Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Module Robot found a huge stash of PDFs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

The Module Robot's been looking for Christian PDFs that we can possibly make into e-Sword modules. This is part of what the Module Robot has found. The zip file is 745 megs, and uncompressed I'd guess its several gigs. There are over 2,000 PDFs and most of the text is selectable (as opposed to scanned text that cannot be extracted).

All appear to be public domain works, some from authors I recognize and a lot I don't. A lot are PDFs, a handful are in some old ebook format, and a couple are in HTML help format. I don't believe any are subject to a copyright. And I can't necessarily vouch for the doctrine's presented--they are all over the place. Virtually every public domain author I've ever seen is represented here. I recognize some as e-Sword modules already.

I'm going to throw this in the downloads section for those of you who make modules. In the coming days, I'll go through the rest of the material the Robot has found and zip it up as well.

http://www.biblesupp...istian-pdfszip/

#2 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

Good find, quite the selection of authors. Little of everything.

This file brings me to two points.

1. The need (in my mind) to set a standard for file naming. These are all by author, but some with first name first and some with last name first which makes for a double scan to find what you want. Add that to some esword modules with author first, some with title first, you add more confusion. The perfectionist I am requires me to rename all files ..... :lol:

Last name first, first name, title OR title, last name, first name would be the two choices I would opt for and think title first would be the handiest.

2. The desire to have a pdf reader added to e-sword so you could just open a window and see all of your pdfs, similar to the step reader. Even if it was an icon to open a window of titles then when you clicked on the title you want adobe reader would open to it would be nice.

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

1. The need (in my mind) to set a standard for file naming.

+1

Last name first, first name, title

Would be my second choice.

My first choice would be langauge_last name_first name_title_year month day of publication.

2. The desire to have a pdf reader added to e-sword so you could just open a window and see all of your pdfs, similar to the step reader.

File a Request for Enhancement with Rick.

FWIW, at least one e-Sword topical file is nothing more than an index to PDFs.

jonathon

#4 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

"FWIW, at least one e-Sword topical file is nothing more than an index to PDFs."

Have a title so I don't have to search 240+ pages of topical files? :lol:

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Have a title so I don't have to search 240+ pages of topical files? :lol:

No. :(

The Internet Anthology topical file resources that Dr Dave (I think) created are similar in construction to those PDF topical files.

jonathon

#6 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

Thanks.

#7 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

1. The need (in my mind) to set a standard for file naming. These are all by author, but some with first name first and some with last name first which makes for a double scan to find what you want. Add that to some esword modules with author first, some with title first, you add more confusion. The perfectionist I am requires me to rename all files ..... :lol:

Last name first, first name, title OR title, last name, first name would be the two choices I would opt for and think title first would be the handiest.

The following is from: http://e-sword-users...users/node/3390
There was a PDF file of this but the download link is no longer active.

@ Josh, is this PDF still available or were you going to add it to the users guide?

e-Sword Users File Naming Conventions

Purpose of this Document

The purpose of this document is to establish a standard convention for the naming of user made e-Sword modules that are created and hosted by e-Sword Users. This document will address the following naming convention issues:

• Raw file naming format and the length in characters of the raw file names for e-Sword user made modules that use tabs.
  • Raw file naming format and the length in characters of the raw file names for the e-Sword user made modules that do not use tabs.
  • Executable file naming format and the length in characters of the executable file names for e-Sword user made modules.
  • Tab naming for e-Sword user made modules that use tabs.
  • Tool Tip contents for e-Sword user made modules.

Some Points for Understanding

What does the term “raw file” mean?

Raw files are the modules that are used by e-Sword to display something. For the purpose of this document the term “raw file” will include only these 15 user creatable module types- .anlx, .bblx, .brpx, .cmtx, .dctx, .devx, .harx, .lstx. .mapx, .memx, .notx, .ovlx, .prlx, .tip, and .topx.

What does the term “executable file” mean?

In the e-Sword Users context, the term “executable file” refers to the files that our users download, and then execute to install the downloaded module into e-Sword.

What does the term “tab name” mean?

Tab name refers to the name e-Sword displays on the tab for any given module that utilizes the tabs in the e-Sword interface. Remember, not all e-Sword modules utilize the tabs.

Can the different types e-Sword modules be grouped together?

Yes, they can be grouped in to two basic groups (bullet points 1 and 2), and two sub groups (bullet points 3 and 4).

• The modules that use tabs in e-Sword are: .bblx, .cmtx, .devx, .dctx, .harx and .mapx*. For the remainder of this document we will refer to this module grouping as the “Tab Modules Group”.
  • The modules that don’t use tabs in e-Sword are: .anlx*, .brpx*, .lstx*, .memx*, .notx*, .ovlx*, prlx*, and .topx. For the remainder of this document we will refer to this module grouping as the “Non-Tab Modules Group”.
  • .tip: Only one file of this type is used by e-Sword and it is named: e-Sword.tip. This file contains the startup tips that appear when you first start e-Sword. This is a user editable plain text file.
  • .illx*, locx*: Only one file of each of these types can be used. They are NOT user creatable or user editable. Furthermore, they are ONLY distributable by e Sword.net.

