Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Change Bible Window display layout (esp. verse references)

2 replies to this topic

#1 dleigh

dleigh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

Hi, while I've known about e-sword for quite some time, I'm new to using it.  I have a question for which I've searched the forums but didn't find an answer (that IS perhaps there).

I find that the display layout of the verses in the Bible Window is "encumbered" by the repetition of the book abbreviation and chapter number for each verse.  My question is, is there a parameter (or even a hack) to change this?

For example, instead of this:

Psa 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Psa 133:2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
Psa 133:3 It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forever.

I'd prefer something like this:

Psa 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!
 2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
 3 It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forever.

Thanks!

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:32 AM

Short answer, no.  "Workaround" answer Sort of.

Select the portiion you want to read (Control A, if you want the whole chapter), right click select "Copy Verses, select layout option 3.  Paste to word processor, read.  

Psalms 133:1-3 NASB
(1)  A Song of Ascents, of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!
(2)  It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
(3)  It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forever.

If download HotKey (availible on this site (http://www.biblesupp...e-sword-hotkey/) the process is a bit easier.

Hope this helps.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hi, while I've known about e-sword for quite some time, I'm new to using it.  I have a question for which I've searched the forums but didn't find an answer (that IS perhaps there).

I find that the display layout of the verses in the Bible Window is "encumbered" by the repetition of the book abbreviation and chapter number for each verse.  My question is, is there a parameter (or even a hack) to change this?

For example, instead of this:

Psa 133:2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
Psa 133:3 It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forever.

I'd prefer something like this:

2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
 3 It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forever.

Thanks!

Hi,

Tim Butterfield is correct when he said,

Short answer, no.

And the reason for this is that what you see in the Bible window is the way e-Sword has been programmed to output (display) the data (information) in the database file.

Now, going by what I've seen and in what I've experienced, when it comes to the display of chapters and verses in the Bible window, is about pretty much the same right across the board. I would say its  the generic and default method to display Bible references in the Bible window irrespective of what Bible software one is using. About the only difference one would find are Bible programs which use a text document type file(s) instead of a database file for the Bible itself.

I hope this information is helpful to you in understanding a bit of how e-Sword (and other similar Bible programs) work.

For more information about the way e-Sword works, there are a couple of pdf files which covers this topic:

e-Sword and Databases Parts 1&2

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 18 October 2015 - 04:02 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users