Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions...Planning new Bible and Footnote Modules

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hi all,

I am planning to create a new bible module as well as a module to display footnotes (commentary or dictionary format?). I have some programming experience but nothing in SQL. In the beginning of the ToolTip NT-2.10 tutorial, it mentions using SQLite since. I think this would be the best way to go if I'm to start from the ground up with my bible and commentary texts but I'm not sure. I'm not real clear which SQLite download i need (for Windows 7) and how I would go about getting my content into tables.

My bible text is full of footnotes (often numerous footnotes per verse). Here's what I envision:

My bible module will have footnotes that appear as the Strong's numbering as in the KJV+ bible but they open a dictionary to that particular footnote. In the footnote (as in the Strong's dictionary) there are links, rather than just tooltips, to a second instance, if possible, of the same bible module or to a completely different bible module, or to the web.

So my questions are:

1. Should I bother converting my texts to SQLite first? If so, how and with which download? (My footnotes (dictionary defs) are in a seperate txt file from my bible text txt file.)
  2. Can I control the new (lower) window split? (I can't seem to navigate this in e-sword, i.e. go to different book/chapter/verse)
  3. Can it split more than once? (Can I view Gen 1:1, John 1:1, and Rev 1:1 all from KVJ+ at the same time?)
  4. Can I display two bible module panes simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!!

Chule

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi all,

I am planning to create a new bible module as well as a module to display footnotes (commentary or dictionary format?). I have some programming experience but nothing in SQL. In the beginning of the ToolTip NT-2.10 tutorial, it mentions using SQLite since. I think this would be the best way to go if I'm to start from the ground up with my bible and commentary texts but I'm not sure. I'm not real clear which SQLite download i need (for Windows 7) and how I would go about getting my content into tables.

My bible text is full of footnotes (often numerous footnotes per verse). Here's what I envision:

My bible module will have footnotes that appear as the Strong's numbering as in the KJV+ bible but they open a dictionary to that particular footnote. In the footnote (as in the Strong's dictionary) there are links, rather than just tooltips, to a second instance, if possible, of the same bible module or to a completely different bible module, or to the web.

So my questions are:

1. Should I bother converting my texts to SQLite first? If so, how and with which download? (My footnotes (dictionary defs) are in a seperate txt file from my bible text txt file.)
  2. Can I control the new (lower) window split? (I can't seem to navigate this in e-sword, i.e. go to different book/chapter/verse)
  3. Can it split more than once? (Can I view Gen 1:1, John 1:1, and Rev 1:1 all from KVJ+ at the same time?)

Thanks in advance!!

Chule

Hi Chule,

What an adventure and an incredibe ride you're going to take, and I will be looking forward to your completion of this project.

If you are going to use SQLite Database itself, or SQLite Manager or SQLite Browser, the one thing you do not need to do is reinvent the proverbial wheel. In other words, there is no need to create a new database file for your project. Simply open up an extisting 3rd part Bible file, and use that as your template for your new Bible.

With regard to SQLite programming goes, well fortunately none is needed and none is required. So that will take a huge work load off your plate. However, you will need some rtf coding knowledge, as that you will need to type in manually in order to make your links work, i.e., for your Strong Number links, e.g., G123 and/or H123 in your Scripture text, just type the rtf code for it as, {\G11\super G123} and that's all that needs to be done. e-Sword does the rest.

However, there is even a better way, which is even much more faster, of which you don't even need to use SQLite of any description, simply use ToolTip Tool NT (T4) for your project. Once Completed you can export your Bible project as a bblx file.

Ok now for the answers to your three questions.

1. On Q1, Not required to do so
  2. On Q2. Yes, Split the screen first, then select either or both the version and/or the book and chaper you wish to go to. The Bottom spit screen remains the same. Only the top split screen will change.
  3. On Q3. No.
  4. On Q4. Only in Split Screen mode, beyond that, sorry doesn't work.

I'm sorry I can't help you more, but I trust the imformation I've shared does help you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 05 November 2014 - 04:12 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the help on this! Can both the dictionary and the commentary redirect the bible nav? I only see this happening in the commentary with the default e-sword install.

Would there be any way around #4? I suppose I could put a bible inside a commentary file and then the commentary bible verse could link back to a different bible file? Or does the commentary only link within the currently open bible? Time to check out some example files in ToolTip Tool NT I guess.

Anyone know where I can find an example module of Strong's Hebrew and Greek as is used with KJV+? I downloaded Dictionary of Proper BIBLE Names by J B Jackson.dctx but this won't open in ToolTip Tool NT for me to use as an example.

Edited by chulew, 05 November 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:23 AM

Hi

can you I upload a sample of your bible in text file along with a sample of your commentary and dictionary so we can help you better.

You can take a look at my Study bible set to see how I did mine. Check out Gen chapter 1-4 to see my links as pop ups.

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:47 AM

So my questions are:

Thanks in advance!!

Chule

Have you tried The compare or parallel modes these are located with the bible tabs

You can select what bibles you want displayed from the options Menu then select compare

in Parallel mode you select the bible at the top of the column 

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#6 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

Ok, so I figured out I had to split the Dictionary of Proper BIBLE Names by J B Jackson bblx in order to open it (and the default KJV+ bible and Strong's dictionary won't open due to policy. I got my "footnotes" dictionary created but I'm having some formatting issues with my bblx due to formatting issues. I am just taking my first few baby steps so stumbling around a bit will be normal and I understand.

Is there any allowance for specifying what list appears in the e-sword Bible Books and Chapters navigation lists? I see there is switching to and from Deuterocanonical Book lists (Apocrypha) but what if I want to use an alternate set of book names and/or my own chapter/verse deliniation? For example, if I just want to refer to Genesis-Deuteronomy as Book 1-5 or simply "Torah" 1-5. And maybe I don't want the user to see a chapter transition between Rev 13 and 14. How flexible are the book/chapter navigation panes/lists?

@patchworkid, I really appreciate your willingness to help but I'm not ready to post anything yet. This is more of a personal study tool for me although I may share it at some point. I will definitly take a look at how you did you Study bible set. I'm sure it will be very helpful.

@DSaw, Since my bible will be quite a different framework, I'm afraid that the parallel option won't work. I would like to keep the context of the original location open and viewable while displaying at least a second passage of the same book if not a third and forth but I may be asking too much so I'll be happy to get just a second view for now, even if this must be done with a commentary module.

Thanks again to all! This is quite exciting!

#7 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

@DSaw, Since my bible will be quite a different framework, I'm afraid that the parallel option won't work. I would like to keep the context of the original location open and viewable while displaying at least a second passage of the same book if not a third and forth but I may be asking too much so I'll be happy to get just a second view for now, even if this must be done with a commentary module.

Thanks again to all! This is quite exciting!

I don't know if this will fit your study method and how much screen real estate you have but you can open a second instance of eSword

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#8 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

That's an option! Can e-sword launch another instance of itself from the modules?

#9 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yes but you have to associate the module type  .BBLX ot what ever module type you choose open with esword.exe

NOTE: it will just open esword it will not open to the specified Module

AND also if you use the module installer clicking on that module type will not open the installer

edit

This works from windows explorer not from with in esword

Edited by DSaw, 06 November 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#10 chulew

chulew

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

More good info, thanks!

What does this note on page 59 of the TootTip NT manual mean exactly (re: Modules > Bible > Save Bible File [...])?

"NOTE: The first save option above can be used if your Bible text is in the [book]/chap:verse format. Rather than the “Gen 1:2 verse text” in our example, you would enter: “[Gen]/1:2 verse text”."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users