* These are “closed file formats”1.

How does e-Sword sort modules for display?

e-Sword always sorts and displays modules by the raw file name. For the tab name to be sorted alphabetically, it must correlate with the raw file name.

The Conventions

Convention #1- Raw File Names

• All raw file names must be no greater than 250 characters in length2, 3, including the file extension.
  • The white spaces in raw file names of the Tab Modules Group may be filled with “_” underscores.
  • All raw file names of the Tab Modules Group must begin with the tab name followed by a dash and then the name, or simply be named the same as the tab name, as in the following examples

KJV-King James Version.bblx
-or-
KJV-King_James_Version.bblx
-or-
KJV.bblx

• All raw file names of the Non-Tab Modules Group must begin with the author’s last name, followed by a comma and the followed by the first name or initial (if known) and middle initial (if known), followed by a dash and the name of the book, article, sermon, etc., as in the following example. Furthermore, all white spaces should be left unfilled.

Reisinger, EC-God's Will, Man's Will and Free Will.topx

Convention #2- Executable File Names

• All executable file names must be no greater than 250 characters in length2, including the file extension.
  • The white spaces in all executable file names must be filled with “_” underscores.
  • There will be no punctuation in any executable file name, only alpha-numeric characters are allowed.
  • All executable file names must include the e-Sword version compatibility number.
  • All characters in all executable file names must be in lowercase. See the example below.

reisinger_ec_gods_will_mans_will_and_free_will_9x.exe
-or-
kjv_9x.exe

Convention #3- Tab Names

The decision on the naming of tab names is really left to the module creator. However, for standardization we recommend the following guidelines.

Keep it short! Long tab names take up valuable real estate.
Capitals are always a good rule.
Be concise; avoid including conjunctions like “and” or “for”, or demonstratives like “the”, or prepositions like “to” or “on”.
Always try and use the most commonly known abbreviation, if there is one.

Example:
Name of Bible- The Authorized King James Version
Tab Name- KJV

Convention #4- Tool Tip Content

The decision on what the Tool Tip contains is really left to the module creator. However, for standardization we recommend the following guideline.

• At a minimum, use the entire name of the book.

Notes:

• "Closed File Formats" are the resources that Rick, the author of e-Sword, did not publicly release information about the database tables. For various reasons, he'd prefer that the only user created content for these resource types be created from within e-Sword, or, if that is not possible, to not be created by users.
  • When naming files you may want to consider the fact that the Joliet, Long Joliet, ISO 9660, UDF and other CD/DVD/Blu-ray authoring standards all call for file names of varying lengths; some shorter then the 250 character length we allow. The basic idea is to keep the file name as short as possible. This may help avoid any issues with the truncation of file names. Truncation is an issue of file name shortening that can be encountered during the burning of files to CD, DVD or Blu-ray, depending upon the authoring standard you are using.
  • For Pocket e-Sword, only the first thirteen characters of the file name are readable. Use those characters to make it easy for users to differentiate between two similar resources. (EG: KJV-1611.bbl, KJV-1768.bbl)

Scribe

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, adding some variation of that document to this site is on my list of things to do. But you know, this document wouldn't apply to PDF's in a bulk zip. These weren't provided for study with e-Sword for an end user. They were provided as raw content for module makers...

josh

#9 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

@ Josh, is this PDF still available or were you going to add it to the users guide?

Note in passing that e-Sword-users.org honoured it in the breach thereof.

jonathon

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

The Module Robot's been looking for Christian PDFs that we can possibly make into e-Sword modules. This is part of what the Module Robot has found. The zip file is 745 megs, and uncompressed I'd guess its several gigs. There are over 2,000 PDFs and most of the text is selectable (as opposed to scanned text that cannot be extracted).

All appear to be public domain works, some from authors I recognize and a lot I don't. A lot are PDFs, a handful are in some old ebook format, and a couple are in HTML help format. I don't believe any are subject to a copyright. And I can't necessarily vouch for the doctrine's presented--they are all over the place. Virtually every public domain author I've ever seen is represented here. I recognize some as e-Sword modules already.

I'm going to throw this in the downloads section for those of you who make modules. In the coming days, I'll go through the rest of the material the Robot has found and zip it up as well.

http://www.biblesupp...istian-pdfszip/

Josh,
May be slow here, but its better than not getting there. Anyway, mate, that massive zip file that Module Robot uploaded, could that be unzipped and uploaded there as single files so one can pick and choose what one wants to do???

I know this can be a bit of a hassle, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Have a fantastic and blessed new year.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users