltip module creator

#4 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

e-Sword can not really do this for you, but, if you care to try out theWORD, you can do that type of thing with that software.

The closest you can get to that here is not a pop up, but using a unique link like N1 or N2 (one that does not repeat unless you actually intend on showing the SAME note) you create a dictionary module with that link text as the index entry, then when you click on the note, the correct entry will display in the dictionary window, tha same way it would to display a word definition.

Note: This is how the Strong's number system works. If you click on a Strong's number, the corresponding dictionary entry will display in the Dictionary window (if you have the Strong's Tab showing, and the link function turned on). The only real diference is that e-Sword 'Knows' to look for the Strong's number (H999 or G999) as a text pattern, and if that pattern is found then the dictionary info is displayed in a pop-up (without having to click on it). That Strong's info comes from a dictionary module.

Roy

Edited by Roy, 02 December 2015 - 09:58 PM.

#5 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

I've done some experimenting with inserting screentips in MS Word, saving as an RTF file, and using ToolTip Tool to convert to a Bible file, but to no avail.

The RTF file in MS Word shows the link and the pop-up tooltip.  Tooltip Tool shows the link as being active, and when I click on it right, I can see the formatting.  But once it converts to bblx, there's no link at all.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Just to give you a basic idea of how ToolTips work.

Tooltips are part and parcel of Windows Operating System, and when placing in ToolTips to appear in the way it does in e-Sword (and similar Bible software), is programmed into it.

In C# (C Sharp), the code looks like this:

Firstly there  has to be a System variable declared pointing to what is being used:

using System.Windows.Forms;

Then to tooltip has to be given a unique name and declared a a new tooltip:

ToolTip tltToolTip1 = new ToolTip();

Once this has been done, then the tooltip has to be set in order for it to be loaded and to pop up:

tltToolTip1.SetToolTip(//type in the argument for where the tooltip is to come from, or type in the string (text) for the tooltip);

Usually, when tooltips are programmably done in programs such as e-Sword, it usually comes from a type of string variable having been declared, and then outputted as a variablename.ToString or something similar.

Watch this space for more on ToolTips.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users